• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Pubs

Dave Bath

master brummie
Hi Mossg,
I have a number of pictures of Aston pubs mostly taken from a book called Aston Remembered. Trouble is Dave can't remember..............where the book is!!! Astoness will also have many, especially Hockley.
My dad used to have the occasional drink in the General as he worked a few yards away at C M Powell Bros tube mill for 20 years. His local was the White Hart.

Hi Jack1; There have been references on the forum to Stella's Bar. One quite recently but about location only. The other threads I remember were a few yers ago. I remember it since I used to pass by it on the No.39 bus in the l950's. At night it looked very inviting with warm red lighting. Was it in the Queen's Tavern?

hi stellas bar was on the corner of queens road and park road the lower quees as it was known was at the bottom of queens road the corner of church lane a grocers shop was over the road in church lane was another pub what was it called ??

Hi Jack, welcome to the Forum, I posted memories of Stella's Bar a few years ago, but don't know where to find it now. We used to go regularly to Stella's Bar in the 1950s as my ex husband lived in Queens Road. We thought it quite sphisticated at the time. If anyone offered Stella a drink she would say "I'll have a bob's worth" of gin. Do you remember Albert the barman, he was bald. There were also "free and easys" where people would get up and sing. We had many happy nights there.

Last edited:
Jack,Is this how you remember it.
Moss.

Attachments

• Aston Stellas Continental Bar Park Road.jpg
    Aston Stellas Continental Bar Park Road.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 15
Mossg thanks for posting the photo of the interior of Stella's Bar, Stella was a bit like Annie Walker of the Rovers Return in Coronation Street.

I have been looking for reference to this bar for ages, and found it under Aston Pubs
I bloke i used to work with in the late 60s was always on about the place, some years back i was on a plane going to Tenerife and had a conversation with the guy next to me, he was Stellas son !! he was a very successful business man, and it turned out as well that he new my dad, anyway he told me lots about the bar and the fate of his mom, who was always being fed booze by the barman.
I wished i had have been in the bar, its sounds like it was my type of place . Max

My early years were spent in Alma St. 1/42 just down the street from the Salutation Arms and next door to the off-licence. It was my Grans house and although my name is Powell she was known as Granny Gardner.

Brian
My gt grandfather James Curley was the landlord at the Salutation Alma St until approx 1949. Do you recall him?

Lulu I'm afraid I'm too young to have met your Great Grandfather, I wasn't born until 1950 but, I bet he knew my Grandfather. My Grandfather used to drink in the Sally Arms all the time. Powell by name, he used to have a trick on the dart board, he would bet that he could score x number of bullseyes in a given time, fetching and carrying his own darts. I don't think he ever failed. Your Great Grandfather would know my dad and uncles as well, they all started to drink in the Arms. My dad was Ted Powell and his brothers were Arthur, Harry and Bob, there were others but non-drinkers I believe.

Hi Brian, we've been reminising recently and my dad remembered the dart board at his grandfathers pub (the Sally Alma St) Dads cousin lost his eye aged 7 or 8 when his brother threw a dart which accidently hit him!!!! Must have been around 1950 when you were born. Hope your grandad had a better throw?

I used to catch the number 65 bus home from Birmingham Poly, outside Midlands Dairy and travel down Lichfield Road. I think there were 11 small pubs on this stretch of road, but cannot remember if we included the Armarda, the Brookvale and the Stockland along Slade Road.

A sort of pub crawl we never quite got round to doing.

Hi Moturn: I used to take the same bus for several years. You can find the pubs on that route listed at this site. https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/index.html They appear in alphabetical order for Aston Road North, Lichfield Road and I also remember The Arnada at Salford Bridge, The Brookvale, Slade Road and The Stockland Inn at the top of Streetly Road.

Thanks for that, I was about right thinking there were about we counted about 11. Aston Road North and Lichfield Road just seem very empty now, I often tell my wife about all the pubs, shops and people all now appearing to be sadly gone.

does any one out there remember sheffered rd aston xxx any pictures please

Hi Miggy3,
Shefford Road used to run from thhe junction of Bracebridge Street aand Miller Street to Aston Brook Street. I have a picture of the junction taken from Shefford Road but not of Shefford Road itself. I remember it was a short street. I lived in Bracebridge Street between Miller Street and Aston Road until 1965.

Last edited:
Hi morturn;
just read the back end of the pubs thread and seen your ride on the 65 was that the short heath bus ride
it all dependid on what years you was speaking the three you mentioned may have not been built at the time it may have been the ship
during your time and short heath you would have seen the stocklands if your destination took you that far up to short heath
the ship was the oriniginal pub be fore the name change at the building of spaggety junction then renaned and rebuilt vamp to the ardmarder
but all three pubs mentioned was not on the lichfield rd have your self a great day
born and bred and dragged up at 5/92 lichfield rd aston war years astonian;;;;;

I always thought the Church Tavern was in Aston Hall Rd by Aston Parish church opposite where the Vicarage used to be, I live in Queens Rd in the 40's and again in the 50's and used to frequent the pub with my Dad, its still standing but has been empty for years. Eric

Eric you are right, just asked my wife, she lived in Church Lane. She said down by the Serpantine.

I always thought the Church Tavern was in Aston Hall Rd by Aston Parish church opposite where the Vicarage used to be, I live in Queens Rd in the 40's and again in the 50's and used to frequent the pub with my Dad, its still standing but has been empty for years. Eric

I'm pretty sure we're on crossed wires here but I was responding to the post "There was also the Church Tavern on Lichfield Road which isn't on that website." So, I was referring to Lichfield Road not Aston Hall Road. I agree that the pub I refer to was later listed in Lichfield Road but, historically, it belonged to Waterworks Street. The confusion being that it is on the corner. Old maps show the building fronting Waterworks Street rather than Lichfield Road. I have attached an extract from the 1881 census which shows the enumerator recording the pub in Waterworks Street. Also on this image I have added the actual entry held in the licensing records. Here, the clerk has crossed out Lichfield Road and inserted Waterworks Street. Anyway, whichever pub you're on about I hope you enjoyed many happy beers with your dad. Church-Tavern.jpg

As a footnote: the Church Tavern on the corner of Waterworks Street was demolished.

yes very true indeed and most of us in the trade and local residents used to say and think it was a listed building
but after standing empty for donkeys years they demolished ; so we all proved wrong it was not listed after all guys
there again in the later years with deteriation it was a druggies parardised pub ;prior to that happening it was a great pb always buzzings with great bands and dances evey week end always jammed packed it was waterworks residence because the accom ; side above was in the side of waterworks rd
astonian ;;

Back