• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

Those of us who grew up catching buses to that well known Birmingham suburb "Service Extra" are probably not surprised at what can appear on destination boards. My bus into Birmingham this morning said "Severe Weather Buses Delayed". What is know technically as a statement of the bleeding obvious but still not not say where the bus was going. Half way there it broke down and we had to get on the bus behind.

Does anyone remember the "Auxillary Conductors" being on the buses during the war? my dad was one, they used to
wear armbands, Bernard

Those of us who grew up catching buses to that well known Birmingham suburb "Service Extra" are probably not surprised at what can appear on destination boards. My bus into Birmingham this morning said "Severe Weather Buses Delayed". What is know technically as a statement of the bleeding obvious but still not not say where the bus was going. Half way there it broke down and we had to get on the bus behind.

The study of destination displays has it's own fascination and enthusiasts. Of greatest interest are the displays that get altered when route changes occur that do not warrant the change of a whole garage's blinds.
I happened to see one of those 'Severe Weather' displays today, on an 82 in Bearwood - but it alternated with the normal display every 15-20 seconds or so. I doubt it will stop the "I've been waiting here for 40 minutes, where the h*ll have you been" moans from passengers though - it's no surprise the drivers will want to cease running at the slightest hint of snow, ice or fog if that's how they're treated.
Many years ago Manchester Corporation buses had the display "FOG" on their blinds, to tell crews and passengers when schedules were altered to allow longer running time on the journeys. Doubtless one or two folk got on and asked "Where's 'Fog'? I want Piccadilly Centre!"

glad to see that BCT havn't changed since the late50's David and that the weather and servicing are still contributing to that great old Birmingham tradition of "if all passengers will please disembark and catch the one behind".
paul

Not heard about 'auxilliary conductors' before - interesting. I guess, as a youngster, I just accepted the conductor as a ticket seller whoever, or whatever, they were.

I do recall buses when entering the city jurisdiction, just beyond the Solihull/City boundary on the Stratford Road, were stopped and Police boarded to check Identity Cards/Papers/Passports or whatever. I never did see anyone make a run for it. :D

Regarding modern destination displays. Stagecoach Devon displays show, at frequent intervals, the wording 'Welcome Aboard'. Seasonal Greetings also feature at the correct times of year of course. Older style linen blinds of the former Devon General, were along the style of London Transport; that is to say the place names shown, in descending order, were that of the routes progression. Holiday makers boarding buses in Central Paignton and sometimes Torquay seemed to be confused at times boarding a bus which had already passed their intended destination and was on its way to the lower named place shown on the blind. (the main route serving the principal tourist areas still runs from Newton Abbot to Brixham via Torquay and Paignton) The tourists were often situated in the upper deck and due to a fully loaded bus (which in summer time was the norm), with conductor, they were usually approaching a couple of miles in the wrong direction before being told they were on the wrong bus. This information resulted in benign resignation by those who were having a good holiday or were just plain tired after a days bake on the beach to great annoyance by others. :cry: Some of the conductors. I guess, would fit Bernards category as seasonal staff were taken on during summertime.

Wartime would have been before I was born but I do remember trainee conductors on both Midland Red and BCT used to wear the summer uniform of khaki jacket with red trim for Midland Red and blue trim for BCT. I think the BCT khaki was slightly darker than the Midlnad Red. I know that some Midland Red office staff also did some overtime shifts on the buses at weekends and were issued with the khaki jackets.

The 'Auxiliary Conductors' would take care of the platform, loading and unloading, whilst the regular man collected the fares during the hours of blackout and at peak periods.
I would offer to 'look after the platform' for conductors I knew on the No.9 between my home and five ways when I was at school there - some were very grateful and let me off paying the fare for doing so! This was after the official auxiliaries had been finished, of course.
Some passengers were amused by a boy in school uniform shouting "Two seats on top, three standing inside ONLY please!" at them as we pulled up to a stop.

