• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Broad Street

• Thread starter Thread starter rianne1974
  • Start date Start date
Funny thing that a stitcher, I remember being slightly amazed when a youngster at the amount of ex-naval men in Birmingham, just about as far from the sea you could get on this Island.
Regards Paul

Hello Paul, Re. your comment about the number of Naval Men in Birmingham, I have wondered for some years if they are banned from wearing their uniform in public as most military men are. U
nfortunately like most of my pictures this one has very little information with it. I have saved pictures and bits about the city and suburbs for years but I was always been too busy to make much use of them before I retired. I am still constantly occupied with my garden and sewing but I do have a little more time these days.
I am now sorting the last 200 or so pictures so I hope there are a few interesting ones amongst them.

From the uniforms this would appear to be pre 1948 as white cap covers were used from then onwards. The officer taking the salute appears to be a rear admiral.

Thnks for that bit of info David, halfway up the picture we can just see a small whits triange and that is the edge of The Hall of Memory which was completed in 1925.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Stitcher, yes "re: your #435 thread" service personnel were banned from dressing in uniform whilst off duty, or in public whilst on duty, (excepting state, or public duties) by the MOD from about 1972, due to the Irish Terrorist threat.
regards paul

Funny thing that a stitcher, I remember being slightly amazed when a youngster at the amount of ex-naval men in Birmingham, just about as far from the sea you could get on this Island.
Regards Paul

The Navy would've wanted men who were used to working with heavy, complex machinery, I should think.

Plenty of them in Brum.

Could very much be true Baz, also when national service was in men tended to be selected where most needed, by whatever service!!.
paul

i am attempting to re-post some images in their original posts pre hack catastrophe. It is time consuming but I will do one every now and again until I have done all the ones I have got.

Broad Street.jpg
I had the details of this photo on a slip of paper which I have mislaid. If/when I find it I will add it to the post.

That is Aukinleck House Five Ways in the background which was built about 1962 which will date the photo to the 1960s

Used to work in Calthorpe Road mid 66 onwards for a few years, and I remember them using Auchinleck House for a film which Cilla Black was in, think it was 68. We all came out at lunchtimes to have a gander.

xc.jpeg
A new layout under progress for Five Ways. 1923.

img686.jpg
I know we have discussed the 'Dolls Hospital' before but I have just come across this picture.

View attachment 76776
Anew layout under progress for Five Ways. 1923.

I just don't recognise this as Five Ways. Can anyone help?

The Cilla Black film was Work is a Four Letter Word her only staring film role. Like Zambodini, I was working in Calthorpe Road at the time and I remember at lunch time watching the filming in the foyer of Auchinleck House. The Five Ways roundabout was still bing built at that time and there was a big space in front of Auchinleck House where we all stood and watched.

The information I have is that Five Ways was re-developed in 1923 to accomodate the large increase in motor vehicles, I don't suppose the numbers of motor vehicles were that great but we have to remember that prior to this, horse drawn vehicles had been the main mode of transport.

Again, I just know that Big Gee, Lloyd or one of the otheres will enlighten us.

zz - Copy.jpeg.....nn.jpeg
No date with the first one and the second one in/was a mass rally to celebrate the 70th birthday of Joseph Chamberlain in 1906.

Even today after all those years Stitcher, I can see our room highlighted by the flames and flickering red, off walls and furniture, it always gives me a warm safe and comfortable feeling.
paul

View attachment 76842
I used to love our moms coal fire.

I also loved a coal fire. We'd make up stories about what we could see in the glowing coals and. flames. I loved the sight of the different colours in the flames from blue, through reds to almost white. All seemed magical when you were a kid. Yes I too loved the glow from a good fire. My great grandmother had a grocery shop and also sold coal from a coalyard. Been a very long time since I heard the word 'slack'. That consisted of thin slivers of coal and dusty bits. Don't know what cobbles were though. The downside was clearing out the ashpan, but well worth it for the homeliness of a good fire, in front of which you'd sip on a mug of Bournvita or Ovaltine before bedtime and a frrrrrreeeeeezzzzzing cold bedroom. Viv.

Sounds wonderful Viv, I had an Ovaltine mug with a face and a night cap to keep the drink warm, and was an Ovaltiny.
paul

We had two of the mugs with Mr Moon faces on them. They were a sort of beige colour, glossy and quite tall. But we didn't have the night cap. Oops just realised we're on "Broad Street" thread, was thinking we were on "Products that have faded away". Apologies if I'd strayed. Viv.

ss.jpeg
I would like to tell you that this is one of my sketches but I do not tell fibs.
It is the top end of Broad Street and is simply lisred as a drawing.

kk.jpeg
Most of us will have heard of BEENY'S but how many of us knoew all these facts?

Hello David, that would I believe be the Christian Science Church.

Back