• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Furnace

Good on you Lyn,hope it happens.It will be better than the prehistoric stuff,they usually do.The best episode I saw was the one where they dug up soho,it was something we could associate with.Once again,well done Lyn.

thank you both...i first approached the citys archeologist...the reply i received off him was posted on the other aston furnace thread....got a knock back there so tried time team.....one of the local digs they did was years ago...must be at least 12..matthew boultons works...found that most interesting as they dug up the garden and patio of my first boyfriends house in south road hockley..couldnt believe my eyes when i saw him on the screen....:rolleyes:

lyn:):)

Well done Lyn and thanks for keeping us posted. I also enjoyed the Soho episode as well as the pottery works in Stoke on Trent. I am with you Ray I like the more recent stuff........do you remember the one in Coventry where a grave yard had been moved!:rolleyes:

hi everyone thats interested in aston furnace...built by sir thomas holte...

as you know time team did reply to my request for an excavation and i await any news off them regarding a future dig...

but this is most interesting...i have just come accross it..wish it was set out in plain english like i can understand what it means...maybe someone can unravel what exactly this statement does mean...i know what i think but second opinions are always useful...

B..ARCHEOLOGY.

ASTON FURNACE IS A VERY WELL PRESERVED SITE AT THE JUNCTION OF PORCHESTER STREET AND KENSINGTON STREET. IT IS A RARE SURVIVAL OF EARLY INDUSTRY AND IS LOCALLY LISTED WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR SCHEDULING.ANY DEVELOPMENT IN THE AREA SHOULD BE SUBJECT TO ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION UN PPG16 - THIS SHOULD INCLUDE THE SURROUNDING AREA TO ENSURE ANCILLARY BUILDNGS ARE RECORDED WHERE THEY SURVIVE...IT IS LIKELY THAT FLOWING ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION THERE IS LIKELY A REQUIREMENT FOR EXCAVATION FOLLOWED BY POST EXCAVATION ANALYSIS AND PUBLICATION. IN SOME CIRCUMSTANCES EVALUATION MAY LEAD TO A REQUREMENT FOR PRESERVATION IN SITU.....

YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS WILL BE APPRECIATED..

LYN

Last edited:
Lyn

I think basically it means, anybody with an interest with developing this location will first have to fund an archaeological survey of the area. If areas of interest are discovered they would then have to submit plans on how these areas would be preserved.

Don't forget I said "I think".

Phil

Hi Astoness,I think it means that before anything is done,they will assess the site re Archaeological value,initially whilst sitting at a desk!Then they may dig,look at what they find,then decide whether or not to allow redevelopment.(building round what's there or demolishing the lot!)
PPG16 states that Archaeological remains should be seen as a finite, and non renewable resource, in many cases highly fragile and vulnerable to damage and destruction.They can contain irreplaceable information about our past and potential for an increase in our future knowledge.í It is important to manage and conserve this resource for present and future generations by ensuring that they are not needlessly destroyed.
PPG16 is an advice note, and archaeology may be outweighed by other factors considered in the assessment of planning applications according to local needs. The competitive tendering process for archaeological work often means that in field evaluations archaeological work is costed to the minimum required.
Non-scheduled monuments are primarily protected through the planning process, instituted through PPG16 and the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. Planning applications are assessed by SMR and county archaeologists form the perspective of the damage that development may cause to the archaeological environment. PPG16 notes that not all nationally important monuments are scheduled and presumption will be made in favour of their preservation. Recommendations about planning applications that will be accepted are to be found in the Local Plan, set up by the Town and Country Planning Act.

Maybe they'll find something of archaeological interest, photograph it - then tarmac over it! That seems to be what usually happens!

hi phil and ladylinda...pretty much how i saw it...just wanted to be sure they were not planning anything on the old QT:D the powers that be do know my interest in the furnace but lets face it i am sure that i would not be privvy to any of their plans to excavate the site....i am after all just an aston lass with a genuine interest in my local history.....

i will however be keeping a keen eye on things....

thanks very much...

hi ya charlie...:) well as you may have read the furnace is sitting right under a small parkarea/kids playground at the moment and the last i heard from mike hodder the citys archeologist was there were no plans to either redevelope it or excavate it.....but where have we heard that before...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

will keep you informed...

someone can unravel what exactly this statement does mean...i know what i think but second opinions are always useful...[/quote]

B..ARCHEOLOGY.

ASTON FURNACE IS A VERY WELL PRESERVED SITE (it hasn't been damaged by later development on the same ground)AT THE JUNCTION OF PORCHESTER STREET AND KENSINGTON STREET(obvious-location). IT IS A RARE SURVIVAL OF EARLY INDUSTRY AND IS LOCALLY (not nationally) LISTED WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR SCHEDULING (national listing). ANY DEVELOPMENT IN THE AREA SHOULD BE SUBJECT TO ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION UN PPG16 (explained in an earlier post) - THIS SHOULD INCLUDE THE SURROUNDING AREA TO ENSURE ANCILLARY BUILDINGS ARE RECORDED WHERE THEY SURVIVE(anything not directly part of the site, but which was connected with it - i.e. workers dwellings - must have their locations accurately recorded if their remains are not considered necessary to be saved)...IT IS LIKELY THAT FOLLOWING ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION THERE IS LIKELY A REQUIREMENT FOR EXCAVATION (if development is planned any areas to be potentially damaged or lost to archaeologists could be 'dug' under a statutory order, probably delaying development or requiring redesign)FOLLOWED BY POST EXCAVATION ANALYSIS AND PUBLICATION. IN SOME CIRCUMSTANCES EVALUATION MAY LEAD TO A REQUREMENT FOR PRESERVATION IN SITU (any development may be required NOT to damage or disturb any historic part of the site, although it may be covered -'tarmacked over' did you call it? At least the remains are still there for future exploration and examination).

That's how I read it, anyway.

There was a recent development in London where substantial Roman remains were found on the site, and the new office block was redesigned to incorporate the historic area in what is basically an extra basement, where excavation and preservation (in situ!) can be effected.

See https://www.colas.org.uk/context/50jan2002/billingsgate.html for more details on that.

thank you Lloyd...fully understood now..:):) almost 400 years of history and we may never get to see it...bit like locking up a rare painting in a bank vault that never sees the light of day...o well thats life but it dont mean to say im happy with it....ever hopeful though...

thanks for you help...

These sites can teach us a lot,just a shame we won't spend the money we need to learn about it.

Hopefully your Time Team request will come,great to see somebody so interested in local preservation....after your last 'forced entry' pics I'd not be surprised to find you out at night digging the place yourself if nobody else will Lyn.:D
Keep up the good work.

Tim

lol tim..pleeeeese dont tempt me.....

Lyn,I'm just glad I'm not your parents,I can imagine what damage you did with a bucket and spade on the beach while searching for 'historical finds' at Fairbourne beach.And while on the subject did you jump on the mini railway and do the same at Barmouth? :D

Only kidding,just nice to see people being positive about history,we do get a bad press mostly.

thanks tim...i think it was on the beach at rhyl that i came accross my first fossil...i was only 5 years old..:D:D

lyn

hi all
Like most of you I think industrial archeology is more interesting, the only thing about Brum is that there is enough sites to keep Time Team busy for the next 30yrs, if you think of all the inevations and different industrys sited in and around B,ham really since saxon times and the great industrial names associated with the city is staggering.
regards
paul

Back