• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BCT Bus Depots

D

Degsy168

Can anyone identify the bus depot at which these three pics were taken?

My guess is:

3059 MOF 59 in the graveyard at Liverpool Street garage for the first?

3068 MOF 68 at Quinton garage for the second pic despite the route number shown on the vehicle which was not a Quinton domain?

2823 JOJ 823 I'm guessing is at Miller Street garage?

Do any of these depots look familiar to anyone bearing in mind that all of these depots have since closed - Quinton garage being the most recent of three listed above when it operated under Travel West Midlands?

I think the last one of the three pics could be at Cotteridge going by the route number 45E on the second Park Royal bodied Daimler Fleetline in the line-up of vehicles?

tardebigge - I have no reason to challenge you that it isn't Cotteridge depot! My assumption was based on the route number 45E displayed on the Daimler Fleetline which was a Cotteridge domain I seem to recall.

We'll just have to work on that one again....

if its not Cotteridge. it maybe Selly Oak :sarcastic: the garage always
had buses outside ........ or it could be Tyburn road works and
the buses were waiting outside to be driven to there rightful
garage after under going repairs .
ragga :sarcastic:

Don't think its Tyburn they would be Parked the other side also they would be spaced ( I was one who's job it was to park them) so that they could be driven straight out finally they are to dirty, they never left Tyburn in that state:)

One other thing the Roof dosn't look right

I was thinking along the same lines that it could be Selly Oak garage if it isn't Cotteridge - After all, they were in close proximity to each other!

No, not Selly Oak - there were no trees on the side. Also you can see the old tramway overhead posts, so it's got to be Cotteridge. Just a quiet housing estate now!
Peter

I'm still convinced that the last photo with 2823 JOJ 823 is at Cotteridge despite what tardebigge has stated to the contrary. There are two principal factors on which I form that view.

1. The route number 45E on that Daimler Fleetline in the line-up is definitely a giveaway.

2. Peter's posting with regard to the overhead tram posts is the other factor that convinces me that it is Cotteridge garage.

Until I see pictorial evidence to the contrary, that view will remain!

Here's another brain teaser photo taken at a bus depot. The vehicle is 2792 JOJ 792, a Daimler CVG6 with a Crossley H30/25R body which was allocated new to Liverpool Street garage in 1952.

Can anyone identify where the vehicle was taken here?

Could it be Wellhead Lane Perry Barr .... :sarcastic:
I know there was playing fields left hand
side to the garage.
ragga :)

Yes, I'd say Wellhead Lane too. You can see the building is fairly 'modern' in style - not like the old tram sheds - nd the open space behind the fence and trees points to Wellhead Lane, rather than Acocks Green. It's certainly not the post-war Quinton garage.
Peter

I'm still convinced that the last photo with 2823 JOJ 823 is at Cotteridge despite what tardebigge has stated to the contrary. There are two principal factors on which I form that view.

1. The route number 45E on that Daimler Fleetline in the line-up is definitely a giveaway.

2. Peter's posting with regard to the overhead tram posts is the other factor that convinces me that it is Cotteridge garage.

Until I see pictorial evidence to the contrary, that view will remain!
1. There were no trees at the Cotteridge Depot.
2. How come the rear fleetline is not showing 45E..Cotteridge?
3. The tram posts had long been removed when the fleetlines (KOX...F) came in in 1968..which were replaced by the NOV ..(G) fleetlines in 1969

Photo of 2792 JOJ 792

Ragga - I honestly don't know where that photo of the vehicle was taken but, in answer to the question, there appears to be a concensus that the depot at which it was taken is Perry Barr judging by the replies which I'm satisfied with. Cheers

Degsy

On the left along those rails was a path that lead to the BCT Transport Football pitch:)

Tarde how do you know this info, did you work for BCT at any time?:)

Bus 2823

Cotteridge, definitely. The tramway poles remained long after the trams went to hold up yard lighting. The wall alongside which the bus is parked (actually the building that it is part of, alongside the bank) is visible, as is the roof behind the buses and the tree, both the latter marked by yellow pins, in this view of the redeveloped site I've just taken from Google earth.

Yes defiantly Cotteridge, my office was just down from the depot, on the Google Earth photo I can see where I used to park my car, when the depot was demolished they built flats for the elderly.

2823 Joj 823

Well, it appears that five of us are of the opinion that Daimler CVG6 No 2823 JOJ 823 is at Cotteridge garage. Thanks guys.

Happy New Year
Degsy

1st picture. lefthand fleetline is not a birmingham bus ,maybe walsall or
wolverhampton. righthand bus could be the same,ether walsall or wolverhampton. birmingham guy buses were transfered to walsall to replace the trolly buses. I think this could be birchills depot walsall, wich
is why the trolly wire poles are still there at the time of the photo.

Postie Thats Tyburn Road I believe, they tested Fire engines lorrys and Buses from all over there.

That could well be me driving that Lansing out of the building which I shunted the buses on to that tilt thingy

Last edited:
Hi john70,

Perhaps you could identify where the location of 2823 was taken here?. I have no date on which it was taken. My sources tell me that 2823 was allocated originally at Barford Street garage when it was new. I presume it then went to Lea Hall garage in 1955 following the Barford Street closure before its transfer to Yardley Wood?.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about this one, Alfie.

Thanks again look at the back wall just to the left was the section I started in on my first day 1958. Magic photo Postie.

Its like being on this is your Life

Back