• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Air raid shelters

Thanks Simon and David. It looks to me that there's no door to the shelter and I did wonder if it had been blown in. Let's face it, nowhere was safe in reality and a shelter could only offer limited protection. Viv.
Hi All,
It is true that the anderson shelters only offered limited protection. None would have survived a direct hit. The shelter in the photo was not deep enough in the ground in my opinion. However it looks completely undamaged and I think the occupants would have been safe.
Looking at all the damage, which does appear to be blast damage, I think that that it must have come from an explosion above ground, probably a parachute mine. Incidentally, Viv, the shelters were not provided with doors. It would be interesting to know where this was exactly
Old Boy

Hi All,
It is true that the anderson shelters only offered limited protection. None would have survived a direct hit. The shelter in the photo was not deep enough in the ground in my opinion. However it looks completely undamaged and I think the occupants would have been safe.
Looking at all the damage, which does appear to be blast damage, I think that that it must have come from an explosion above ground, probably a parachute mine. Incidentally, Viv, the shelters were not provided with doors. It would be interesting to know where this was exactly
Old Boy
We had an Anderson shelter in the back yard and l know it was quite deep in the ground, dad made steps for us to get down into it and piled lots of dirt on top and made a rockery garden of it, my mom brother and myself spent many a night in it when the sirens went off.....can still smell the damp and the paraffin heater....that's an odor that will never leave me, l know some of our neighbours used the cellar when the sirens started but dad would have none of that being as all the electric and gas mains were down there said it was a death trap.....maybe he was right being as he was an air raid fire warden and l know he had to dig out people out of their cellars......Brenda

we had the indoor steel table Morrison shelter, I think much preferable, inside the warmth of your house/living room, particularly in the Winter, I have spent the odd night in an Anderson shelter (frozen stiff), also we got caught in a raid whilst in City centre with Mom and finished up in an above ground public shelter, somewhere near Lewis's, wouldn't fancy my chances if that received a direct hit !! Often wonder why some received an Anderson and some a Morrison ? We had a fairly large garden so could have had either. Eric

The Anderson shelter I spent many nights in was half buried in the ground and often had 2 inches of water in it so we had to wear wellington boots and it was cold in the winter.

Bombs did fall beyond the city boundaries - tip and run it was called I believe - but another hazard was shrapnel from the cities defences many of which were out in the sticks.
Mention of Lewis's reminds me of a couple of occasions when an air raid took place on a Saturday daytime and everyone made for the cellars/basements or whatever it was belonging to the store. I guess the Edward Grey also had such an area and maybe many other stores as well.
One instruction I had was to run home as fast as I could when the sirens sounded - yes sirens were in the outlying places as well as in the built up areas. They were quite audible in the country as they were often situated on tall structures.
On a naval airbase, in 1956, an orderly was cleaning an area which contained the warning systems. In his zeal he accidentally set off the air raid sirens causing a great deal of re-action by all and sundry. This was cold war and IRA times of course.

we had the indoor steel table Morrison shelter, I think much preferable, inside the warmth of your house/living room, particularly in the Winter, I have spent the odd night in an Anderson shelter (frozen stiff), also we got caught in a raid whilst in City centre with Mom and finished up in an above ground public shelter, somewhere near Lewis's, wouldn't fancy my chances if that received a direct hit !! Often wonder why some received an Anderson and some a Morrison ? We had a fairly large garden so could have had either. Eric

eric i remember posting that photo of the above ground shelter near the lewis building but i cant find it at the min...soon as i do i will post it here

lyn

I'm sure I remember the air raid sirens being tested in Kingstanding in the late 1950s. Does anyone remember that? Or is it a figment of my imagination?! Viv.

As is the nature of forums we scatter our memories across it and there are some stories of life during the bombing in 29 posts in this thread 'THE WAR FROM A CHILD'S EYES''. Most memories are about the bombing (who could forget them) but I remember as I got older and learnt to read the newspapers etc I had other thoughts.

