• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Broad Street

• Thread starter Thread starter rianne1974
  • Start date Start date
Thanks - although I think it may be of the Bulls head and I've seen one or two of those over the years, I'm thinking of a picture the other way across the intersection to the corner shop.
Tom

bhgt.jpeg
William Bowater was a dentist who became Lord Mayor of Birmingham. His premises on Broad Street were demolished and Brannigans Bar was to stand on the same site some years later. He worked tirelessly for all the Birmingham battalions and was knighted for all his efforts. He later became Deputy Lord Lietenant of Warwickshire.

Here's a couple of pic's of Broad Street.
I must have lifted these off the Forum at some point in time so appologies to whoever posted them originally.

CITY BROAD STREET ....jpgCITY BROAD STREET.jpg

There's a little irony in the second photo "Caution road narrows" on Broad Street?!!! Apologies, had an afternnon in the glorious sunshine and it's gone to my head. Great photos too. Viv.

View attachment 75294
Bishopsgate Street junction with Broad Street 1964 I remember the bearing shop and Stamford & Mann the stationers.

Have been away for a few days in the Lake District so am catching up. From the cars parked I know that I am of an age when I should have remembered that church but I don't recognise it. Stamford and Mann is a very familiar name but I can recall only their New Street main shop not this branch. The ball bearing shop was always an oddity and must have been left over from the days when there was industry in this area.

Hi DavidGrain
It's Church of the Messiah, over the canal. Astoness and Stitcher posted some lovely ones on the "Church of the Messiah Broad Street (Unitarian)" thread but I don't know how to do a link for you!
rosie.

Last edited:
I have been assured that the steeple in post #395 belongs to this church.
39. IMMANUEL, Birmingham (Broad St.), originated as a chapel licensed by the bishop andknown as Magdalen Chapel, which was opened in1839. (fn. 69) The new church of Immanuel, on the same site, was consecrated in 1865, and a parish was assigned to it out of St. Thomas's, Birmingham. The building was designed by E. Holmes; (fn. 70) it is in the Decorated style, the west front and small southwest spire being of stone and the rest of the church,which is not visible from the street, of brick. The living, a perpetual curacy until 1874 when it became a vicarage, is in the gift of the trustees of St.Martin's. (fn. 71) In 1939 the parish and in 1946 the benefice were united with those of St. Thomas, Birmingham, the united benefice being known as St. Thomas and Immanuel. (fn. 72)
From: 'Religious History: Churches built since 1800', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 7: The City of Birmingham (1964), pp. 379-396. URL: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22976 Date accessed: 26 March 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi DavidGrain
It's Church of the Messiah, over the canal. Astoness and Stitcher posted some lovely ones on the "Church of the Messiah Broad Street (Unitarian)" thread but I don't know how to do a link for you!
rosie.

It was Immanuel church I was refering too not Messiah. Sorry if the later photos caused confusion

cim.jpeg
I have been told by a few of my friends that they do not remember this view because of the church. This image is actually a postcard from around 1948. We all recognise the Church Of The Mesiah in the background but the one nearer to the camera is not so well know to some. It was The Christian Science Church and opposite that is/was The Granville pub, I say was because that became O'Neills. Just out of view in the bottom left and behind the fence was where Bush House was eventually built.

Hi stitcher,do you know that the building is still there?It is now Flares night club.Moss

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 48
Hello mossg, no I did not know that I can not remember the last time I was in Broad Street in daylight hours, and if I go along the street at night it is only because we have been into St. Pauls Square for a meal with our son.

xzsa.jpeg
I wonder how many trades and jobs have actually vanished from Birmingham.

I worked there once Stitcher, for the circus, Christmas 1963, I remember because the "007 film From Russia with Love" had come out that year, and they played the record continually for the two weeks I worked there.
paul

I could not remember the year but me dad took us there to see a circus.

Went to a couple of CAMRA beer festivals there in the 1970s. Great choice of beers but a very leaky roof! Viv.

The Masonic building in 1953.

Attachments

• img613.jpg
    img613.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 45
broad st from 5 ways..dated 1961..kunzles is the large white building on the right...auchinleck house stands on this site now..

img756.jpg

This is a copy of a letter I have sent to the Birmingham Mail today. Don't know if it will be published

Thank you for publishing in the Birmingham Mail (Friday 13th April 2012) the photograph on a 1914 postcard of Five Ways. This was a very interesting scene. However I have to comment that in the accompanying text there were more errors than I have ever seen in a newspaper article.

The sign "ALL CARS STOP HERE" is not a direction to the driver of the motor car otherwise where would drivers of vans and lorries know where to stop? It is in fact a tram stop. The clue is the tramcar at the top of Islington Row. The fact that it is on an island in the middle of the road just shows how little traffic there was in those days. Another indication of the lack of traffic is the man walking up the middle of Hagley Road.

The two school girls seen crossing the Hagley Road at 4.25pm certainly would not have been on their way home from King Edward's Five Ways as that was a boys school and in any event they are facing towards the school.

The question is asked is the spire that of St. Augustine's church? Unlikely as St Augustine's is nearly a mile away along Hagley Road. At a guess I would say that it was Immanuel Church. Broad Street.

Yes the Midland Red was set up to run motor buses but in 1907 these proved to be so unreliable that they changed over to horse buses until 1912. The motorbus in Broad Street and the tram lines along the Hagley Road definitely confirm the date of the post card as 1913-14.

David
I haven't seen the artic;e David, but remember that there will be no-one on the paper now who ever saw a tram in birmingham, and, as history is not taught now, the chances of any of them having learnt about trams is about the same as having read the Domesday book

broad st from 5 ways..dated 1961..kunzles is the large white building on the right...auchinleck house stands on this site now..

img756.jpg

broad5.jpg

From 'Postcard World' one of the many postcard heritage sites, with the caption of "Broad Street from Five Ways". Is there any remote chance of a match here?

img653.jpg
This is a sketch of the tollgate that stood from 1773 to 1841 at Five Ways. The toll collector earned 7 shillings a week initially but by 1774 that had gone up to 9 shillings a week. The text with this picture says "In 1789 he was ordered not to sell bread at/from the tollgate" and two hundred years later Tesco opened a supermarket there.

aa10.jpeg1920.
King Alfeds Place junction with Cambridge Street, The timber merchants moved to Ladywood railway sidings.
More recently a large part of the area became the home of the ICC.

a30.jpg
An Admiralty inspection on Broad Street, the Hall of Memory is just out of shot on the left and Easy Row forms the background.

Back