• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Art Deco and Art Nouveau buildings of birmingham

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Sean is this the frontage that’s being saved ? Just want to check I’ve got the right place. Viv.

Attachments

• A3D64BDA-6C06-40F0-BA04-567D90AE84DF.jpeg
    A3D64BDA-6C06-40F0-BA04-567D90AE84DF.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 22
That is the frontage yes viv, dont ask me why its being saved, but it is, so its making everything very awkward in terms of demolition, so the whole of that rather large premises is where i will be digging soon looking for treasures

Sean is this the frontage that’s being saved ? Just want to check I’ve got the right place. Viv.
This is a Planning diagram of the area. The facade looks Art Deco so I think that is why it is being preserved.

Attachments

• 5ED4B47C-D2D8-4CBB-9D96-4E75679A2CA7.jpeg
    5ED4B47C-D2D8-4CBB-9D96-4E75679A2CA7.jpeg
    548 KB · Views: 4
Not particularly a fan of art nouveau, at least partly because it was often buil of concrete that did not last very well. Looks nothing special to me

It looks deco to me with its long set of windows on the right-hand side reaching down the building and the window panes across the whole building. Part of the original street level doorway and display window is still in place too. Probably not one of the most attractive buildings, but maybe that was because it was built as a functional building eg warehousing, storage ? On that score I can see why it would be preserved. Speculating here.

Viv

In 1924 when Pedley sold the lease it was advertised as a “desirable premises”. Somehow, I think it’s unlikely to be referring to an old building typical of Digbeth at that time. So I’m guessing the advert refers to the new building ie built before 1924. Just a thought. Viv.

Art Nouveau isn’t Art Deco

From the Tate website

Named after the International Exhibition of Modern Decorative and Industrial Arts held in Paris in 1925, art deco can be seen as successor to and a reaction against art nouveau. Seen in furniture, pottery, textiles, jewellery, glass etc. it was also a notable style of cinema and hotel architecture.
Its chief difference from art nouveau is the influence of cubism which gives art deco design generally a more fragmented, geometric character. However, imagery based on plant forms, and sinuous curves remained in some art deco design, for example that of Clarice Cliff in Britain. Art deco washighly varied in its influences, taking inspiration from ancient Egyptian art, Aztec and other ancient Central American art, as well as from the design of modern ships, trains and motor cars. It also drew on the modern architecture and design of the Bauhaus, and of architects such as Le Corbusier and Mies van de Rohe.

1674575257583.jpeg
Possibly Birmingham’s best example of Art Nouveau, not actually designed by Harry Weedon as many think! Simple geometric shapes

Designed by Cecil Clavering of Harry Weedon and Partners

Last edited:
So Penn are you convinced it’s art nouveau (based on the specific style) ? I realise there’s a slight overlap in terms of dates between the two movements/styles, but can you advise us about a more specific date of the building in your opinion please? Thanks. Viv.

I would certainly be interested to know what aspects of that building are convincing you its Art Nouveau? Defining the difference between art Nouveau and Art Deco can be subjective and lead to a lot of over thinking. But o me that cinema is Art Deco.

I see Art Nouveau as upside down heart shapes, curves, natural forms, plants and flowers. It also tended to be used in everyday objects and smaller structures.

I see Art Deco as quite bold geometric and cubic forms that while it did influence the design of small objects, the architects had a field day with it and so was more commonly seen on large structures.

I have to admit to liking both decorative styles equally.

#138 Digbeth (Avery’s) was designed in 1936 by Samuel Nathaniel Cooke according to the Midlands Pubs site - extract below and annotated with Digbeth building addresses.

This also ties in with a sale of the lease in 1924, which at that time only had 12 years left on the lease, therefore expiring in 1936. That must have been when the old building was demolished and the current building was erected.

I’ve included in the Midlands Pub extract details of the adjoining building too (#137 Digbeth - once the umbrella maker’s premises for interest).

Viv
B91080AC-D9D1-4FB0-9BF2-404405BE1D76.jpeg
Source: https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/digbeth/

S.N. Cooke and partners, architects, were known for their commercial architecture. Andy Foster in his Birmingham Pevsner Architectural Guide also confirms the Avery building date being 1936. Foster specifically mentions the building’s ‘strip windows’. I guess these are the vertical windows which I also guess light a stairwell. There’s a door beneath the strip window - possibly originally a staff entrance ? 7305853F-5DEF-46E7-8289-45E727384900.jpeg
There’s a very similar building (Stanford’s Training) also with a strip window but further down Digbeth on the opposite side of the road. I think however this might be a slightly later building. Viv.

Last edited:
And once the BVSC signs come down we might have some clearer ghost signs. The Phyllis Nicklin 1968 image shows ‘scales’ to the left of the W & T Avery name above the ground floor level shop front.

Viv.

8D140226-4103-4E78-87E2-C3B40BD36D16.jpeg
EBFC9458-1B00-4C3D-83F3-153BA1D307D8.jpeg
Source: Last image extracted from 1968 Phyllis Nicklin image

I would certainly be interested to know what aspects of that building are convincing you its Art Nouveau? Defining the difference between art Nouveau and Art Deco can be subjective and lead to a lot of over thinking. But o me that cinema is Art Deco.

