• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brewmaster House off Broad St

Ell's view shows activity along the canal is far cry from that of the 1800s. It's good to see that the area has been given a new lease of life. The info in Ell's clip mentions St. Peter's Place being roughly where the towpath is alongside the Brewmaster's House. It was also once known as St. Peter's Row. Here's a map from 1839.

https://www.mapseeker.co.uk/images/products/954_a3b2.jpg

Viv

you can indeed ell...we had a canal cruise forum meet up last year...:)

lyn

Ell I'd think that's an interesting 'cruise' with a good close-up view from the canal side of the buildings. Hi Lyn. I expect people took photos on the trip, but do you know if any were taken of the canal side/buildings? If so are they on the forum somewhere? Viv

The only river cruises I've been on (not in Birmingham) include the River Seine in Paris, France and the River Thames between Runnymede, Surrey and Windsor, Berkshire.

I have also been in Venice, Italy on a Lagoon Cruise and on a Gondola.

I have no need to go on the Birmingham version. Doesn't look like you can stand up and open a window on that narrowboat.

Ell I'd think that's an interesting 'cruise' with a good close-up view from the canal side of the buildings. Hi Lyn. I expect people took photos on the trip, but do you know if any were taken of the canal side/buildings? If so are they on the forum somewhere? Viv

hi viv click on events and meets ups sub forum which you will find under the general discussion section then scroll down until you come to the canal cruise thread..should be a few piccies on there..

lyn

Yes I'm sure it would be very difficult to compete with the beauty of those :D ! But from the point of view of industrial history etc B'ham canals must surely hit the mark.:thumbsup: And there're enough of them too! Viv.

Yes I'm sure it would be very difficult to compete with the beauty of those :D ! But from the point of view of industrial history etc B'ham canals must surely hit the mark.:thumbsup: And there're enough of them too! Viv.

hi viv hope you find the pics of the canal cruise we went on..
posted where to find them on post 69...we all had a great time. i think there was about 50 of us and there was also a bar onboard..:)

Yes thanks Lyn found the thread. How busy is that stretch of canal! Looked like a good trip. These two photos are interesting:

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=55856&d=1282497285

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=55983&d=1282562869

Anyone know if this was originally a malt house or was the pub recently built and made to look older than it is? And does anyone know if it's on, what was, the B'ham Brewery land? It's quite close to the Brewmaster's House, but there's a new building between it and the House. But surely it has a connection with the House. Viv.

Anyone know if this was originally a malt house or was the pub recently built and made to look older than it is? And does anyone know if it's on, what was, the B'ham Brewery land? It's quite close to the Brewmaster's House, but there's a new building between it and the House. But surely it has a connection with the House. Viv.

It says this in Walks Through History Birmingham by John Wilks

The Malthouse is a new pub, but its name reflects the fact that a brewery stoof near this spot. The pub itself is built into the shell of the Kingston Building, built in 1803 as a nail warehouse. If you look back as you cross the small footbridge you can see the old warehouse frontage, with its high sashed windows. The remains of loading bays can also be seen: many warehouses were built facing directly on to the canals, with loading bays giving direct access to the barges

The Malt House by ell brown, on Flickr

That's great Ell, thanks. Pity it's not connected directly with the old brewery. Thought it probably was a bit too far away to be on the brewery land as there's a big building in between this and the Brewmaster's house. But a nice bit of history about that building. Good photos too thanks. Viv.

I do know that President Clinton had a drink here in 1998 during the G8 summit.

No problem re the photos.

While it was raining, I got two new photos of those Sherborne Wharf narrowboats (not too far from the Brewmaster's Bridge and House).

From the Brewmaster's Bridge

Sherborne Wharf Birmingham - narrowboats - Brindley Place by ell brown, on Flickr

Brewmaster's House is to the right of here

Sherborne Wharf Birmingham - narrowboats - Brindley Place by ell brown, on Flickr

Some older photos of mine of those Sherborne Wharf narrowboats

Waterbus (going under the Brewmaster's Bridge) - Brindley Place by ell brown, on Flickr

Video clip version of the Waterbus - Brindley Place

Sherborne Wharf Heritage Narrowboats - Brindley Place by ell brown, on Flickr

Tin Tin Cantonese Restaurant - The Water's Edge - Brindley Place - Sherborne Wharf Heritage Narrowboat by ell brown, on Flickr

One from Gas Street Basin near The Mailbox / The Cube

Gas Street Basin at winter - narrowboat - Sherborne Wharf Birmingham - Euphrates Packet by ell brown, on Flickr

Here is a picture of the old brewery on Broad St with the Brasshouse pub on the left and the Crown on the right.

The canal runs under the road, between the two "pubs".

Back