• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bridge Street West

Hi Lynda,
This is the only picture of The Vulcan that i have ever seen.
It was on the South East corner of the New John St West,Hospital St junction.
Moss.

Hi

2 Clifford St. & 1 Wells Street

Do you want any more?
ray
Hi Ray. That Zephry/Zodiac estate car belonged to a friend of mine, by the name of Arthur, I can't recall his second name, he had his own business in Villa Street. He was a machanic there working the the yard where there were a lot of Ice cream Vans, I used to work next door at B,W,Motors. Burt Walters. I worked there for a few years before moving over the road to, Edwards Bros, AKA Windscreen Services. I've got a picture of that very Garage, Circa 1960s I think. Off the very!! helpfull Astoness, AKA Wales. Thanks Lyn. I shall be eternally gratefull for that.

I would dearly!! love a picture of the House that was situated at the back of that Garage, 198 Villa street. GIVE MY RIGHT ARM FOR IT!!

Cookie.

wicked pic moss...would the vulcan have been on the opposite corner to where box carton is now...same side

hi ya reg..i was only thinking about you the other week...dont know if you have spotted it yet but after a long long search i finally have me pic of the vine inn villa street...

lyn

mmm Thanks Mike Daniel is listed on the 1911 Census as being there,
I am wondering whether he had left my Gt gt Grandmother then at that time. as there is something I have found that crops up in 1908

wicked pic moss...would the vulcan have been on the opposite corner to where box carton is now...same side

hi ya reg..i was only thinking about you the other week...dont know if you have spotted it yet but after a long long search i finally have me pic of the vine inn villa street...

lyn
Hello Lyn. Nice to hear from you again, sorry I didn't reply earlier but I was just off to work when I saw the reply to my post. Sorry I lost contact with you but our old Computer went belly up!! had it put back on factory settings lost all my pictures off you, except one, I printed the Villa St, Garage off and put it in my F/T folder. and then our Computer finally turned it's toes up.

Trouble is, with me not being very good on Computers I didn't do any backing up to save anything. I lost the lot!! got another one now though, back on line, and back searching for that picture of our old house in Villa Street behind the Garage. I'm not very good on this site either being a newby, still trying to find my way round. I haven't seen that picture of the vine yet Lyn. Mainly because I don't know where to look. Reg.

hi jean. so glad you are enjoying what pics of have. most of what i have are relevant to me as i grew up in those parts. i have about 30 of lennox st but they only about an inch and half square in size. i am going to try and put them on site. god at this rate i will get banned for taking up so much space on the site. take it you have seen the pic of the duke. this is the only one i have of the lord bryon. wales.
I spotted this one though Lyn. The Lord Byron! I might have told you about it when I was working in Villa St, at Windscreen Services. This was our Local we used to call it the Windscreen Fitters Arms. Some of the readers might have seen a fleet of blue Vans outside there, back in the 70s. I'm going to have to learn how to back up files Lyn I don't want to lose these pictures again. Reg.

hi reg...o dear..sorry about your computer..i had the same problem a few weeks back..me lap top had been playing up for a couple of weeks but luckily i had the thought to download the 100s of pics i have onto discs..two days later it crashed but at least i didnt lose anything....it will take time to find your way round the forum(i still get lost so take your time) just a little tip..use the search engine at the top right of the page..type in say lozells pictures and then scroll down till you find the thread....one of our members ray griffiths recently posted lots of aston and lozells area....do you still have the same email address as i think i still have it .if so i will mail you the new villa st and vine inn pics...

lyn

Hi there,
I have noticed that you ae researching the name Garner, so am I. My Grandmothers maiden name was Violet Garner, born in Aston, in 1907

Lynda

My aunt June Storer( nee Griffiths) lived at 1/277 Bridge St West in the early sixties and I used to play with Mrs Smith's granddaughter Linda. regards Margaret

The shop on the opposite corner of Gt Russell St & Bridge St West was run by Mrs Savoury(spelling)
She kept a parrot on the counter and when anyone went into the shop,the parrot would shout" SHOP."
Moss.

View attachment 68904With reference to the picture on post #2 dated 20/11/1956 showing the collapsed wall in BSW. I was born, in 1944, at 3 back of 128 Bridge Street West, which is the second house up the path behind the 2 people in the photo. The tall houses with the missing walls were tunnel back houses accessed from Wheeler Street and did not have the small 2 storey houses behind them like those further up Wheeler Street - it was just open ground between the brew house and the two shared outside toilets - just enough space and ideal for practising playing football. Now I'm not saying the missing wall is anything to do with me but I spent most evenings in the early 1950's kicking a football against it!!
Location plans:

View attachment 68905 View attachment 68906 View attachment 68903

What an amazing photo Rob it really brings the area to life so to speak the maps are a great help thank you for posting them.

The added bit for me is the map of Well St my gt granny's McKnight family lived there for over 40 years from 1837. A nice Brummy name eh...lol I found they came originally from Dumfries.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are one of the best with these wonderful pictures you put up, Astoness. Love them! Thanks very much
By the way, look at how things changed over time with the corner shop. Fascinating
Kevin

Last edited:
hi kev...dont know if you know that our forum was hacked into and we have lost all the images that were posted and i am just trying to get a few of mine back onto the threads.....

lyn

Lyn, NO! I did not know. That make me so angry. I am so sorry; all the work you and the others have done...I'll go and read what's been said on the forum.

So sorry, Lyn
Kevin

fraid its true kev...what we are trying to do now is to slowly repost our pics...

lyn

Trying to Repost of #166 with pictures attached:
With reference to the picture on post #2 dated 20/11/1956 showing the collapsed wall in BSW. I was born, in 1944, at 3 back of 128 Bridge Street West, which is the second house up the path behind the 2 people in the photo. These were small 2 storey houses. The tall houses with the missing walls were 4 storey tunnel back houses accessed from yards in Wheeler Street with attics and basements. The missing wall backed onto rough ground between the brew house and the two shared outside toilets - an ideal for practising playing football.
Now I'm not saying the missing wall is anything to do with me but I spent most evenings in the early 1950's kicking a football against it!!

Bridge_Street_West_back_of_128_Newtown_-_20-11-1956.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic photo's lyn, I got a clip round the ear for climbing that lampost. not realy it was not me, honest ha ha.

regards stars

Back