I see Art Nouveau as upside down heart shapes, curves, natural forms, plants and flowers. It also tended to be used in everyday objects and smaller structures.

I see Art Deco as quite bold geometric and cubic forms that while it did influence the design of small objects, the architects had a field day with it and so was more commonly seen on large structures.

I have to admit to liking both decorative styles equally.
This is from Wiki

Art-Deco architecture became popular in the design of cinemas, however, it was not so widespread in other buildings and its use was very limited in Birmingham. In 1933, the new Kent Street Baths, operated by the Birmingham Baths Committee, was completed to a design by Hurley Robinson. This is one of the first non-cinema buildings in Birmingham to feature this style of architecture. Another prominent building exhibiting this style is the former Times Furnishing Company store on the High Street in Birmingham, now a Waterstone's store. The building was completed in 1938 to a design by Burnett and Eprile.[108]

The Bournville Village Trust was set up in 1900 to manage the Bournville estate and public buildings growing around Cadbury's in Bournville.[109] Much of the planning was done by William Alexander Harvey.[110] In addition, the Birmingham-born architect, Town Planner and Secretary of the Birmingham Civic Society, William Haywood, did much to raise the profile of the improvement of Birmingham in the inter-war years.

The reformed pubs started just after 1900 - large 'family' pubs intended to replace the workers' and drinking men's pubs of the previous century. Such pubs included The Black Horse on the Bristol Road in Northfield which was completed in 1929.

—————————————

As I said in a previous post, look at the lines of The Times Furniture building, you won’t find any upside down hearts, curves, plants and flowers on it! What you will see is lots of straight lines as in the Avery building. With the limited footprint of the site the Avery architect was limited in what he could do,especially as there were no corners as are in many Odeon cinemas which have flowing Art Deco curves defining the corners. The more I look at that building, especially with the new picture above showing the curved over window projections, the more I can see how unique it is.

In 1933, the new Kent Street Baths, operated by the Birmingham Baths Committee, was completed to a design by Hurley Robinson. This is one of the first non-cinema buildings in Birmingham to feature this style of architecture. Another prominent building exhibiting this style is the former Times Furnishing Company store on the High Street in Birmingham, now a Waterstone's store. The building was completed in 1938 to a design by Burnett and Eprile.[108]
Surely this must be one of the ugliest buildings ever forced onto Birmingham, though admittedly not as bad as the old "Paradise" Looks like a prison

,Highgate+Kent+St+Baths.jpg

This is from Wiki

Art-Deco architecture became popular in the design of cinemas, however, it was not so widespread in other buildings and its use was very limited in Birmingham. In 1933, the new Kent Street Baths, operated by the Birmingham Baths Committee, was completed to a design by Hurley Robinson. This is one of the first non-cinema buildings in Birmingham to feature this style of architecture. Another prominent building exhibiting this style is the former Times Furnishing Company store on the High Street in Birmingham, now a Waterstone's store. The building was completed in 1938 to a design by Burnett and Eprile.[108]

The Bournville Village Trust was set up in 1900 to manage the Bournville estate and public buildings growing around Cadbury's in Bournville.[109] Much of the planning was done by William Alexander Harvey.[110] In addition, the Birmingham-born architect, Town Planner and Secretary of the Birmingham Civic Society, William Haywood, did much to raise the profile of the improvement of Birmingham in the inter-war years.

The reformed pubs started just after 1900 - large 'family' pubs intended to replace the workers' and drinking men's pubs of the previous century. Such pubs included The Black Horse on the Bristol Road in Northfield which was completed in 1929.

—————————————

As I said in a previous post, look at the lines of The Times Furniture building, you won’t find any upside down hearts, curves, plants and flowers on it! What you will see is lots of straight lines as in the Avery building. With the limited footprint of the site the Avery architect was limited in what he could do,especially as there were no corners as are in many Odeon cinemas which have flowing Art Deco curves defining the corners. The more I look at that building, especially with the new picture above showing the curved over window projections, the more I can see how unique it is.
Am I missing something obvious or misunderstanding the point your making? You said in post #12 “Possibly Birmingham’s best example of Art Nouveau” under a photo of the Sutton Coldfield Odeon. To me, this is a classic art deco building.

My question was what makes you think this is Art Nouveau?

I will add that in my opinion both the Avery building, and the Times building are Art Deco, they both have the classic rule of thirds features.

My earliest experience of an Art Deco building was the Kingston Cinema. It had a wonderful lounge area on the first floor.

another pic of the old times now Waterstones
waterstones1.jpg

the Times Furnishing Company store on the High Street in Birmingham, now a Waterstone's bookstore.fabulous, almost sky scraper-ish Waterstones building, built on the site of what was once the first book shop in Birmingham. What I didn’t know was that the building was once a furniture store, covered in neon lights that lit up a Birmingham that was still full of back to back houses.

Last edited:
Back