• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham in 1960s

The clip below is in other threads on the forum, but in case some haven't seen it I suppose it can sit in this Sixties thread. I often look at it and go back to the good old Sixties ... the music is nice also...
[video=youtube;IFGLNvBMmBo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFGLNvBMmBo[/video]

That's a great video from an earlier, saner, and certainly a more contented time for many of us in the days before computers took over our lives. Not a shaved head or a hoodie to be seen, and large eggs at 4/6 (22.5p) a dozen! Interesting to be reminded that driving standards 48 years ago were no better than they are now.

G

Great video, I wonder how many of those young people are still around today, and how many have actually seen themselves on the film. I love this sort of memory, keep them coming.

Nostalgia at it's best. Felt like popping into Fred Burn and getting measured for a suit!! 14" bottoms, and red silk lining a must.
jimbo

To carry on with this thread, (So glad I got it started). What ever happened to "What the girls drank" in the 60's Babysham, Pony (The drink with the kick) Gin and Orange ( Urgh how could you drink that girls, it was horrible) Port and Lemon, occasionally you might be persuaded to have half a cider. Perhaps we could rejuvenate some of these drinks at the Christmas get together in December, in the Jewelry Quarter. Not that I would encourage you to drink that is, but it might be fun trying. Doubt whether you can get half of them now.Maybe if we asked the land-lord he might try the Babycham and the Pony, to see if they are available. worth a try, don't you think.

Thought I looked great in my Dave Clark Five shirt in 68, thank heavens I've got no photos. Remember spinning all the way round during the winter of 63 outside the town hall, not another car in site thank goodness, how times have changed.

To carry on with this thread, (So glad I got it started). What ever happened to "What the girls drank" in the 60's Babysham, Pony (The drink with the kick) Gin and Orange ( Urgh how could you drink that girls, it was horrible) Port and Lemon, occasionally you might be persuaded to have half a cider. Perhaps we could rejuvenate some of these drinks at the Christmas get together in December, in the Jewelry Quarter. Not that I would encourage you to drink that is, but it might be fun trying. Doubt whether you can get half of them now.Maybe if we asked the land-lord he might try the Babycham and the Pony, to see if they are available. worth a try, don't you think.

Though I hate to admit it, my favourite drinks when I was 18 (ish) were rum-and-black, and brown and mild. Last Christmas someone gave me a bottle of rum and I nearly threw up just smelling it. Brown ale, on the other hand, is God's gift, especially Newcastle Brown Ale. I wouldn't have washed the dog in Babysham. I also liked bottled Tuborg lager, but the modern Tuborg is nothing like I remember it way back then.

Cheers!

G

Babycham is still available. If you'd 'love a Babycham' Sainsbury's have a Christmas gift pack containing one small bottle of Babycham and a Babycham glass. The glass isn't as big as the original though. Tescos also sell the stuff. £3.99 for 4 bottles. Viv.

Cherry "B" was quite nice!! not as strong as proper cherry brandy, a special treat though.
rosie.

Ooh Carolina!! I used to make one last all night , with lemonade in between!! One time I asked for Britvic Orange and they put gin in it, I didn't like it but it was Nan's favourite at Christmas.
My friend used to have Barley Wine, I think was another 60's "thing".
rosie.

Was 13 when the 60's ended. I remember drinking Chandy it had a lion on the bottle, and Cresta, it's frothy man, Anytime anyplace anywhere, no not me, that was Martini. Don't overcrowd your car adverts and Reginald Molehusband who couldn't park.
I had a flowery shirt a nylon flowery one, bell bottoms. But they got bigger in the 70's. In Dublin they were called Elephant flares, my mate came back with some, and he pulled the birds, in France they were called pates d'elephants.
Crombies. Stack heels. Hotpants. Gladiators. Enjoyed the march of te mods right foot right foot left foot left foot at weddings. DIscos hadn;t really come in not for me any way. Nan wouldn't let me watch dis cother que as she called it.
Five o clock de dad dad da With Daisy the cow. Remember seeing Millie on it. My boy lollipop.
Remember singing She loves you on a bench in a pub in Dawlish. Lady Docker whi wad drunk on tv? Fanny Craddock, may all your doughnuts be like Fanny's. We had the Sizzler in Cov did food on hot metal platters next to the Hippodrome. Tizwaz and the dieing Fly. Have I gone 70's again? Was alowed out late to see Jungle Book and walk home in the dark with my mate. Wimpys after swimming the thought still turns the stomache. Sitting under the stairs at the Locarno Saturday aftnernoons. Wasn't really me.
Got a lift in a mini estate had to sit in the boot all skew wiff (nan's phrase). We had a Standard Tourer with a tartan soft top and plastic windows and a parking light which you hung out the winder on a wire. A standard 8 and 10.
Lamot lager was 18p no one would buy it. Little amount makes one tiddley.
Girls in midi skirts and maxis. Chokers. Lynsey de Paul hair. I was a reticent mod.

