• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Balsall Heath.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Iris Matthews, I lived at 1/36 Hope Street for the period of 1938 - 1960 I lived with my mother Mrs Maud Matthews and my twin sister Irene Matthews. We lived in a back to back house, toilets outside, brewhouse for the washing. We had a cellar where the coal was chucked down from the sacks. My mother was always in the pubs mainly Baltic, the Star, the Duke and the Dolphin in Vaughton Street, just off Gooch Street.
I attended Hope street School (mixed) from infants to seniors, i remember the following teachers Mr Marshall, Miss Clark (who slapped my face for talking, when I wasn't) I remember the Rose family, the Jay family.
I worked as a Saturday girl at Dantes hairdressers, sweeping the floor and making tea.
Does anyone remember Box's little shop, where we used to go for sweets, opposite Hope Street School? The coal yard?
In Gooch street I remember the cooked meat shop called Jeavons's where my mum used to get Hodge and chicklings and we used to get a whole suckling pig for Christmas. I remember getting free scratchings from Kench's fish and chip shop (best chip shop in Balsall Heath) and going to the Triangle, the Luxor, the Mosely picture house, the Alambra and visiting Dr Mc Gregor from Conybere Street.
I was really thrilled to see this forum as I now live in Coventry but have returned to the area only to find EVERYTHING has gone. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at the photographs and would be grateful to see more and would love to talk to anyone who may remember me or my family and remind me of past memories (i am so excited when things come back remembering Hope Street)
Kind Regards
Iris
Hi Iris, I’m new on here and have just spotted this old post. My Grandad, Joseph Jeavons was the butcher at 229 Gooch St. He passed away in 1951,aged 51 so I never knew him. I’ve not been able to find out much about him, so it was great to find a mention of him

Hi Iris, I’m new on here and have just spotted this old post. My Grandad, Joseph Jeavons was the butcher at 229 Gooch St. He passed away in 1951,aged 51 so I never knew him. I’ve not been able to find out much about him, so it was great to find a mention of him

Hi

Have you seen this photo of your granddads shop next door to the Star on the corner of Hope Street. I'm afraid I didn't know your granddad, but is there anyone in your family with the name of Alan. As I went to school with a lad called Alan Jeavons in the late 50's early 60's he would be about 70 now.

Highgate Star Inn Gooch St - Hope St.jpg

Last edited:
Phil, Thanks for the photo, first one I’ve seen of the shop. I don’t think Alan can be a relative. Our mom Audrey was the only daughter born 1933, and there was a son Geoffrey, who died aged 5 in 1931, I believe he may have been run over very close to the shop. Me and my sister are hoping to find out a bit more. Thanks again

Phil, Thanks for the photo, first one I’ve seen of the shop. I don’t think Alan can be a relative. Our mom Audrey was the only daughter born 1933, and there was a son Geoffrey, who died aged 5 in 1931, I believe he may have been run over very close to the shop. Me and my sister are hoping to find out a bit more. Thanks again

It was just a thought as Jeavons is not that common a name and Alan obviously lived in the Balsall Heath area, but I have no idea where there could have been a connection. Sorry it was of no help but the best if luck in your endeavours.

It was just a thought as Jeavons is not that common a name and Alan obviously lived in the Balsall Heath area, but I have no idea where there could have been a connection. Sorry it was of no help but the best if luck in your endeavours.

Thanks Phil, do you know what school would have been the most likely for Audrey Jeavons, living in Gooch Street, born 1933, know she was evacuated. I have found out Geoffrey Jeavons died 1/5/31 and buried Lodge Hill

