• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

balsall heath

• Thread starter Thread starter citydaveapril13
  • Start date Start date
C

citydaveapril13

hello my name is david bibb used to live in balsall heath in vaughton street south i could do with some help with info and any photos of the street ty

Hello and Welcome citydaveapril13,

I always thought Vaughton Street South was more Highgate than Balsall Heath. What period are we talking about before during or after St Martins Flats.

pmc1947

Last edited:
hi ty for your replys i lived in no 48 from the 50s to about 1968 but was away at school for about 6 years regards david ty

Hi Dave, type 'vaughton' into the search box at the top of the page, and a number of posts will appear about Balsall Heath/ Highgate area.

Pom :angel:

ty for info mistress brum and is there anyone that can tell me or have any photos of a public house called " the star " on gooch street opp vaughton street south

hello can anyone tell me how to go about getting old school photos and photos of relatives that were in army but have now passed on ty regards david

Hello David

have you tried friends reunited for school photo's. I'm sorry I can't be of help in relation to army photo's, but I am sure some one here will be able to point you in the right direction.

pmc1947

hello can anyone tell me how to go about getting old school photos and photos of relatives that were in army but have now passed on ty regards david

David go to the Home Page and look down all the Headings and you will find many Pages about World Wars I & 2 you might find something you are looking for there

are there any ex pupils of schools uffculme in moseley or hunters hill in blackwell nr bromsgrove

hi all can any help me im trying to find one set of my wifes grandparents trying to find out when they were married their names are william roberts and harriet roberts nee fowkes and any other info i would be grateful thank you

has anyone got info on pub called the meadway opp poolway shopping centre

Hello Dave,

It was a long way from Balsall Heath, I can tell you that much. It was also a bit of a rough pub at times. I drank in there for a while in the mid eighties. I believe it has like most pubs closed now.

What did you want to know, but I have to admit I don't remember much about it.

As to your other requests people need more information if they are to help you.

Phil

The meadway was knocked down years ago, they built a kwik save there, but now it's a netto, there were quite a few punch ups there, but there was quite a nice bunch of people use there too.

hi dave go to your local library & get a book called[the archive photographs series MOSELEY, BALSALL HEATH,HIGHGATE] ON PAGE48 ,NUMBER,S 17-53,VAUGHTON ST,1956 THE YEAR, THE BOOK HAS MOST OF THE STREET,S PHOTO,S IN HIGHGATE & OF ST, MARTIN,S FLAT,S WHE IT WAS GETTING BUILD [1936] & WHEN IT WAS KNOCKED DOWN [1979-1980] OK,, CHEERO christy

can any one help me find any information on 2 relatives of mine they are arthur bickley born in birmingham do not know birth year but birthday was 27 september and amy wassall again not know birth year but birthday was 31 july

There is a possibility that these are yours:
Arthur Bickley Birth registered Birmingham 4th quarter 1884 vol 6d page 195
Amy Flora Wassall birth registered Birmingham 3rd quarter 1880 vol 6d page 126

do you know names of children in photo please kind regards david

could someone please help me by looking up cencus for arthur bickley and amy wassall i would be eternally grateful thank you regards david

Do you know any more about them, ages, dates etc?
The newest census available (1901) has 5 'Arthur Bickley' listed in 'Birmingham'
1) The 13 Year old son of widow Harriet Evans at 70 Peel Street, Rotton Park (There was another son, 8 y-o Geo. Evans there as well).
2) An 18 y-o son of William and Elizabeth Bickley, who lived with eight siblings and a brother-in-law at 15 Villiers Street, Rotton Park.
3) The 9 y-o son of Arthur and Alice Bickley who lived at 1/4 (1, back of 4) Harding Street All Saints with six siblings and a cousin.
4) The above's 36 y-o father.
5) A 65 y-o at 2 House, 27 Court, Unett Street, St George's district, living with his wife Sarah and son Alfred.

For 'Amy Wassall' there are 2:
1) The 15 y-o daughter of Thomas and Sarah, living along with Brother Henry at 41 Rea Street Digbeth.
2) The 20 y-o Stepdaughter of Richard Pearson and his wife Caroline, with 2 sisters and 3 step-siblings at 2 House 17 Court Cecil Street St. Stephen's district.

Take your pick!

