• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alum Rock Road

chriswilshaw

proper brummie kid
I used to live on Alum Rock Road, near Rockville Road. I was born there in 1946. Lots of memories of playing over the "walls" at Southalls and climbing on the decks when the factory was shut.

Did anyone else live around there

Chris

I used to live on Alum Rock Road, near Rockville Road. I was born there in 1946. Lots of memories of playing over the "walls" at Southalls and climbing on the decks when the factory was shut.

Did anyone else live around there

Chris

Not lived but Aunt Rose Baron Uncle Dick and Cousin Rose ( Who had a Ladies Hairdressers for over 30 years on the Alum Rock Road opposite the Rock Cinema] our family were regular visitors when I was at school. I even stopped weekends and thought it was in the Country the size of their garden in Edmund Road. Aunt & Uncle lived there all there life Rose moved to a road opposite Southalls when she married the road with the Greengrocers on the corner near a Pub.:)

Alum Rock

Alf

I think the road opposite was Brookhill Road with the Brookhill PUb on the corner. It had an "outdoor" where we used to buy pop!

Didn,t live in Alum Rock, just up the road a bit at Duddeston Manor Roas, in the flats, but have good memories of Alum Rock. Especially the Rock Cinema, went there many a time. Regards, Barry.

Alum Rock

Didn,t live in Alum Rock, just up the road a bit at Duddeston Manor Roas, in the flats, but have good memories of Alum Rock. Especially the Rock Cinema, went there many a time. Regards, Barry.

I regularly went to the Rock - also the Capitol which was near the Pelham. Saturday matinees for kids - Flash Gordon, Roy Rogers -

Oh I feel old!

:Aah: ;)

Chris, reading your posts is like listening to my husband, Michael tells me he used to come out of the cinema with his mates, run down the Alum Rock road with his mac bottoned at the neck like a cape, running slapping his bum trying to galop like on horse back............

Found this picture of Anthony Rd school cricket team 1956 in a Alton Douglas book.

Alf,
Was the hairdressers called 'The Beautybox' I had a Saturday job at a hairdressers opposite The Rock cinema, I lived in Reginald Rd and my husband lived in George Arthur Rd.
Rita (trebor)

Last edited:
Alum Rock

Chris, reading your posts is like listening to my husband, Michael tells me he used to come out of the cinema with his mates, run down the Alum Rock road with his mac bottoned at the neck like a cape, running slapping his bum trying to galop like on horse back............

He probably passed me on the way home:rolleyes: :D

Postied, I have just shown Michael the photo and he is sure he recognises some of the lads he left Anthony Road school in 1956. Thanks for posting it.

Alf,
I can't remember the bosses name, it was too long ago, but there was only one hairdressers directly opposite The Rock cinema.
Rita

I don't think it was directy opposite the Rock just further up on the right:)

Alf,
I can't think of another hairdressers on the right, on the corner of Reginald Rd there was an Outdoor then a block of maisonettes then Oldacres then a launderette then Oldacres again then a butchers then Davies the jewellers then Sellers the sweet shop then The Beautybox hairdressers then Lowes the butchers then the Outdoor to the Village Tavern on the corner of George Arthur Rd.

There was a hairdressers above a gift shop a little further up from Reginald Rd. I wonder if it was this one.

I hope my memory doesn't deceive me, as I said it was a long time ago.
Rita (trebor)

Last edited:
Alf,
I can't think of another hairdressers on the right, on the corner of Reginald Rd there was an Outdoor then a block of maisonettes then Oldacres then a launderette then Oldacres again then a butchers then Davies the jewellers then Sellers the sweet shop then The Bandbox hairdressers then Lowes the butchers then the Outdoor to the Village Tavern on the corner of George Arthur Rd.

There was a hairdressers above a gift shop a little further up from Reginald Rd. I wonder if it was this one.

I hope my memory doesn't deceive me, as I said it was a long time ago.
Rita (trebor)

Trebor our JH could fill us in on this one I will ask as he has the kelly's for most areas I'm sure he will do his best:)

Trebor it looks like Colin B has cone to rescue my Cousin was Rose so It must be the one and I am sure it was Rose over the shop but can't remember the Marie

Last edited:
This may be a bit later than you mean,but it might help ,it's taken from Kelly's 1968-69 Directory

Colin

Colin,

Thank you, some of the shops that I knew are on the list, but I left Alum Rock in 1963 when I got married, so a few of them had changed by 1968-69. Thanks again.
Rita (trebor)

Trebor I had a saturday job at the Beauty Box in the late 60's.Can't remember the bosses name but remember a hairdresser with long black hair.There was a shop nextdoor that sold african type food stuff.

Hello Pam1151

I can't remember the names or what anyone looked like at the hairdressers, I think I worked a Saturday job there about 1960, I also worked after school before 1960 at the launderette.

I left Alum Rock when I was married in 1963, I lived in Reginald Rd and my husband Robert lived in George Arthur Rd, if you look at a previous post, Colin B has posted a copy of Kelly's directory naming the shops before and after the hairdressers, it's very interesting, it certainly jogs the memory.

Rita (trebor)

Last edited:
My Cousins Hairdressers was near the Rock but on the opposite side her name Rose and she was a big Girl. Her Mom & Dad lived in Edmund Road with the Co-op on the Corner, she lived in a Road near a few shops & Pub facing Southalls

Thanks for these memories - I lived on the Alum Rock Road just below the Rock cinema opposite George Arthur Road. Does anyone remember the crockery shop owned by Reg Sale. We moved out in 1958 just before they knocked the shops down and built a new block.

Hello,
My husband Robert Jenkins was born in George Arthur Road in 1943 and I lived in Reginald Road, one of the shops we remember near Reg Sale was Marklows newsagents, and opposite, on the corner of George Arthur Rd was Bagley's corner store, we are still friends with Ernie Bagley who lived there with his sister Cynthia.
Regards Rita

Does anyone remember or know a girl named Sylvia Bird from George Arthur Road born c 1945.

Hello Wendy,

My husband and I remember Sylvia, she lived further up the road from my husband, she married Christopher Parton and they had two little boys, unfortunately Chris died with MS at age 28, we don't know what happened to her afterwards.

Regards Rita

Last edited:
Oh Rita, I can't belive it. Sylvia lived at no 62 her husband was Chris Parton I have been searching for him for ages he was a cousin I never knew I had. Can you remember were the boys Graham and Garry. How I would love to find them.

Hello Wendy,

I'm sorry I can't remember the boy's names, it was a long time ago, my sons are 45 and 43, so Sylvia's sons will be about the same ages.

Regards Rita

Hello Rita yes they would be 40 and 43. How I would love to find them. I am so sad to hear Christopher died. My older cousin remembers him well as a small child she will be so sad to hear your news. Anything you can remember would be so helpful. Thanks again Wendy.

Hello

I am new to the Forum but lived in Alum rock till I got married in '68. The hairdressers you are referring to I think is Rose Marie?? We had some lovely shops on The Rock in the 50's.
WendyP

Back