• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Sort of cross posted on the Colmore Row, Victoria Sq, Thread. I remember a Club above Galloways Corner but I can't remember the name.

Lord Mayor of Birmingham officially opening the street Scene snooker Club and indoor market,seen here with it's manager Mike. 1990 aprox.1.jpg

Street Scene Snooker Club.Birmingham Lord Mayor shaking hands with one of the Street Scene management team.1990 aprox.2.jpg

The Street Scene night Club. This shot was scanned for this forum, taken from A4 standard printing paper.
What ever made me print on this I will never know. ''But'' I knew I had negatives and prints around somewhere.
Being as I cannot find the original negs or prints at the mo, ''it must have been a good idea at the time''.
I used a mega wide angle lens here to capture as much as possible in the form of a 'fish eye' lens.4.jpg1990 aprox.

And finally, the club again. Different angle.5.jpg 1990 aprox.
I did post a very simular one to this shot...a little more of the dance area here.

Here is a shot of the Birmingham Lord Mayor chatting to market traders underneath the club.
The market didn't last too long I'm afraid.4.jpg 1990 aprox.

I'm fairly sure the area where the black arrow lies is the original entrance into the market area. Sorry to post this again.street scene.jpgThe club opened first, and then the market.

I was never one to visit night clubs, but saying that, I do have memories of two that my wife and I visited, but I cannot recall the name of either.
One was in town when Bill Haley and his Comets played for three Saturday out of five. One in Brum, then one away and back again.
We managed to get to see Bill on all three Saturdays he was there.
Thre of the best nights out ever. Managed to get his drummers autograph.
The other was a night club on the Coventry Road where the resident group were called "BANDY LEGS" who played a lot of MUD's music, and if the truth be know were better than "MUD".

Happy days.

Hi AustinK3: Here's a link to the band "Bandy Legs". If you Google their name you can see a lot more about the band that became ""Quartz and the link of Geoff Nicholls, a member of Bandy Legs who went on to play keyboard for Ozzie Osbourne for a long time. https://www.rockdetector.com/artist/united+kingdom/west+midlands/birmingham/bandy+legs
I saw Bill Haley and his Band in Toronto in 1965. My Mother bought the first LP in our house in Brum in the l950's "Rock Around the Clock" with Bill Haley. Just great. My Father thought she was crazy! Here's recording made for a film at the Odeon, New Street, Birmingham in 1979. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfEUF2525FM

AustinK2, I think the club on the Coventry Road you mention was possibly the Cavendish?
It was in a shopping centre area on the other side of the road to the Swan.

Don't forget the Cresta, Solihull and the Rum Runner, Broad Street. I don't suppose that was strictly a night club though was it. Still, some good times!!

The Mayfair Suite - 1970's till it closed. #what do you wanna make those eyes at me for...
What an atmosphere. Pity I could only drink coke at the time. The decor was great. Loved it...

xx.jpeg
I have no idea where I obtained this, I certainly was not a member and I neve entered the place. Does anyone know if it is genuine? It measures about 5" X 3".

Sticher I am sure its NOT the Le Metro under the railway lines it must have been something to do with British Layland, don't tell me you were on the door there too? LOL

Hello Bob, I only worked for Mothers Club and then The Tower Ballroom but Mothers used to send myself and another man to wherever there was a need for strict door control. We would work on a door for as long as it took to rid the venue of hoodlums, usually a few weeks then we would be put somewhere else to do the same again.

To be honest I do not know if there was a nightclub connected to this card because I have just been informed that the letters 'QSL' were relevant in C.B.Radio chatter.

Hi Stitcher, hope you are well. The metro city qsl club i think you will find it was probably a CB club.
The reason i say this is because QSL is a card you sent to someone in another country when you made contact
on your CB. You would note what signal they hit you on and what strength the voice was. For example S/4-5 R 4.
When the skip was up you would go on your CB and put a call out...CQ..CQ CQ DX This is the station (Stars123)
calling CQ DX, QRT and standing by. You then wait for someone to call you back. The unit Number is your personal number like (Stars123.) So your club would receive
lots of cards for your member from all over the world and they would look for your unit no. QSL cards confirm either a two-way radiocommunication between
two amateur radio stations or a one-way reception of a signal from an AM radio, FM radio,

Regards Stars

Hello Bob, I only worked for Mothers Club and then The Tower Ballroom but Mothers used to send myself and another man to wherever there was a need for strict door control. We would work on a door for as long as it took to rid the venue of hoodlums, usually a few weeks then we would be put somewhere else to do the same again.

To be honest I do not know if there was a nightclub connected to this card because I have just been informed that the letters 'QSL' were relevant in C.B.Radio chatter.
The Tower, now you're talking. Sandwell coaches used to do the inner and outer circle bus routes at the weekends, they were taken over by Stockland Coaches in the sixties and we took over their old services, the fare was 2/6d no matter where you wanted to go but we often used to go that little bit further for special passengers for no extra charge :)

View attachment 80655Agree with other posters, Stitcher, that a QSL card is sent out by radio amateurs when they make a contact - my husband was a keen radio ham and we have a box of them cluttering up the place! Guess it might have been a radio club attached to British Leyland perhaps? Have posted my Metro club card (from 1970 - eek) which measures two inches by two and three quarters and looks like a ticket. It has my name and address on the back. Went to the Metro quite a bit in the old days!

Back