• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

changed mind now about the location of where the kiln was...just looked at vivs map again and it was situated at the bottom of the back gardens in willmore road so more than likely it will be on the hirons nurseries ground..

lyn

viv the roman kiln site is located at the end of the back gardens of nos 73/75 willmore road...

lyn

Well done Lyn. That's great to have a precise location. Do you know if you can see any it or is it all covered over? Viv.

viv i doubt very much if we will see the kiln but i hope to take a look when i can this week...
just going to visit our dad now...catch you later..
lyn

Looking at the GE aerial view at the rear of Willmore Rd houses (red pin is supposed to be roughly about #75) there's what looks like a gravelled/slabbed area between the end of the domestic gardens and the allotments (or garden centre land). Wonder if it's underneath that or a little further along?There looks like there's access to that area through the garden centre. Another opportunity for you to use your fine-tuned powers of persuasion Lyn if you get over there! Viv.

225 Birchfield Rd
Image394.jpg

Great pictures Topsy. This would be the same side of the road as the houses I'm interested in - and not so very far from # 247. I seem to remember the car sales place - looks quite familiar. If so it must have still been there into the late 1950s or early 1960s. I'm going to be sending all the pics off to my aunt who remembers PB as a village, see if it sparks off any memories. Viv.

caralina, yes he was a speedway rider for the Birmingham Brummies way back in the 50's at Perry Barr, he was known as 'Tiger' Hart, quite a good rider. He later set up an Insurance company called Hart Insurance, I had my car insured with him once. Eric

I Believe it was just past where the Library used to be. According to what i read adjacent to the house were two coach houses that were rented out to Phil Tiger Hart who was the captain of The speedway.

I remember the speedway very well, used to there of a saturday night as a family. My mom won a prize one year as the best supporter and Ivor Davies presented it to her. It was a set of pyrex dishes.

Topsy, Lyn found the Rectory at 213 and the Birchfield Hotel at 253, so Phil Harts must be in between them if it is 225. Maybe it wasn't Phil Harts that I remember but it was definitely a car place.
Lynne.

It's funny how a photo like the one in #177 brings back memories, I must have looked at his place many times from the top deck of a bus. The photo shows a nice collection of 'oldish' cars. I also remember watching him race as 'Tiger Hart', at the 'dirt track'.

That's it Oldmohawk, I too think that's why I remember it, the view from the bus. I think I'd have regularly passed it to go to Enid Goodwin's Dance School. In fact I might even have got off the bus very near to here to cross the road. It must have been a little further down from the Odeon, would that be about right? Viv.

Topsy I lived in Calder Tower for a couple of years, thanks for posting these pics, they are doing wonders for my memory.
Lynne.

Christmas 1962 and the children who'd just moved into Birchfield Tower get a lovely surprise. Just look at their darling faces!! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331840800.994871.jpg

Here is 293 Birchfield Road. It's the Birmingham Municiple Bank (now Lloyds TSB). Pictures were taken at the opening in 1927. I remember the Municiple Bank books. They had that key logo on the front. There's a key hanging as a sign above the ground floor windows in the exterior view. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331846335.461989.jpg Exterior view 1927

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331846362.998140.jpg Official opening 1927

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331846403.392960.jpg Interior view 1927

Lynne, a girl from my school "Lozells" lived in Calder Tower, I think her parents emigrated to Australia in the 60s. If i remember correctly her name was Barbara Philips.

Vivienne, what a smashing picture of the kids with Santa.

Topsy, we were only on the first floor in Calder Tower so didnt really know the neighbours so I dont remember your friend. Those flats were lovely at first but went downhill fast, maybe thats why your friends parents emigrated. I left there in 1966 when I got married.

The old Phil Hart Motors place is still there, opposite Holford Drive. I think it's still a second-hand car garage.

Phil Hart Insurances started on Newtown Row, I believe. The last branch as far as I'm aware was near the junction of Queslett Road and Aldridge Road. I can remember insuring my Mini, 3rd Party Fire & Theft for about £4.10.0 in 1967.

Big Gee

Back