• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ARMY CYCLE CORPS

harryrages

knowlegable brummie
I have my Grandfather's WW1 medals as well as several photos of him in uniform. He was in the ARMY CYCLE CORPS and served in France.  Does anyone know anything about the CYCLE CORPS please.
Gerald - Scotland

Gerald still waiting for your reply as I have a neat photo of them under fire

Here is a copy of a poster I posted last year. I think the landing is in Belgium, and there are some British and some Canadian boys.

Thanks to all for response and help - much appreciated.
Here is a pic of Gfather with pals. He is on the right demonstrating the official bicycle mounting position.

As son as I get your medal details I will post more details, here are three photos of them in training
in Richmond Park

Yes - I guess this picture of Gfather was taken before they left for France. I don't suppose anybody could have forseen the horror that was to be. So many young men sent by old men to die wastefully.
Both Grandfathers were gassed during that war and suffered for the rest of their lives.

Dear John,

You are sooo clever. thank you for the "change" of photo No 2. I'm sure that  Harryrages appreciates your billiant effort as we all do on the smashing site.

Cheers ,Ann Marie O0 O0

Here is a strange photo I came across which the German Cycle Corps tried out
In 1917 when the German army was running out of rubber they tried other things to put on wheels to keep the war machines rolling, here a photo shows a British Tommie examining a German bicycle fitted with springs on the wheel instead of a tyre and then a steel band on top of the springs (note the missing saddle)
The wheels look in a pretty bad state, I should imagine it never caught on

Greetings all.
I have just joined this marvellous site after finding a reference on Google to the Army Cycle Corps. Yesterday, at a garage sale, I paid the miserable sum of $5.00 for a WW1 Victory Medal awarded to Pte.F.V.Morris Reg. no.5313 from A.CYC.Corps.

I notice the original enquirer was asking for further information on this Corps. I would be grateful if anyone could provide further details.

Also, if this medal has particular significance for any member of this site please let me know.

Thank you.
John Beagle
Canberra

Thank you Colin B. for taking the time to provide the medal card.

If any other member can provide general details on the formation, operation etc. of the Cycle Corps I would be very indebted.

Thank you.
John B. Canberra

Last edited by a moderator:
Cycle corps

Hi JB,
some time in the past,we had some info on the Cycle Corps WW1 on this site,perhaps some one can point you in the right direction, good luck
dennis

I'm another who'd like info on RA Cycle Corps. Father was in East Lancs Reg then ? seconded to CC. Bikes must have been worse tham useless for most of the time... what did they do? Help much appreciated.

Hi all, I been reading the posts on ACC with interest, my Grandfather was in the ACC and I still have his Victory medal. He was Sjt F W Fletcher ACC No 5457, according to his army medal records from National Archives he enlisted in the 19th Divl. Co ACC. He was a brummie born and bred. Despite many hours of searching I have not been able to find any official mention of the 19th divl ACC. Any ideas?

Cheers

Steve

Steve, I share your difficulty in finding more info. My father it seems joined up early on as one of the Accrington Pals then transferred to Army Cycle Corps in 1915 then to East Lancs Regiment. I have an idea about contacting a military historian so if I find a way in I'll let people know.

Hi Iago, well I have had some very small success today, I had presumed my G'father had transfered from the ACC to the Worcs regiment at some stage and been given a new 5 figure number, but today I discovered that the 19th Divl Co ACC was actually part of the Divisional mounted section of the 19th (Western ) Division Worcsester Regiment. they get a one line mention halfway down the page at
https://www.1914-1918.net/19div.htm

So my next stop is the Regimental archives, Worcester.

A thought, is your fathers ACC reg. part of the East Lancs Regiment?

Steve

The ACC was a separate regiment. Neither the Worcesters or East Lancs are likely to have anything on them. The 19th Divisional Cyclist Company was a unit of the ACC.

My Dad was in the Army Cyclist Corps (this is the correct name NOT the Army Cycle Corps) in WW1.
They were mainly used as dispatch riders but some (my Dad included) were trained as snipers. He later transfered into The Rifle Brigade.

Hi Vintage Brummie, my G'Father started army life in the ACC but then appears to have been transfered to 10th Worcs Rgt and his number was changed from 5457 to 42697, I had thought 19th Div Co ACC was part of Worcs but seems I was wrong, he was discharged due to wounds 12.4.18. Unfortunatly his service record did not survive WW2, my mother tells me he lost a leg in 1918 so I was hoping to find him in the Army pension records but have had no luck. Will keep looking. best of luck

steve

Back