• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley Street

MILLY

Brummie babby
hi, does anyone know when the houses in bordesley street were built? the ones that are at the junction of park st. in 1891c one of my relatives was living at 2 bordesly street in a licensed lodging house.

I don't Know the date they were actually built but I lived in a similar type house and I know that was pre 1891,so I would guess they are. Michael.

i don't know the date they were actually built but i lived in a similar type house and i know that was pre 1891,so i would guess they are. Michael.

thanks michael for reply. Its hard to imagine that 17 lodgers and 7 family lived in that tiny house.

Thanks for your reply MILLY, perhaps if you posted details of the census of 1891, you may get a response from those members who are more expert in this field. all the best Michael.

...i know we have the only surviving back to backs in hurst st city centre but surely these must be some of the only lived in houses in the city centre...the end 3 are 4 storys and quite impressive...i would love to think that as with the back to backs these houses would remain as a reminder of days gone by but i guess only time will tell...

lyn

Attachments

• CITY CENT..DIGBETH..PERRY BARR 045.JPG
    CITY CENT..DIGBETH..PERRY BARR 045.JPG
    695.5 KB · Views: 68
  • CITY CENT..DIGBETH..PERRY BARR 047.JPG
    CITY CENT..DIGBETH..PERRY BARR 047.JPG
    726.2 KB · Views: 60
  • CITY CENT..DIGBETH..PERRY BARR 048.jpg
    CITY CENT..DIGBETH..PERRY BARR 048.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 55
  • CITY CENT..DIGBETH..PERRY BARR 049.jpg
    CITY CENT..DIGBETH..PERRY BARR 049.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 53
  • CITY CENT..DIGBETH..PERRY BARR 050.jpg
    CITY CENT..DIGBETH..PERRY BARR 050.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I was looking at these a few weeks back, they are an utter delight; some still have the original sliding sash windows.

Hi all My GGG grandparents were married from Bordesley St in 1876 and most of their eight children were born at 8 House 11 Court but I think it would have been at the " rough end" of the street as the ones in the pictures look to be quite posh and he was just a Boatman
Regards Acklam19

hi acklam if mike our map expert sees this post he maybe able to post you a map pinpointing where house 8 court 11 was in relationship to the houses that are still standing which if i remember correctly were numbers 1 to 9

lyn

Map below shows no 10, which is the one of the houses on the corner , in red , Court 11 in blue and what I think is probably no 8 Court 11 in green, though it could be the one next door, or the numbering could possibly go the other way round.

map_c_1889_showing_nos_1-10___court_11.jpg

Hi Astoness & Mike.Thank you both for your kind help, the map is brilliant as it shows the court dead opposite were he would have gone every day to his work at Bordesley Street Wharf where as I said he was a Boatman on the canals.
I will add it to my family tree files if thats OK.
Regards Acklam19

happy to help acklam..your rellie certainly did not have far to walk to work...thanks for the map mike i did not realise just how many houses there were in bordesley st...

brilliant

lyn

i have also been watching the old houses etc that is still round the corner from park st in bordesley st

lyn

I have received a query from a member and post it here:

Hello

I'm looking for some help. My Great Grandfather was born in 1887 at somewhere called 4 Court, 2 Bordesley Street. Am I right that this was a back to back dwelling? What would living conditions have been like then? His father was from Ireland. Was there a sizeable Irish community in this area at the time?

Thanks

As a beginning I will say that Bordesley street then was a mixed area of courts of houses together with many industrial premises, with, somewhat to the south of it, some rather smelly unpleasant industries. Below are two maps from the 1880s showing the area and a closeup of the immediate area, with court 4 in red.

map 1880s showing position of court 4 Bordesley St.jpg1880s. close up of court 4 Bordeslay st.jpg

I'm interested in finding the exact location of a warehouse that was in Bordesley Street in 1817 (see article below) that belonged to a Samuel Lefevre. The building might have still been there in 1880.

@mikejee, where did you source the map for your earlier response? And do you know if there are older maps?

Aris's Birmingham Gazette - Monday 05 May 1817, p3

https://britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000196/18170505/028/0003

HOUSEBREAKERS.-It gives us pleasure to say that a gang of five notorious housebreakers were, by the spirited conduct of two of our assistant police officers, apprehended about two o’clock yesterday morning at a warehouse in Bordesley-street, belonging to Mr. Lefevre, into which they had forcibly entered, and were preparing to carry off some valuable property.

Last edited:
The map earlier was from the National Library of Scotland website, (https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=...765&layers=70&b=1&z=0&point=52.48213,-1.89866). Bordesley st is presumably what is now bordesley high st, and is shown on the c1824 Pigott smith map below as " High Street". This is available to purchase, but do not think it is on the net.

map c1824 showing Bordesley high st.jpg

Cannot help with the position of the warehouse, but would add that Wrightson's directory of 1818 states that Samuel Lefevre had a warehouse in Bromsgrove st (no indication of where)

Back