The Amy Wassall born 1880/81 was Amy Flora she married in 1902

The only other Amy wassall was born 1886
1901 41 Rea Street,
Thomas Wassall age 50 blacksmith
Sarah age 54
Henry age 17
Amy age 15

Arthur Bickley is a bit more difficult because there are a few possibilities.
The marriage certificate with the fathers anmes would be a help.

HI PMC And David ,
Pmc , Either Way Before Or After St Martins Flats , It Was
That Particular Sectioned Area Was Always Known As Highgate ,
David Did You When You Was Little Or Did YourParents ,Or May be Some Cousins Of Yours Ever Live In And Around Lenox Street ,Aston , Because Your Name Bibbs Ring A Bell With Me Especialy Two Brothers Many Years Ago WhomI Know Lived Down There
And I Believe There Was A Small Painting And Decorating Bussiness Around The Early To Late Fifties By The Name Of Bibbs ?. Best Wishes In Your Research , ASTONIAN ,;;;

hi,dave,in the photo are my brother, from left,john,michael.mullan,john.tarpaley, gary & stephern.brown,chris mason & i took the photo,chris.great pic,s still have some more,to do,all the best.

My brother David Hunt (born in 1952) went to Hunters Hill Open Air School, he gained his Bronze and Silver Duke of Edinburgh's Awards whilst he was there and became School Captain. He now runs the Highwood Public House in Solihull.

Amy Wassall was not born Amy Wassall. She was a mystery to me for quite a few years until the 1891 census was released and I could confirm some details. I will have to dig out what I have on her but from memory her mother was married at least twice, Amy's brother was registered as a Wassall but Amy had the name of her 'father'? I am working from memory here so not promising to be exact on the details. I will dig them out asap.

I joined this forum today having found it quite by chance and come across the original question about Amy and Arthur. I see that the question is quite old but if anyone is still interested I will find and post the information.

Regards. J

Amy Bowyer's birth was registered Sept 1/4 1886 Ref:6d 101 Bham
She married Arthur Bickley August 3rd 1913 at St.Cuthberts Church. He was age 25 batchelor, profession rubber trade, living at 148 Peel Street. No father info. Her details are age 26 spinster, lamp mounter residence 31 Carlisle Street. Father Thomas Wassall, striker

Her brother Henry Wassall was born 24th Feb 1884 at 28 Camden Grove, USD, in sub district of Ladywood. Mother only named as Sarah Bowyer formerly Palmer office cleaner

I have a copy from the library film of the marriage cert. He married Florence Gardner 11th June 1905. He gives his father's name as Thomas Wassall, striker. I know this is the correct Henry as Amy has signed as a witness. I have her signature also on my grandmother's marriage cert.

I have a copy of the marriage cert for Thomas Wassall and Sarah Bowyer. He was 36, batchelor and she was 43, widow. Residence for both Bordesley Street. Her father was showh as George Palmer, Varnish Maker

I cannot be 100% certain that these are mine but they fit? I've only had this info since beginning to do the FT on the internet so not checked at all.
[From FreeBMD Sept 1/4 1866 Marriage of Sarah Palmer and William Bowyer Ref: 6d14 Bham]
[From FreeBMD Dec 1/4 1867 Death of William Bowyer age 25 Ref: 6d 193 Aston]

Timeline is
24th Feb 1884 Henry born (surname on b/c Wassall) to Sarah Bowyer nee Palmer
Sept 1/4 1886 Amy born (birth reg surname Bowyer)
Jun 1/4 1889 Sarah (her mother) m Thomas Wassall

Things get complicated if I have found the correct marriage for Sarah and William and death for William because if it is, Amy must have another father. Henry who was born before her has the surname Wassall and then his mother married to Wassall.

My maternal grandmother on whose marriage cert I first noticed the existence of Amy Wassall has an almost identical birth story to Amy.
My maternal grandmother was Ada Selina Wassall b 1886 to Sarah Ann Maria Wassall. She had a brother Walter born 1884 so the years of birth for Walter and Henry (1884) and Ada and Amy (1886) were the same. A couple of months after my grandmother was born, her mother married William Arthur Tysall and my grandmother married under that name.

I only began to use the internet for family history recently and have concentrated on my husband's side of things. At some point when I am less busy I will try to confirm the details for William Bowyer are correct for my family.

I've now got brain pain. Hope this makes sense and apologies if I have confused too many.

Regards J

Back