Well Chas what a really pleasant surprise to hear from you.
What a magic place the Moyden's backyard was, the memories keep coming, from that Prussian Blue Persian cat that always seemed to be on the window sill, the ever going egg and bacon sandwiches that keep the family going between the shifts everyone took their turn at. Watching Freddy spray painting in the shed that wouldn't be allowed today, with a chance he would give your bike a quick coating. I loved the smell of the duco, and still do!
I learnt to ride a bike in that yard, it was on the family fairy cycle which was up on the stand and I was peddling like mad with the rear wheel spinning away until someone gave me a push. I went straight through the archway and gate into Tillingham St, turning right, past our house and the Davies's off license and into the lamppost halfway down the street with Bertie shouting not to look at the wheel. By the end of the day I thought I was Evil Kanevil a kept on to my folks for a real bike.
I got one , a pre war sit up and beg, cost 5 quid (that sounds dear!) from a house in Larches St, black but it had real plastic ivory handlebar grips. We stripped it down quick smart, but the grips stayed.
Do you remember when Mr Moyden bought a double decker tram, when they were taken off the tracks.
Bertie and I ran home from school the day it was to be delivered with plans of playing on it like a pirates galleon or the like. When we got into the yard it was just a huge pile of smashed firewood, it had been crushed or suchlike by something huge and the splinters were cream and navy blue 6 foot long and would have skewered anything that fell on it.
When we were in the UK in 1978 we spent a lovely afternoon with Violet Moyden at her home in Pear Tree Close and sat watching the Narrow boats passing on the canal at the bottom of her garden.
When Marion was here on a flying visit in something like1990ish I was only able to take her for lunch and a quick visit to the boat club I was a member of at the time then she was booked for a group dinner on a tramcar restaurant.
She was able to fill me in with the family history, Fred's death , Jimmy losing his beautiful curls and Betty going to The Philippines, please give her our regards when next you see her. Funny I know she must be middle aged like the rest of us but I still see her as a teen ager (is that weird or what!)
Well I think that is it for now, keep in touch.
Cheers Ticker (I'd forgotten that!)
Hi Tim Eborn ,or ticker as my cousin Bertie Moyden called you. Saw your reply to Dave Rock and thought I would give you a shout.
My name is Charles Rose or Chas and if you remember you sometimes joined us to play with his collection
of Dinky Toys in the garage yard amongst the sand and rubbish, great days never forgotten.
Sadly the only member of the family left with us is Betty Moyden who lives in the Philippines but visits the UK sometimes and we join her for a pub lunch and remember the old times. As youngsters Bertie and I were very close and we spent a lot of our childhood together. Hope you are keeping well.
Best Wishes
Chas

Hi Chas. Do you remember me. Roger Moyden Alberts son. I loved visiting your dads pubs. And seeing yourself John ,and Margeret. I remember your dog Major. How are all the family keeping

Hi Roger if I read this correctly you are the son of my old mate known to me as Bertie ( funnily when I caught up with him at Golden Hillock Rd school he was known as Sam, after his initials for Sylvester Albert Moyden! ).
This came as a suprise as I cant recall hearing of him getting married as I came to Australia and he died quite young.
Cheers Tim

Hi Tim. I am not Bertie's son I am sorry you misread my message. Bertie's dad was my uncle and I visited the grarage quite often with my dad. It was Chas Rose I was meaning to send a message to because he was another cousin of mine who visited the garage. It was a shame that Bertie died so young,he was a character. I think Betty is the only one alive now,l know she moved to the Canary Islands .you never know we may have met during my visits there. It was lovely to hear from you. Are you still living in Australia. Did you remember the other family members,if you did it would be lovely to hear your memories of them. Best wishes. Roger

Harley,

I remember the shop well, we used to go in there when we were about 15 and buy some of those long cigarettes that were about 10 inches long. They sold all sorts of exotic cigarettes there.

When you show your family the photo's show them this one of the Belgrave Public House on the corner. Such a shame they pulled it down, Its thirty years later and they still havent built on the site. Ask them if they remember Harold the gaffer there about 1966 not long before they blosed it.

Postied

Well done I remember that chimney stack well. I didn't think there would be much chance of getting a photo of anything else as Rylands took up most of the street (which is still there) and so was Rylands last time I was down there in a new factory now though.

pmc1947

Hi Phil,

Read your post re: the Belgrave Pub, whilst browsing the forums, I used to work with the gaffer (Harry Coney) at Lucas Electrical (Gt King Street) in the 1970's. My Wife's Nan (Annie Bousfield) used to work for Harry at the Belgrave for a number of years making the sarnies & cucumber in vinegar; small world eh mate?

