• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

• Thread starter Thread starter mazbeth
  • Start date Start date
Yes Stitcher,just serving their apprenticeship.as we all did.No better way to learn the trade than playing live.There were so many places to play back then,baptisms of fire. You had to work to get them on your side,but when you did,nothing like it.

Great photo's Viv just as I remember Mothers. A lovely poster of Julie Driscoll in the background of the second photo.

Hi Wendy. I've not seen any photos of Mothers interior before. The first photo has chairs in it - I don't remember chairs. Only remember sitting on the floor, as per the 3rd photo. I remember there being enormous posters on the walls too and the lethal rough cider they sold in the bar!! Viv.

A followup on the Sunday Mercury article about Mother's by Terry Guest of Pride of Erdington and Erdington Business Group. A great three or so minute video about Mother's and some other places in Erdington's past history. On this site are also video's from the other High Streets or main centres that are bidding for a share of the Renovation funds one million pounds in total to be split up I believe. Hope that Erdington can be rewarded with some money from these funds. Good luck to all involved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94i...DvjVQa1PpcFP232GRp_XPAn0_4VEFXlOJrBbADDg1UuU=

Great links jennyann. My mom and dad were married in St Barnabas, and I was christened there. An Erdingtonian through and through. Remember queuing up at Mothers for a group who didn't turn up. Can't remember, might have been The Kinks.

Yes, 1968 would be about right to my recollection - definitely before the 70's.

Thanks for the link to the photos Vivienne, there can't be that many of the inside of Mothers as people rarely took a camera to places in the 60's (probably a good job - I would hate to see one of myself!!) I had a look at the larger versions on the website - couldn't see anyone I knew.

Hi Wendy. I've not seen any photos of Mothers interior before. The first photo has chairs in it - I don't remember chairs. Only remember sitting on the floor, as per the 3rd photo. I remember there being enormous posters on the walls too and the lethal rough cider they sold in the bar!! Viv.
Yes the cider was rough, lethal and always warm !

Great links jennyann. My mom and dad were married in St Barnabas, and I was christened there. An Erdingtonian through and through. Remember queuing up at Mothers for a group who didn't turn up. Can't remember, might have been The Kinks.

Seem to remember Muddy Waters also being booked to play at Mothers but didn't make it due to ill health. Viv.

Don't know if the Birmingham music archive link has ever been posted on the Forum but it might be of interest. Readers can post memories on the site. Some venues have no comments but those such as Mothers, Barbarellas, Opposite Lock, Town Hall etc have quite a lot of info. Viv.

https://birminghammusicarchive.com/venues/

Does anyone remember the Street Scene when it opened in Bordesley Green, it was opposite the Old Vic.
It served as a snooker club and night club.
Unfortunately it did not get the go ahead to stay open later than 2pm.
I remember the then Birmingham lord mayor being shown around shortly after its opening, he condemned its upper floors due to poor workmanship..the poor bloke nearly fell through the floor.
It had a little market area as well on the ground floor.
Shortly after,street scene.jpg it just sort of died a death.
I took some shots of the club downstairs..I must say for a little side street club it had potential...but like others before it...it just faded away.
This shot isn't as old as some, its a picture taken of a band just before they performed live there one Saturday evening around 1992 there abouts

This one I took around 1970-1980 at the Digbeth Civic Hall..I'm chocking here because I can't remember the name of the band.
It was great in those days to see live music with so many different venues in and around town.2012-04-27_20.jpg

My cousin goes regularly "jamming" at a club in Handsworth with some "old" Brummy bands. I will ask him the name.

Here is the inside of the Street Scene club.
This was down stairs, above it was the snooker floor.
The music was always good and it looked good.
I loved the way the manager thought this out.the theme for its design had the same name,1.JPG'Street Scene'.

And finally5.JPG

Someone mentioned this club within a sister forum.
I remember when it first opened...it looked great..unfortunately the lads as they were called...(the builders) used the club after working on it. Trouble was, there was awful bad language, they were dirty(never bothered changing their clothes) and most times they had to much to drink. I seen people from town using it for the first time (office workers, club owners and night goers from other patches)
So yes it had potential, I stopped going there in no time, it was unpleasant to see couples come in and have to endure that sort of atmosphere.
The club was its own worse enemy.

Shebeens/Blues Houses
Not really night clubs but a good time was had by all in these establishments. I used to use a couple in Balshall Heath and Handsworth, it seemed that the main customers were irish or west indian perhaps they were a relic from the no blacks irish or dog era. The music was good and loud the drink was not expensive and if the drink was expensive other things could be obtained. The crack was always good and if there was any trouble it was quickly dealt with .

has anyone got anymore pictures of street scenes please the place was designed by my family would be great to see more pictures thanks

I did Go into the Rum on the odd occasion i/e Pat Roaches birthday or something along those lines. I knew the doormen and the Fewtrells and the Rum was not a bad place to be, it was quite well run and there was never much trouble inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back