• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Art Deco and Art Nouveau buildings of birmingham

waterstones1.jpg

the Times Furnishing Company store on the High Street in Birmingham, now a Waterstone's bookstore.fabulous, almost sky scraper-ish Waterstones building, built on the site of what was once the first book shop in Birmingham. What I didn’t know was that the building was once a furniture store, covered in neon lights that lit up a Birmingham that was still full of back to back houses.
Times Furnishing - I always think of it as the Times Building

This is a Planning diagram of the area. The facade looks Art Deco so I think that is why it is being preserved.
138 and 139 are on the list of Locally Listed Buildings and categorised as grade B. However, so are 135, 136 and 137.

According to the list this means
Grade B: Structures or features that are important in the city wide architectural context or the local street scene, and warrant positive efforts to ensure their preservation.

Info from Birmingham Council website

Last edited:
Back