Thanks again Lloyd for putting the record straight, I keep forgetting that quite a number of our members
were not born in the times I remember. In the rushhour it was difficult for the conductor to look after the platform and get all the fares in. I think my old man just did for a free ride to Yardley Wood on the 13A, I am glad you remember, I sometimes think I am imaging things, cheers Bernard

I think this photo was taken on the Hagley Road Quinton, he Holly Bush pub is at the bottom of the hill

Hello Alf,

I too learned and passed my test on an old ex-Birmingham Corporation Guy Arab of Andy's Coaches of Nechells. As I remember, [ it was a long time ago ], it had a "Chinese" gearbox, that is to say 1st gear was where 3rd gear is on a normal H pattern box and 3rd where 1st is. It did take a bit of getting used to but it was a lovely box to use but of course most Brummie bus drivers by then had gotten used to the pre-select Daimler box and manual boxes hard work in comparision, urban bus driving with the increase in traffic was hard enough as it was without trying to outwit the unforgiving crash boxes, especially when running late!

Mike

Here's my view of one of my favourite buses, no prizes for where it is but a clue would be the smell!
https://www.redbubble.com/people/artistjeffries/art/5093538-1-btc-daimler-cog5

Can't think where except Scotts Arms, presume the 51e went via beeches rd before continuing onto Great Barr as the 52 covered beeches rd. The only row of shops I can remember on the Walsall rd were at the tennis courts, rocky lane, tower hill and then scotts arms but none, except scotts arms, looked anything like the one in the photo. Spent many unhappy years traveling to beeches road school on the 52 from the perry avenue stop, unless I had spent the bus fare at the tuck shop or cottage stores resulting in me having to walk.

It looks like the Scott Arms long ago because I can see what looks like a supermarket behind it, and the passageway between a building society and the next set of shops.

Yes, I think it's the Scott's as well.
It's just by the shops where the bus has turned round to begin the journey back to Town.

I though I had posted a reply earlier today but it seems to have disappeared so I must have done something wrong. I was coming on now to correct it.

Originally I said that I thought that service 51 was a replacement for Midland Red service 119 which had been operated on behalf of Birmingham Corporation. I now remember that service 119 Birmingham - Scott Arms was replaced by service 52. I am assuming therefore that service 51 is a variation on service 52 possibly taking a different route. When Midland Red route 118 was taken over by WMPTE the whole route Birmingham- Walsall became service 52.

Hoping that this gets posted this time

ragga its just come out of a workshop that's how I used to ferry them back to their Garages and how the use to leave Tyburn Road it would help if we had a year:)

By the look of the cars one looks like a Vaxhall Viva & could the other one be a Vaxhall?

Also when did Tyburn Road works close down, I left in 1961/2

Last edited:
The car in the back ground looks like a mk 4 cortina so this picture must be around 1977/78. I can remember delivering a Lea Hall bus there in 1977 so it was still open then.

I don't believe it is Tyburn Road. Possibly Moseley Rd after withdrawal and complete restoration - note the bus is carrying Birmingham coat of Arms.

It is The Scotts Arm, the Super Market was Fine fair, and the Estate agents to the left of the entry I think was Watts Wainwright.

I think that was where the very sad case of the Kidnapped female Estate Agent who hopefully has put in behind her and is living a good life on the Isle Wight.

It would be before the dual carriageway was contructed.

That dual carriageway was planned and drains built before the War, but it was many years after that it was built

I agree with tardebigge, the view of 3225 is the yard between the garage and the office block at Moseley Road - the cantilevered section of first floor gives that away. The depot was an apprentice training centre after closure as a garage.
As jfc says, the age of the cars is after the BCT transfer to WMPTE so it's taken at the time of its restoration.

Last edited:
Yes we can all safely say it is the Scott arms , walsall road .
as to Rays post , the kidnapped girl was Stephenie Slater
and she worked for Shipway estate agency and the person
who kidnapped her was Michael Sams in which he is doing
life for now , bit off topic but there you are .
ragga :)

Back