Lozellian.

Hello Iris, I was born at 4/18 hope street 1946 and went to Hope street school until about 1959 when I left 1st year seniors to go to Swanshurst Bi Lateral. Do you remember William's shop, Trippas's bakery? I remember Valerie Kench, she left Hope street to go to Greenmore College. I went to Dantes even when he moved to Digbeth and to his daughter's shop in Aston on my wedding day 1968.
Love you to come up with your memories so we can bounce them to and fro, Marlene Bach
Hello there .. could you please tell me where Trippas bakery was....

Hello there .. could you please tell me where Trippas bakery was....

Bushbaby

That really would depend on which Trippas bakery you were looking for, and what year. Though as the one one the corner of Ladypool Road and St Pauls Road is the one most talked about and I can vouch that the bread and cakes from there were wonderful I am going to plump for this one. Though if it is another one then I have addresses for them also.

Used to buy a 1 penny slab of their bread pudding on the way to the Carlton Picture House for the Saturday matinee. Thanks for memories!

Hi Phil,

Read your post re: the Belgrave Pub, whilst browsing the forums, I used to work with the gaffer (Harry Coney) at Lucas Electrical (Gt King Street) in the 1970's. My Wife's Nan (Annie Bousfield) used to work for Harry at the Belgrave for a number of years making the sarnies & cucumber in vinegar; small world eh mate?

Lozellian.

Lozellian

It must have been around 1964/65 when I used the Belgrave we always used he little back room off the passage and collected our drinks from the trapdoor. I'm sorry I never knew your Wife's nan and always thought of Harold as being one of the strictest gaffers of any of the pubs I have known over the years I don't think I can ever remember anyone having the courage to call him Harry.

Lozellian

It must have been around 1964/65 when I used the Belgrave we always used he little back room off the passage and collected our drinks from the trapdoor. I'm sorry I never knew your Wife's nan and always thought of Harold as being one of the strictest gaffers of any of the pubs I have known over the years I don't think I can ever remember anyone having the courage to call him Harry.

Hello Phil,

I think by the time I'd met him and got to know him a little, he'd possibly mellowed somewhat from those days but, I imagine at the time he was the gaffer (although the Wife insists that her Nan was actually the gaffer ha ha) he had to be strict where necessary.

Lozellian.

Thanks Phil, do you know what school would have been the most likely for Audrey Jeavons, living in Gooch Street, born 1933, know she was evacuated. I have found out Geoffrey Jeavons died 1/5/31 and buried Lodge Hill

Big jeavons transport company,was in Tysley, not sure now. I went to school in Shirley with their sons....it's still going strong,as the trucks are often around.

Hi all. You have made me out of puff reading all the Balsall Heath street names, I started work at F.Fortey and sons Builders 157 Brighton Road in 1954 when every job was reached by handcart which ment that the kid pushed the handcart and the foreman walked on the pavement so when we got the work ticket the first thing we did was to check out how many hills were on the route which to be fair there were not many except Church road perhaps.
Regards Acklam19.

Hi, my husband and his family lived in balsall heath road, and sherbourne road in the back to back houses! Just wondered if any of you remember them? Their name was Roberts and my hubby is one of eleven children. Thanks Nicki
My uncle Alan is a Robert's one of eleven children.born in balsall heath His wife was name Janet. They lived in balsall heath. With their 3 children.

Hi Liz, is redmond your maiden name? My husband lived in balsall heath road then sherbourne road, the names were Alan, William, Lesley, Johnny, Eric, Robert, Anthony, Joan ,Kathleen, Linda and Sharon. Do remember them at all?
Alan may be my uncle.

