• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Area bound by Temple Row Cherry St Corporation St Crooked Lane Bull St

Guilty as charged Shortie. Thought I might get away with it in the quest for Thread probity and poetic license. You lot are far too sharp. Lets see 'em then...

Fascinating pictures, Dennis. I would like to know what that bus is in the top view of picture [3]. "Mr Penfold, are you free?"

It is an unusual looking bus in pic3, well spotted Thylacine.

I find Margaret Tregoring's Flower Shop in pic2 of interest too as it must be the last vestige of the original buildings and as late as the 1970s!

Fascinating pictures, Dennis. I would like to know what that bus is in the top view of picture [3]. "Mr Penfold, are you free?"

Yes I'm free this morning Mr Lucas... Well now, there's this Tasmanian genius bloke and some equally adept cranky Engineer from Bucks who are the real Pistonheads on Buses (I prefer the Brummie Buzzes, note), I'm sure one of them will know it's make, model, tappit resistance nerdula ratio, inside leg measurement etc....go figure, as my Yankee mates oft say. Isn't there a Thread on this sort of thing?

It is an unusual looking bus in pic3, well spotted Thylacine.

I find Margaret Tregonings Flower Shop in pic2 of interest too as it must be the last vestige of the original buildings and as late as the 1970s!

Didn't she move round the corner to Cherry St later? Gone now again though. Love the name. Does Tregoning sound a bit Cornwallian to you?

... tappit resistance nerdula ratio ... Isn't there a Thread on this sort of thing?

"Tappit resistance nerdula ratio" ... mmmmmmmmm! :hoteyes:

"On this Forum there are many Threads ..." :grinsmile:

I just thought it might be easier to invite Lloyd over here. He's very good on shops and streets and stuff. I bet he knows the back of Rackhams very well.

She moved to Cherry Street and later to Cannon Street, on the corner of Fore Street. I think the name is Cornish, Dennis, as are most beginning with 'Tre'. I don't know who Margaret Tregoning was, but I do know the shop was owned by a man, at least when I used to use the shop.

Shortie

Thanks Shortie - I watched the BBC's "Victorian Pharmacy" recently and the dispensary is the real life one! Well done to Dr Ash too!

ALso just corrected my transcription error - it is Tregoring (in case anyone wanted to look up....)

"Tappit resistance nerdula ratio" ... mmmmmmmmm! :hoteyes:
... Lloyd... I bet he knows the back of Rackhams very well.

But of course, in between New St and Snow Hill stations, in my train spotting days...and glad you recognise my degree of Nerdification here.

OK, gents, your mystery bus is one of the 1927 design AEC 507 model chassis with bodies by Short Bros (of Rochester, Kent), Vickers or Buckingham (Bradford St B'ham) bodies. Here's similar bus 254 on the 'long distance' Maypole - City - Erdington (Chester Rd) service, which offered a faster journey at higher fares than the existing tram services.

Thanks Lloyd, most unusual shape.

Dennis - If you could rescan the picture at high resolution to see the reg plate I am sure that it could be checked which of them it was, as well as many other details....

I have looked at the original in the text, and it is completely blurred dotmatrix. I scanned at 300DPI and my shot is much bigger than the original anyway when it displays (1.9Mb jpeg). That's the best it will be in this medium. Sorry, we will have to go to the Library for the original if you want the number. I expect that Lloyd will have it spotted in his Ian Allan book (if he did the bus equivalent to my train one) anyway.

Nice one, Dennis! And a nice shot of your good self (at left, three-piece suit, boldly approaching the "Prototype"). "Never had telly in them days — used to make us own fun".

Sigh. Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs. You wait all day for one, then two turn up at the same time...Don't like yours in front much though Geoffpo...:D

That's lovely Dek, Thanks. The North Western Arcade is still there, not much else https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=52...=WfUjWT7-5YdxJ00rVKKvUw&cbp=12,162.88,,0,3.12

Reminds me wasn't both that and the Great Western Arcade opposite (with the wonderful Druckers) were built on top of the rail tunnel that was sliced through from Snow Hill? Need a rail expert to "fill us in" please.....

I didn't realise but the North Western Arcade was as or more ornate than the Great Western Arcade (from bennyinkwell's flickr site of Birmingham Arcades)

I have looked at the original in the text, and it is completely blurred dotmatrix. I scanned at 300DPI and my shot is much bigger than the original anyway when it displays (1.9Mb jpeg). That's the best it will be in this medium. Sorry, we will have to go to the Library for the original if you want the number. I expect that Lloyd will have it spotted in his Ian Allan book (if he did the bus equivalent to my train one) anyway.

But of course!

Interesting to note that Hardwicke's shop was in the North Western originally, I used to go there in the 1960's but it was by then in the Gt Western Arcade. Fabulous pictures, but it is easy to see how people in the 1950's though that this was not so nice and it was a case of 'bring on the concrete and the plastic'.

Shortie

Another shot of the Arcade with an intriguing inscription about there being plenty of talent here and something about cheese - perhaps we have found it?

(Imagine the headline "Ruritania of Rackhams found in North West Passage"!!!)

As Ken Wolstenholme once famously said " There is now!". Just inside on the left as you go in from Snow Hill entrance, a cheese and bread shop Grommit. How prescient was Charlie then?

Back