• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Broad Street

• Thread starter Thread starter rianne1974
  • Start date Start date
I don't know...but if you go on GE and draw a site line across the corners of Baskerville House diagonally towards Bridge st. you will find that it crosses that street at pretty much the place where it says school on the 1890 map. So I think it may be the spot and the building if it was still there at the time. Looking at the photo it looks like the camera is looking from corner to corner of Baskerville house. Is that Bridge St. running down between the two bombed buildings. Either way a super shot and a good question. The side wharf there is only a blip on the map.

Took a while but finally posting success. This picture from here before but don't know who posted it or who the credits go to. I have it as Cadbury Bros Bridge St. It's two storey's high and, if it is correct, don't know if it was around during WW2. Anyway I think the bombed building picture needed to go one building to the right. On the 1890 OS the next building seems to have more street footage and maybe it was only two storey's. The 1890 map shows two yard entrances onto Bridge St. which helps to locate. Curiously there appears to be a school bell on a roof behind. Have no idea of the dating. There was an iron factory behind which could explain the chimney. It's possible that carts were needed to transport materials the short distance from the canal maybe, or perhaps materials were also needed that did not use the boats. The scaling of the sketch is off I think but still a valuable insight.

Link..https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...tid=10098&ox=325&oy=1962&zm=1&czm=1&x=58&y=94

Attachments

• s Bros. Broad and Bridge.jpg
    s Bros. Broad and Bridge.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 38
cracking pic on post 274..the winfield brass co to the left of baskerville house now the site of the new central library build..

The old Cadbury factory in Bridge Street became a school in 1884. The school later moved to Oozells Street then to City Road and is now known as George Dixon International School formerly George Dixon Grammar School.

I would think that the bell in the picture would indicate a school in a structure there and maybe it existed at the same time that another part of the building was used by Cadbury Bros. The school may have expanded into the rest of the building when Cadbury moved. I think the picture would have to be contrived, it being not possible to stand back far enough across the street to get this perspective. 1884 would be at the same time as the OS map ref.

I wonder if it was the same company that later became car body builders for such companies as Rolls Royce and Daimler. which was located at Adderly Park .
Regards Reg

I also thought about about this but find that Mulliner Park Ward appears to be no connection with the H H Mulliner in Broad Street and Gas Street..

I took this comment from Wikipedia

Mulliner Park Ward was a 1961 merger of two Rolls-Royce subsidiaries: Park Ward of Willesden, London, a Rolls-Royce subsidiary since 1939 and H. J. Mulliner & Co. of Chiswick. H J Mulliner & Co had been taken over by Rolls-Royce in 1959

img150.jpgThis is the same view as Phil's picture in post 229 and while it does not answer Phils question I do have a bit of information with it.
It is from 1953 and it says that the small building to the left of the tree is The Doll's Hospitalwhere broken doll' are repaired.

This is the same view as Phil's picture in post 229 and while it does not answer Phils question I do have a bit of information with it.
It is from 1953 and it says that the small building to the left of the tree is The Doll's Hospitalwhere broken doll' are repaired.

Dolls Hospital next door to the Orthopaedic Hospita;. Interesting. The single decker bus is a pre=war Midland Red SOS but I am not sure which model.

img173.jpg
November 1954, the Richards Motors building dates from about 1879.

img178.jpg
The Crown, opened in 1781 when it was surrounded by fields. The chimneys behind the Crown belonged to a large brewery.

img177.jpg
Another one of The Crown and you can see the ICC. going up behind it. 1989

img189.jpg
The Crescent Theatre in Cumberland Street, another establishment I never visited, a large office block now fills thsi site.

I know that George Dixon did in fact share premises with Cadburys on or around Broad Street. I worked for a company in Selly Oak where George Dixon's son also called George owned and it was a fact within the company of the connnection with Cadburys

Hello carolina, would'nt it be interesting to really know all about these things. That is why I write any information I have with the picture. My problem is time, I am so busy doing other things and of course it will be time to be out in the vegetable garden and the greenhouse in a few weeks.

That's an excellent aerial view Stitcher. I think the Cadbury's factory's on there, by the chimneys. Looks like Bridge Street runs down by the chimneys. Perhaps one of our experts could tell us. I have a 1906 Baedeker extract which although very simplistic, nicely shows up the canals in relation to your aerial photo. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328906611.062139.jpg

That's a fantastic aerial Stitch. The building siding on the canal on Bridge St. with the white extension behind...which has school written on it on the 1890 OS...seems to have the same roof end as the sketch showing the other end of the buiding. It also seems to be two storey. So I would think it has a good chance of being the same place. The coal wharfes were still existing then and if you zoom in behind the factory in question you can pick out a chimney stack. It might be wishfull thinking but a few pixles on the school roof might be a bell. Anyway there are too many coincidences for it not to be right. I will try to add some pictures to this post later.
So...the sketch...the bell...the aerial showing the other end of the roof...annacdotal evidence of the school coinciding with the chocolate factory. I will leave certainty to others but I think we have it cracked. I included the sketch again for comparison.

OK. Yellow dot....Cadbury's factory building
Red dot........School marked on 1890 OS
Green dot.....Chimney on Sketch
Orange dot...Bridge St. bridge
Blue dot.......Canal wharfe

Attachments

• Hall of memory aerial 3.JPG
    Hall of memory aerial 3.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 54
  • s Bros. Broad and Bridge.jpg
    s Bros. Broad and Bridge.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 24
I would agree with Rupert, though i am not sur eif it is the saem actual building as Cadbury's or had been rebuilt. Of the chimneys viv noticed, I think the wider one (an dpossibly othe other, is on the site of the Pierce & Cutler glassworks

img234.jpg img232.jpg img233.jpg
There were many small and large industrial premises ranging from single rooms almost, up to massive establisments making all strange and wierd products or parts for other companies products. When I started my lorry driving career I found this out although many of them had either ceased trading or had modernised and become enormous like Austin and Lucas.

img248.jpg
Reference was made in an earlier post about 'The Doll's Hospital'.
Here it is on Broad Streein 1955. It was closed for the last time soon after this photo was taken.

View attachment 73688 View attachment 73689 View attachment 73690
There were many small and large industrial premises ranging from single rooms almost, up to massive establisments making all strange and wierd products or parts for other companies products. When I started my lorry driving career I found this out although many of them had either ceased trading or had modernised and become enormous like Austin and Lucas.

Hi Stitcher. These remind me of a shop I used to go into, not far along Broad Street from the Register Office. It was an ironmongers, not like the ones today which sell all sorts of products. It sold only crafted, decorative metal products like door handles doorplates, hinges that sort of thing. I used to go and wonder around there in my lunch hour. I think it had a foundry attached to it. It was a modernised shop and had top quality products in there. I've often wondered if it's still there. I hope it is. Viv.

Hello Vivienne, if I find anything that relates to what you say as I go through my stuff, be assured I will post it on here.
stitcher

Many thanks Stitcher. Be great if it's still there as it must be very old, and possibly connected to an old foundry. Viv.

I think the place may have been Parker Winder & Achurch?? I haven't been by in the last couple of months so I'm not sure who's in the building I'm thinking of.
rosie.

Back