• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alum Rock Road

At last wendyP thanks
That was it when I 19 and in the Army I use to visit my Cousin Rose and the girls made so much fuss of me. Didn't want to leave.

Sadly Rose died about 2 years ago.

Do you still live in Suffolk?

Last edited:
Hi Alf,

Yes I live in Felixstowe and have been here since retiring 4 yrs. ago. I notice you too live in Suffolk, whereabouts?

I remember Rose Marie so well and she was always considered a posh ladies hairdressers. My aunt went to her all her life till Rose retired. I also had my hair cut by her when I was young. Fancy Rose only dying a couple of years ago. She must have been quite an age.

I lived in Reginald Road and Rose's shop was further up The Rock nearer to Ralph Road.

Nice to speak about the Rock and wish more people had more memories of it.
wendyP

Hi Wendy just down the Road in Nacton Village? I shop there if I can get a lift which Ido from time to time. Been here 21 years March 8th.

Rose wasn't posh she could mix it with anyone I have a photo of her and her son in the pram I'll post it on the Forum later if I have time well it is Sunday thanks again

Last edited:
Hello Alf, Well fancy you living in Nacton Village. Its lovely there isnt it. We sometimes park at the bottom and walk along the sea shore there. I live in Old Felixstowe near the golf course.

Perhaps we will bump into each other one day.
WendyP

Forgot to say Alf, I would love to see the photo of Rose. I didnt mean she was posh particularly but in the early 50's she was one of the very few hairdressers on The Rock and considered very swish!

Hi Colin B
I am new to the Forum and find it fascinating especially the bits about Alum Rock.
I found your Kellys directory enclosure for Alum Rock Road very interesting. I lived in Reginald Road from my birth 1944 till 68 and remember the lovely shops we had there when I was young. I wonder if you have any Kelly's directories earlier than the one you showed. I would love to see the shops from perhaps 1948 onwards.
WendyP

Hi Chris

Yes I lived on Alum Rock, further down than you tho, opposite the Rock cinema. did you go to Nansen Road School.
Would love to hear your memories of The Rock
WendyP

The link I have with the area you've been swopping memories of is that my Great Uncle and Great Aunt-who were always Gran & Grandad to me lived in Ralph Road-about 1949-1960. Their names were Samuel William Edwards and Florence Mary Edwards. Florence ('Floss') became progressively worse in health during these years but both she and he were quite well known in the area by virtue of the fact that they had kept a number of Birmingham pubs- and were still doing 'relief' work for Mitchells & Butlers.
By the way I have a a great old friend who lives near Soutwold in Suffolk and also a recent College alumnus I met up with runs a bookshop in Beccles-just to mention a couple of Suffolk connections as Suffolk is where one or two of you Forum members live.

Hello

Your great aunt and uncle lived in the next road to me but I didnt know them. Perhaps my parents would have.

Southwold is lovely and is about 50 miles from me. I am in Felixstowe which is a lovely old seaside town. Nice and quiet after Birmingham!
Yes there does seem to be one or two people who have retired down here.
WendyP

Hi Alf
Received your friendship thingy but not sure what I have to do. Have clicked on a few boxes but nothing much has happened.

Did you find out that photo of Rose Marie?
Passed by Nacton Village yesterday on way to Ipswich.
WendyP

WendyP
Are you able to ask your parents if they knew my Great Aunt and Uncle? Or are your parents deceased?
gham

Hi
Sorry but my parents both died in 1980, much too young. There arent many people left their age that would be able to help now.
Good luck and keep trying.
Wendy

Hello again
I have a friend who lived in Ralph Road till the 60's and I asked him if he remembered your aunt and uncle but he said the name didnt ring a bell. He asked what number they lived at.
Wendy

My husband lived at no 14 Ralph Road next but one to the club in the 50's and early 60's.

Hi Wendy

Thanks for that, but I dont recognise the name.

I see you were from Handsworth, so was my husband. I remember when we first met and going up there, what a lovely lot of shops there was. Just like Alum Rock where I am from.

Wendy

I have fond memories of Alum Rock road, I am trying to find a person called Margaret Rainsford who used to live above the Bookies, I think by the Pelhamm, could have been number 900. This would have been in the sixties

Hello

Is Margaret Rainsford her maiden name or married name. I lived on the Rock till I got married and I am wondering what school this girl went to. It may narrow it down a bit - also what age is she?
WendyP

Hello Wendy
Margaret Rainsford was her Maiden name, I will try to find out more,I think it was in the sixties. This enquiry is for a friend here in New Zealand, who would like to get in touch with her, his name is Ken and he would like to know how she is. All I know is she lived over the bookies, I know it's all changed now, but someone may know of her, I think she would be in her sixties now.

Hello again,

I reckon if Margaret lived at the Pelham she would probably have gone to my school, Nansen Road or Saltley Grammar. I left Nansen in 1959 so may well know her.
I am trying to think of the bookies at the Pelham.

I see you lived in Saltley - I did too. What is your name and where did you live?
WendyP

Hello Wendy
It's me Ann, I just realised who you are, We corresponded last year, we both went to Nansen Road School, and knew a lot of the same people. I've had a lot of trouble with my computer, and have just recently had a good friend of mine sort everything out, he is a bit of a computer whiz. Just to let you know my daughter gave birth to a little boy in September 2009 6lbs 9oz called Daniel David. I will try to find out more about Margaret Rainsford, I will go into Friends Reunited too that might give me a lead

Regards Ann King (Myatt)

Back