• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ATV Aston Studies-"Crossroads"

jennyann

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
I came across this site quite by accident this week. I haven't read the whole thing but what I have read is fascinating and contains much about Aston and everything about the show "Crossroads" from beginning to end. https://www.crossroadsonline.co.uk/

I have a friend who lives in the Vancouver area who was a secretary at ATV Aston Road for part of the l960's and early l970's. I shall have to ask her for some stories from that era because she literally saw "it all". I even went myself when I came home from Canada for visits.
The businesses around the area on Aston Road North at that time relied very much on the people and visiting stars, etc. from the studios The Star pub was where many of them drank and also the Golden Cross on the corner of Rocky Lane. The staff of the Aston Cross branch of Barclay's bank where I worked as a temp in l972, had tales of "people from the studios" coming into the bank. It was quite exciting around Aston Cross in those days in that respect as many TV shows originated there. Lunch Box, Rainbow Room, Tingha and Tucker. News readers Jean Morton and Pat Astley were headquartered there plus several other shows such as the Golden Shot.

I use to scare my mum, when I was a babie, I use to go and wait out side the studio for Tinger & Tucker to come out. So to try and stop me my mum told me they were puppets. It broke my heart but it didnt stop me as I use to wait for any tv stars to come out instead. Did you know the Beatles were at the ATV studios.

THX.
I'D TOTALLY FOGOTTEN THE PUPETTES.... OF COURSE SHE WAS BUT ENDEAVOURING TO PROTECT THEE AT THAT DARK (SMOKE ENCRUSTED EXTERIORS) CROSSROADS BIG INTERESECTION.

DID THE BEATLES ARRIVE BY TAXI OR THE OLDEN HITCHCOCK DAIMLER JOB - OR MAYHAP PRINCESS (Austin). IF BRIAN EPSTEIN WAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT THEN HE WOULD LIKELY HAVE LAID ON A CHARABANC FROM THAT SCOOP ON STRATFORD RD. SPARKBROOK - OR IS IT SPARKHILL? JUST BEYOND BORDESLEY PRIOR TO LADYPOOL LANE, ANTECEDENT OF THE RINK.

(A THOUGHT PROMPT: IT IS NOT A WONDER NOT SO MANY PERSONS WERE INJURED - AS IN ORTHOPAEDIC REQUIRING MAJOR ITEMIZATION - FROM ROLLER AND ICE SKATING? AND AS WELL WHY, IN THIS VAINGLORIOUSNESS ADVENT OF FACILE LITIGATION, WAS IT NOT THAT ONE WOULD WRITE OFF A NON LIABILITY ON TICKETYBOO?
I REMEMBER WHEN one shilling WOULD BUY A QUARTER MILLION POUND BRITISH RAILWAYS PASSENGER INSURANCE BY DEPOSITING ABOUT SIX PENCE PIECE INTO A VENDING MACHINE AT A RAILWAY STATION.
WAS THAT EVER CHALLENGED?

OF COURSE IN THOSE DAYS RAILWAY MISHAPS WERE ALL BUT UNKNOWN.
DELAYS, CERTAINLY, THOUGH NOTHING FANTASTIC.

TO THIS DAY THE SHAREHOLDERS OF RAILWAY COMPANIES ARE COMPENSATED AT THE RATE THEY HELD WHEN SUCH OCCURED. THE LAW IS AD INDEFINITUM.

ANYBODY WHO RECKONS ANYBODY SERVING IN THE CABINET OFFICE WHO CAN SNAP THAT AS A KNEE JERK REACTION RETRACT IS EITHER DAFT OR A PROPAGANDIST.)

BEST

;)
ps
we kept the CND offices along ie: W from ALPHA up the gradient at an almighty busy intersection (is that something like Six Ways?). The diesel fumes were mitigated by us licking stamps, mixing paste to post, fresh printer ink, crisp paper and abundant energy on a shoestring. ;)

Hello,
My Dad started working at ATV when it was first opened, he worked in the "Props" Department and helped with all the sets. I remember him coming home and talking about "Crossroads,The Golden Shot,Lunch Box and other Shows which were then Broadcasted Live.
He was also a Projectionist at the ABC Cinema in Aston and I used to be an "ABC Minor" we all had to sing the song before the main feature began.
He then continued with ATV and eventually became in charge of the Main Preview Theatre in there new location in the City Center.
If I recall it was ABC then ATV then Central, I moved to Florida some 15 years ago and have not been back to my home Town of Birmingham.
My Father name was Barrie Gray I wonder if anyone knew of him and also I have been looking for pictures of the people who used to work behind the scenes at the Alpha Studios in Aston.
I have other stories that he told me of his work in Television, sadly he passed away last week but I will always remember the things he told me and the visitis I had to the Studios and the Cinema.

If anyone has any stories or pictures regarding the development of the Studios in Aston to the present I would love to hear from you, maybe you worked there and knew my father Barrie Gray.
I can be e-mailed at  Michael.

John, thanks for reminding us of that. I would point out that your link is accessible while, sadly, the one jennyann gave isn't. :-\

I can't find that site anywhere, Oisin. I expect that it has been withdrawn. It was an excellent site for the history of the show.

I wasn't a fan of Crossroads, but my mother in law was, so whenever we stayed with her in its early days I would see it. My never to be forgotten memory of it is the wobbly sets, when a door was closed the walls shook. :)

I could'nt avoid it Mom would watch it without fail so I had to see it God Bless her :smitten:

I worked in the Woolworths in the Bull Ring in 1965 or 66 and when going to the staff canteen could see members of the Crossroads actors going to a pub that was up those spiralled stairs. I remember seeing "Miss Diane" as Benny used to call her with others.

During the 70s I went to Birmingham University to see a Fashion Show that was presented by Noel Gordon.

You spoke of the Aston TV studios, do you all remember the pop show Thank Your Lucky Stars being done there? You could get free tickets by post and I went a few times aswell as having an audition to be on the panel of judges. Had I got through I could have said, O'ill giv it five like Janice Nicholls did.

ATV Aston Studios

My mom used to work in the dry cleaners, which was directly opposite the studios, I think it was Sketchley's, she used to tell me about the 'stars' from Crossroads that used to bring their clothes in for dry cleaning. They used to bring tickets in for the staff to go and watch the shows being televised.

Rita (trebor)

I had a friend who auditioned for Crossroads but he didn't get the part because he kept remembering his lines.

pipmk I like that. The acting was pretty awfull wasn't it but we still watched it every week night. All my dad would do was take the Michael out of it and we would constantly be telling him to shush. Jean.

I noticed yesterday that Benny from Crossroads is starring in a play about Tony Hancock at the Alex.

Thanks for the extra info Alf. I must admit I would like to see that play.

I remember having to deliver some air conditioning spares to the chief engineer one saturday morning and he was kind enough to give me the grand tour, very interesting
and yes the crossroads sets were as wobbly as they looked....

Back