Hi Tim. I am not Bertie's son I am sorry you misread my message. Bertie's dad was my uncle and I visited the grarage quite often with my dad. It was Chas Rose I was meaning to send a message to because he was another cousin of mine who visited the garage. It was a shame that Bertie died so young,he was a character. I think Betty is the only one alive now,l know she moved to the Canary Islands .you never know we may have met during my visits there. It was lovely to hear from you. Are you still living in Australia. Did you remember the other family members,if you did it would be lovely to hear your memories of them. Best wishes. Roger
Hi Roger, sorry for the delay in replying to you but we've been a bit busy. Still here in Oz and no plans or desires to go elsewhere, at age 80 weve sort of run out of steam and whats left keeps us on our toes.
Sorry to say I cant add much to what has been said already as we all seemed to drift apart during my teen years. We were always very friendly with the Moydens , my sister was at one time the girlfriend of Freddy and your Auntie Violet sort of saved Mom when she had a sever loss of blood from a damaged varicose vein.
My parents joined my wife and I and it all sort of slid away .
When Bertie got his flying license he wrote me with plans to meet up as he was to ferry a plane to
OAust. but his mom contacted me to say it wasn't going to happen due to his ill health but would I go along with it. As you know he died shortly after that. I often wondered if the cancer was a result of that bad accident he had on his motor bike and being run over by a couple of cars. He told me they wanted to amputate his legs bt Freddy insisted that they put him back together.
On that I will close . Cheers Tim

Very long shot here. Does anyone recall the Dunn family of Balsall Heath road. My dad Walter his twin Bernard and sister Rene with their mum Jess lived there.I have no idea of the full address but it was in a back to back somewhere on the left as you went downhill. My dad attended Hope Street School and left aged 14 on 2nd November 1940. He served in Dad's army before being called up. Bernard served with the Navy during the war and the Army afterwards. He served in Malaysia and brought a tiger home which lived in a cupboard in Nans house.Well,we believed it.:)
Walter,my Dad married my mum Kitty Soady from Sparkbrook in 1952 and they moved to Ladywood Road.
We used to visit Nanny Dunn on Sunday in our best bib&tucker. Dad and Bernard would take us to the Belgrave Arms where we had the traditional Sunday drink of lemonade, stood outside for what seemed like hours. Back to Nans where Dad had a full Sunday lunch before we caught the No8 home where he had another Sunday lunch. It was many years before mum found this out.
Sadly they are gone now and I do miss the old man. Can't really say that I remember a great deal about Balsall Heath but I am enjoying reading the accounts in this thread and do feel there is a little bit of Balsall Heath in my DNA.

Happy days Brummies,
Nodd KD

On the 1939 Register their address is 41 Wrentham Street.

And there's an Annie Dunn living at 83 Wrentham Street.

WOW! Thanks for the quick reply very much appreciated.
I have no knowledge of an address for them except Balsall Heath Rd. As I stated in my original post I am not very familiar with the area and have no idea where Wrentham St is.
Coincidentally I have a cousin called Ann,the daughter of my Dad's brother,however she lives elsewhere in Birmingham.

Again thank you for your interest and help.

NoddKD

I don't think Wrentham St would have been classed as Balsall Heath, it runs between Sherlock St and Suffolk St, but as you can see from these maps by 1950 no 41 seems to have been demolished...

Wrentham St 1937.jpg Wrentham St 1950.jpg

First map is dated 1937 and the second 1950. On the 1950 map no 83 is still in existence but no 41 which I think would have been on the opposite side a little further down is gone, so possibly in Balsall Heath by then.

The Annie Dunn mentioned above appears to be Jessie's mother in law.

I really have no knowledge of the family much before about 1958/59 when I was about 5.
I think I need find if other members of the Dunn have memories or records of the family. Snag is,I am the eldest so their memories are probably worse than mine.
Funny how a small thing can trigger an interest. Never really thought about the family history until I found this thread.
The investigation begins.

Again thank you for your help,very much appreciated.

NoddKD

Balsall Heath is part of the Birmingham 12 district, whereas Wrentham Street is part of the Birmingham 5 district which is Central.

Back