• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Articles: The Iron Room, Birmingham Libraries. Recent Articles

One wonders why the likes of Boulton, Watt, Murdoch, Priestly and both Brunels were never knighted ( and numerous more). Just thinking out loud. I happen to follow/read frequently about the aforementioned group.
Richard, Sir Marc Isambard Brunel (the father) -- 'On 24 March 1841 Brunel was knighted by the young Queen Victoria. This was at the suggestion of Prince Albert who had shown keen interest in the progress of the [Thames] tunnel.' Wikipedia.

Albert was keenly interested in Engineering, but he died in 1861.

Priestley was a dissenter and supported the French Revolution. I do not think he would have wished to be knighted.

I'm guessing that there was a general prejudice against trade and engineering and the owners of factories by the gentry and those who decided such things. Thomas Telford was the son of a shepherd, raised in poverty and apprenticed as a stone mason at the age of 14. He was buried in Westminster Abbey.
Derek

Richard, Sir Marc Isambard Brunel (the father) -- 'On 24 March 1841 Brunel was knighted by the young Queen Victoria. This was at the suggestion of Prince Albert who had shown keen interest in the progress of the [Thames] tunnel.' Wikipedia.

Albert was keenly interested in Engineering, but he died in 1861.

Priestley was a dissenter and supported the French Revolution. I do not think he would have wished to be knighted.

I'm guessing that there was a general prejudice against trade and engineering and the owners of factories by the gentry and those who decided such things. Thomas Telford was the son of a shepherd, raised in poverty and apprenticed as a stone mason at the age of 14. He was buried in Westminster Abbey.
Derek
Thank you Derek, I stand corrected with Sir Marc Brunel. Regarding Thomas Telford I would certainly add to the list. Priestley was a deserter, however he did discover some pretty breakthroughs in chemistry.
Looking from afar I see that honor being bestowed a far less significant breakthroughs. Sir John Surtees has a nice ring to it :) .
Than’ you again!

Louis Webb, Benjamin Stone and the Grange Erdington and more.

I remember Hardman's stained glass being at Lightwoods House in Bearwood. They made stained glass up to 2008, I think.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardman_&_Co.

Chocolate Boxes.

The section on Kunzles was interesting to me as one of my aunts worked there as a young woman, she used to tie the ribbons round the boxes.

The Number 11 is a number we all remember !

Went to school on the Number 11 bus . I think that more than any other followed by the Numbers 15 / 16 / and 53 . Remember running after the 15 and 16 trying to jump on the platform of the rear of the bus before the one man operated ones came on the scene. No sense of fear back then. The Number 11 could seem to get you to any destination.

Back