• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brewmaster House off Broad St

I think you are right Lyn, it's the Georgian house on the canal, just at the back of Symphony Hall (unless that is something else!).

shortie

Thank you very much, Colin & Shortie for identifying the location. Its always awkward when the road does not reach a particular property but there is no substitute for local knowledge.
Lyn do you know the area well enough to find the Brewmaster House on foot? That part of the city centre is new to me. I think my parents kept us away from canals when my sister was young!

That's a beautifully restored house. Does anyone know if there's anything left of the brewery and malthouse? Viv.

hi shirl..i have a very good idea where its located but if anyone could give directions from broad st that would be great...col is it anywhere near where we got on at the canal trip last year..

lyn

I would also be interested in knowing how to reach it on foot. I have only seen it from the canalside when going to lunch with my former boss. I am a very great fan of Georgian stuff, buildings especially, so that's why this one caught my eye.

Shortie

Thank you very much, Colin & Shortie for identifying the location. Its always awkward when the road does not reach a particular property but there is no substitute for local knowledge.
Lyn do you know the area well enough to find the Brewmaster House on foot? That part of the city centre is new to me. I think my parents kept us away from canals when my sister was young!

The public are allowed to walk through the ICC at the far side near the Cut turn right, hope that helps

Wasn't that the brewery for the Old Crown? I think they used to brew there own ale there (should be nicely matured now).

hi shirl..i have a very good idea where its located but if anyone could give directions from broad st that would be great...col is it anywhere near where we got on at the canal trip last year..

lyn

Don't know if the map at the start if this doc is any help Lyn. Might be. Or might not. Either way it's a nice map. Suits my map reading level ..... very basic ! It marks the 'site of the brewery' so that must have been demolished. But it also marks the malthouse, so maybe that's still there. Viv

https://www.wow4water.net/media/images/20078109503.pdf

A little bit of background info. The Brew Master's House was built high above the level of the canal because the canal lies in a deep cutting. It was originally intended that the canal would be built in a tunnel. The basin, built c.1815, was to serve the Birmingham Brewery with barley for malting being brought by canal to the malt house. Viv.

It's here next to the ICC, opposite Brindley Place - Brewmasters House

Either go through the ICC, exit to the canal, then turn right. Or from Broad Street go down the steps and head straight forward.

Brewmaster's House from the Brewmaster's Bridge by ell brown, on Flickr

Brewmaster's House by ell brown, on Flickr

Brewmaster's House - plaque by ell brown, on Flickr

Steps in Brindley Place - Brewmaster's House by ell brown, on Flickr

Interestingly the green bridge is called the Brewmasters Bridge

Brindley Place - Brewmaster's House by ell brown, on Flickr

No I wasn't there today. That was mostly in Feb 2010 (for my detailed close up shots) and Apr 2009 (my original shots when I first started taking pics of Birmingham).

These are excellent shots Ellbrown and Dave. Nicely shows us all the connection of the house and the canal. And it's so good to see how well the house has been looked after. This looks like a vibrant and thriving area. Ahhhh ....... that's so refreshing.

Dave, any idea what the little white door was for in your photo #2? Viv.

These are excellent shots Ellbrown and Dave. Nicely shows us all the connection of the house and the canal. And it's so good to see how well the house has been looked after. This looks like a vibrant and thriving area. Ahhhh ....... that's so refreshing.

Dave, any idea what the little white door was for in your photo #2? Viv.

Only a guess, Coal delivery

Thanks Viv.

From Pevsner

The Brewmaster's House of 1816, repaired in 1983 - 84 by Remo Granelli for the Birmingham Conservation Trust. Built as the owner's house and office of a small brewery. Almost symmetrical three-bay facade with hipped roof. Typical Birmingham lintels on consoles. Doric porch with open pediment. At the rear a former cart shed with cast-iron columns and slate roof with beautiful diminishing courses. Glazed in and extended by the City Architect, 1989.

From Birmingham Then & Now

At the end of St Peter's Place, a grand Georgian building. This building survives to this day and is known as The Brewmaster's House. Found just behind the ICC, it helps provide a real link with the past history of the area. A plaque located by the doorway provides some information on the history of the house.

By the 1980s, when developments in this area started, the council and the planners had realised that keeping some old buildings could actually enhance an area. Other notable survivors are Oozells Street School (now the Ikon Gallery), The Brasshouse and the Crown Inn.

Dave. Hoped it was something more exciting than a common old cole 'ole :( ! But don't know if the rear additions are Victorian or later, perhaps ........ Thanks also Ell for the info. Interesting your quote from Pevsner says "at the rear former cart shed" Wonder which part of the rear photos which Dave posted might be the cart sheds? Makes me wonder if they had a special cart shed whether it was just for domestic use or commercial? Viv.

Thank you, Ell. This is the first time that I have seen pictures of the Brewmasters House in the round. Oddly, I cannot find the listing. Does anybody else have the link to the Brewmasters House listing?

BordeslerExile, no I can't find the listing either. I've had a thorough search, but nothing's turned up. Agree it's good to see the 360 degree view. Think Dave's photo #4 in post 21 must be the former cart shed, so it would be to the left of Dave's photo #2. Ell's Pevsner quote says it's been glazed. So that must be it. If so, it looks like it was for domestic use, so no Shire horses, heavy carts, barrels etc. I expect this activity was confined to the Brewery premises. Viv.

Thank you for looking for the listing, Viv. There are strange errors & ommissions on the British Listed Buildings site, so perhaps this is another. Its such a shame. I for one would like to know more.
Dave thank you for the photo of the Brewmaster's House. That really ads to the angles by Ell and other conributors
What a splendid job Birmingham Conservation Trust did getting involved with the renovation. They do have some spectacular successes.

Back