• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Cinemas

Yes my sister and I often went to the West End Ballroom for a change from the Locarno, but we always returned to the Locarno as our favourite.

Judy

Cinemas

Some really great articles and memories of some great Cinemas.
Mrs and me have started up again now we can get the reduced
prices. Only get one film these days no news or Pearl and Dean.
Get some good pre-views.
Beaufort at the Fox and Goose was a Rolls Royce although I started
at the Castle Cinema in the 40's.
My favourite for all sorts of reasons close to the heart etc was the
Beacon at Great Barr. 1963 to 1965.
icon10.gif

Spent some time trying for a decent photo it was demolished years
ago. Best shot I have.

Mike

flicks in eardington high street to see the ten commandments can not remember the name

Would it by the Palace

Beryl. It was probably The Palace Cinema at the Village Green end of the High Street. I think the Palace cinema was an ABC owned cinema and would have had more mainstream films that went to all the ABC cinemas. The other place where they showed films was the Erdington Picture House, practically across the road from the Palace or at least on the other side of the Street almost at the end of the High Street.

I was fortunate to have a happy childhood till the war changed everything as it does for everyone in those days

Last edited by a moderator:
Opened Boxing Day 1912 Closed 19th August 1972 last film shown Oliver.

Violet Pretty was an Usherette there who was later known as Anne Haywood the Film Star.

I was at school with her Brother at Hastings Road in the 50s they lived on Marsh Hill Erdington, think I went to their house a couple of times:)

Thanks Alf - 101 Dalmatians – Sound of Music - Doctor Zhivago – The Graduate – Bush Cassidy and the Sundance kid – I enjoyed all those movies

Alf, Violet Pretty lived in Bleak Hill Road near Witton Lakes Park for a few years in the l950's. Violet attended Fentham Girls School in Erdington and when we had our 100 year celebratory reunion in April 2004 we were in touch with her in California and she sent us a super letter to read out at Sutton Town Hall where we had our "do". with 375 ex-pupils in attendance.

Yes Beryl, I remember those cinemas. Back in 1942-43-44. my girlfriend, now my wife, worked at the Odeon as an usherette along with her sister who was the icecream girl.

Long, long, time ago.

Have a nice day, Wally.

Yes Beryl I saw the my first CinamaScope film at The Birchfield in 1953 The Rob with Richard Burton in the lead with Jean Simmons & Victor Mature.:)

Saw it on the TV about a year ago as well

You will find something about the Odeon on page No1 of this thread

Last edited:
Alf - Actually - have to say - I was told by many I looked a lot like Jean Simmons in those days - Now I don't know what she looks like LOL - Just know she is a bit bigger than I am - 4 11 - it is not hard to beat -

Wally - It is not that long ago really- Can't believe how fast life goes flying by - I was really just a kid when my second cousin would take me to the Odeon - Always thought those usherettes and ice cream girls were very pretty - you lucky man you!

I remember seeing "Little Women" at the Birchfield cinema and also "My Blue Heaven" with Betty Grable. Must have been others. Belonged to the ABC Minors at Odeon Perry Barr. The last film I saw there was in l968 when on a visit to Brum. Film name- can't remember!

Regal, Handsworth

Mine was The Regal in Handsworth - I was there every Sunday afternoon, usually having to queue to get in as it was so popular, and as the show was a continuous one, I sometimes used to spend about 6 hours there - used to get a good telling off when I got home - My mom used to say, how can you spend so much time sitting in the pictures? But then, all my friends were there and we had a good laugh. There was always two films and the newsreel. The cost was 1/0d front stalls, 1/6d back stalls and 2/0d in the circle. They also used to have the organ playing during an interval, but I think that was during weekday performances - can't really remember, it was a long, long time ago .....

Judy

I used to go around 1953-1956. Can't remember all the films I saw there, there were so many, used to go about twice a week. It was a lovely cinema. I used to live in Soho Avenue just off Soho Road at the time. We also went to the Villa Cross, Elite, Palladium - oh yes also used to go to the Albion.

I don't know Handsworth Wood at all, only the entrance to the Park, and also I used to get the bus to go to school sports on Fridays at Hampstead Road down Handsworth Wood to Perry Barr.

