• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Articles: The Iron Room, Birmingham Libraries. Recent Articles

One wonders why the likes of Boulton, Watt, Murdoch, Priestly and both Brunels were never knighted ( and numerous more). Just thinking out loud. I happen to follow/read frequently about the aforementioned group.
Richard, Sir Marc Isambard Brunel (the father) -- 'On 24 March 1841 Brunel was knighted by the young Queen Victoria. This was at the suggestion of Prince Albert who had shown keen interest in the progress of the [Thames] tunnel.' Wikipedia.

Albert was keenly interested in Engineering, but he died in 1861.

Priestley was a dissenter and supported the French Revolution. I do not think he would have wished to be knighted.

I'm guessing that there was a general prejudice against trade and engineering and the owners of factories by the gentry and those who decided such things. Thomas Telford was the son of a shepherd, raised in poverty and apprenticed as a stone mason at the age of 14. He was buried in Westminster Abbey.
Derek

Back