Was a teenager in 1966 wearing ski pants and baggy knitted sweaters. Very American. I so wanted to be American and go to Cape Canaveral. It gave me a lifetime interest in space. Suppose that was the result of seeing the first moon landing as a youngster. By 1967 through to 1969 I'd converted to a Mod in pencil skirt, tie blouse and fully fashioned cardigan. (Bit of a dabbler in fashion, never stuck with one thing for long). Loved Bluebeat, Ska etc - and still do. Went to the Rainbow Suite, the Locarno, Top Rank, Crown & Cushion Perry Barr for the music and dancing. By the end of the sixties/early 70s I'd moved on to a hippie phase. Started off with the bells, kaftans, crushed velvet tie died tops and dresses (from Oasis) and the essential afghan coat (God it was smelly !). Had a fling with hotpants and cheesecloth. Went regularly to Mothers and saw many bands at the Town Hall, the Odeon and Aston Uni. Watched trendy films at the Arts Lab near Aston Uni. Then moved to London. It was such a FANTASTIC time to be a teenager. So very glad I was growing up in the 60s. Viv

Was a baby in the 60s but remember the Babycham was allowed half a glass at Xmas and Cherry B must have carried on into the 70's, used to drink it with cider - thought it was very grown up, was persuaded to try it again at a reunion and it is awful - besides the fact that one would put me under the table now!!
Snowballs too from the 60s a christmas treat, but my auntie made the best ones herself - no wonder I was a seasoned drinker when I went away training lol.
Had a pair of pinky-purple jersey hot-pants too, courtesy of my nan and mom, tho dad thought they were a bit short - I was only 9 at the time.
Sue

Nico & Viv, I was living those memories with you both. Although a little older at that time, I didn't want to let go of all that fun and the image. Even after marriage in 1963 the fun and frolics went on. It was a basis for life, that has never changed. I could go back to that era tomorrow if the world would allow it. I feel the kids of today have missed one of the great times in life, that may never be repeated. Long live the 60's, even if it's just a memory. Now where did I put that shopping list, "Babycham" "Pony's" "Cherry B" and we are getting low on "Gin for the Gin & Orange, also Port for the Port & Lemon, Oh and that little shop round the corner that sells the "Scrumpy Cider" in big flagons. Hic, Happy Days.

I never realised as a young boy growing up on our council estate that there were so many "Posh Brummies" in our town.
paul

Maypolebaz not when the fella is only an apprentice with apprentice money. lol.

Oh I know ! I was an underpaid young soldier myself.

The girls I knew then wouldn't have gone for the Brandy & Babycham anyway, far too concerned about their reputation.

Nico & Viv, I was living those memories with you both. Although a little older at that time, I didn't want to let go of all that fun and the image. Even after marriage in 1963 the fun and frolics went on. It was a basis for life, that has never changed. I could go back to that era tomorrow if the world would allow it. I feel the kids of today have missed one of the great times in life, that may never be repeated. Long live the 60's, even if it's just a memory. Now where did I put that shopping list, "Babycham" "Pony's" "Cherry B" and we are getting low on "Gin for the Gin & Orange, also Port for the Port & Lemon, Oh and that little shop round the corner that sells the "Scrumpy Cider" in big flagons. Hic, Happy Days.

Brandy mate, don't forget the brandy !

Smock tops, vee knees.Patchuli, vodka and black and when you got ill your mum thought you were coughing up blood.
We used to put 50p each in and buy a big plastic bottle of cider or cidrex or bumper cans.

smashing thread folks...loved reading all your memories...born in 53 i just about caught the tail end of of the 60s..mini skirts...hot pants and stretch boots..many nights spent at the rollar rink..great times spent dancing away in my mates front room to the records of the day..trying to sneek off to the double zero club without mom and dad finding out....drinking brandy and babycham and cherrys b.s when i shouldnt have been lol....happy carefree days indeed and i wouldnt change them for all the tea in china....

lyn

Last edited:
Black fake leather cap like John Lennon used to wear. I had one, but it was awful! Think it was bought from C& A. Viv.

Back