Judy

I often went to the Birchfields and the Odeon, the first time i went it was with my sister to see Hamlet starring Laurance Olivier. I am still in love with Hamlet. I wonder if he ever thinks of me.
I was very naughty once, i think it was in the Odeon, i was told to shut up twice and the second time he threatened to have me thrown out. so i got a tube of handcream lifted up his coat collar which was on the back of the seat and emptied the tube along his collar and then turned it back down, and beat a hasty retreat, if this was you, i am so very sorry.

I remember Hamlet 1948/49 time I saw it at the Aston Cross Lichfield Road, there were three of us and with the pretence of watching the Film, the real reason one of my mates had a packet of Pasha Cigs, I remember they were a flat Cig with very dark tobacco, we saw most of the Film then just before the end we lit the Cigs and to cut a long story short we left in a hurry and all of us felt very sick and my mate threw them away.

Then while coming home on leave I met a fellow Army lad who joined the train at Gloster, he was home the Middle East and as you do he ask if I would like a Cig yes I said :Aah: and yes it was those dreaded Pasha, nuff said:|

Alf, thanks for the l968 film list. Looking for the last film I saw at the Odeon, Perry Barr. The film wasn't on there but as I was looking through the list I remembered the fellow's name who starred in the film "The Decline and Fall of a Bird Watcher" starring Robin Phillips. Yesterday, do you think I could remember Robin's last name or the film title. As soon as I remembered Phillips then I looked him up on imdb.com. I knew that he had come to Canada years ago and was involved in live theatre.

I used to go to the Plaza, Stockland Green to a lot of films because it was close to home. I remember "Bambi" "Pinocchio" and lots of cartoons as well as Old Mother Riley, Charlie Chase. Keystone Cops and lots of Laurel and Hardy films. I also remember seeing Norman Wisdom in several films there.

My local was the Odeon, Perry Barr, 6d on Saturday morning. I didn't often go the the Birchfields but I do remember seeing King Kong there, it must have been about 1953 and was it a re-run. Alfie? I know I spent a lot of time with my eyes closed. :)

Di
There have been 9 King Kong Films made including a Animation Musical

King Kong 1933 was the first then Son of King Kong same year 1933

The latest one was in 2005

I'm sure you must have seen the first one Di like we all must have done.

1968 The Japanese made one called King Kong Escapes.

The rest not really worth a mention unless you do:rolleyes: :)

I remember pasha cigarettes Alf, wonderful for showing off with until the sickness kicked in was'nt there also (passing cloud) another poser cigarette that made you equally as sick. happy days

I remember pasha cigarettes Alf, wonderful for showing off with until the sickness kicked in was'nt there also (passing cloud) another poser cigarette that made you equally as sick. happy days

Yes Passing Cloud passing Out more like:Aah:

If you wanted to impress your boyfriend who smoked you bought him Sobranie Black Russian and men who wanted to impress women who smoked bought them Sobranie Cocktail cigarettes that were in pastel shades in an oval tin.

Jennyann,
You have just rung a bell in this cranium. In my youth I would dress in a black suit, black shirt and silver slim jim tie and my obligatory Tony Curtis D.A. and go, on a Saturday evening, to the local bug hutch - The Tudor Cinema at Billesley.
To finish the effect would shell out and buy a packet of Black Sobranie ciggies instead of my usual Park Drive. Tell you it was all show, but the Sobranie knocked the pants off the Park Drive for taste but the price.... ouch!!
Will

I remember Paines shoe repairers very well, I think my mom used to take shoes there! I was always up and down Villa Road. I don't know the coffee bar you mentioned or the youth club, but we had left Handsworth by 1956!

Judy

Will, your Saturday night "get up" for the The Tudor sounds really top notch for those times. The Sobranie's were expensive but everyone would comment or at least notice if you happen to be smoking one. You couldn't buy them
everywhere either.

Jennyann
I was a 'flash' big beggar in those days (think I have changed)
Would stand at the top of the steps of the Tudor, Sobranie in full display, eyeing up a possible young lady who would return my interest. If a twosome one was on a loser unless you had a mate with you.
Technique was to get immediately behind the 'intended target' to get the tickets and put the chat in there and then before making a final decision as to whether to follow her to her seat. Tell you Danny Zuko, eat your heart out. Think that is why the film/show 'Grease' is such a success for it brings back all the youthful insecurities in courtship back to the viewers.
Not always sucessful, mind you, and on those days regretted the price paid for the ciggies.
Sorry fellas if I have given away any past secrets of ours.
I bought my Sobranies at a small shop in Colmore Row on a Friday during my lunch break. Was then all geared up.
Will.

Last edited:
Back