Last edited:
Hi Lynn
Hope you are well, on the subject of the sirons ,as I recall living between the Three main manufactering
Business,s in Aston as we lived virtually next door to them
I recall as kids in the early fifties all Three factory's ,IE, Ansells brewery,Buttons,Portland street
Facing Ansells, and of course HP Sauce on the Cross, all had these sirons ,what was termed in
Those days was the word, the Bull, for all the factory workers to there Lunch time Breaks
Usually one o'clock break ,either Half an Hour or one hour it all depended on which
Factory it was ,one or the other ,there was a different time for sounding the bull
For its workers to return to work or go home,
The women used to say oh I had better get Albert,s lunch on now that's Button, s bull
As we only lived across the road from the factory ,or in the case of An sells
We would know by to things one is the one o'clock bull,and secondly by an Army
Of men and women charging down from the Aston cross in brown overalls with there
Turbans , and most of all there foot ware they would be warring there cloggs, clattering
Down the Lichfield roads either going to As tons the cake shop ,or Thompsons
To get there meats or what ever they may be cooking when they go home on the night
Some would pour into to watty greens newsagents across the road
When I was a little kid at the age of six years old I was fasicated by seeing all these people
Wearing wooden cloggs but for some reason there was a little old man not much bigger
Than I was and he would stop every lunch time when the bull started he would walk down
With everybody but he always stopped and asked me would I like a bag of biscuits
He would always go into As tons the cake shop next to our terrace
And he would get me a penny bag of broken biscuits as that's it was at them time
People used buy them all day long, and then he asked if I would like a comic
He would buy me the dandy every week, but eventually he never came back
He was a very old man whom worked at Ansells in his brown overalls and cloggs
So yes I can recall the sirons in the fifty,s eventual they all stopped using the bull
But it was HP Sauce was the last factory to use the sirons for its workers
I actually worked at The Button Factory along side my younger brother David whom worked in ware house
Section along with Mr frenchie the fruit and veg shop on the Lichfield road a couple of doors
From Mr Robinson's fruit and veg merchants, he had the larger shop
He covered every think from wild animals hanging up out side and every think you can name
In the fruit and veg lines frenchie son was a very good friend to my brother they used to go at week ends
On his motorbike with a side car and feth the cabbage and other items from the farm for his father
My brother was on the back saddle until he bought his own bike A 125 BSA Bantom
Have a nice day Lynn and keep up with the good hard work you are doing for us all
Best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,

Hi Eric, made a bit of a mess with the quote, never mind eh!
We seem to have had both, got a feeling that the Anderson shelters were out first and that they were free and that when the Morrison came out later you had to pay a nominal 30/-, but am prepared to be corrected.
The night our house in Tillingham St.was badly damaged by a land mine that wiped out a lot of Highgate Rd my Mom and I were in the Morrison and reluctantly joined by her Aunt Louise (she suffered badly from arthritis).
The shelter was buried under rubble but I was the only one that had a small cut on my ear lobe.
Dad was a fireman in the AFS and I think he thought we were better protected with the Morrison shelter.
After the war the Anderson shelter was dug up but was never collected so Dad, like many others erected it above ground for a garden shed.
Cheers Tim

I'm sure I remember the air raid sirens being tested in Kingstanding in the late 1950s. Does anyone remember that? Or is it a figment of my imagination?! Viv.

Post WW2 and the re-organization of fire services in 1947 many small towns - even the perimeter stations of large cities - were manned by retained firefighters (firemen in those days :D). They were summoned, when required, by a siren which sounded the 'all clear' tone. This continues today except firefighters carry pagers and have done so since the 1970's.
This may explain a siren being heard in Kingstanding.
In 1966 I happened to be staying at a relatives in Trentham, Stoke-on-Trent. When putting my eldest son (well the only son at that time) to bed he heard the siren and wondered if I was going to the fire. My relatives did not hear it and were totally unaware on the situation at the local station in Longton which had both wholetime and retained firefighters.

Addendum: the sirens were kept for many years and were tested at least once a week.

Hello Tim, we had just moved to Shirley in 1939 , my Dad worked for Bryant's Builders and we had one of the first completed houses in Cranmore Boulevard. In November 1940 there was a direct hit in an adjacent road (Clinton Road) causing blast damage to our house (we were in our Morrison shelter at the time), we spent the next 3 weeks in a Romany caravan on a farm at Earlswood whilst house made habitable. As a 10 year old thought this a great adventure !! Eric

The best air raid shelter was at Ansells brewery when the sirons went off a majority of people whom never had these shelter within the area of the brewery at Aston cross made there way to An sells
Under ground section where the coopers was making the hoops for the Barralls
Which stretch right along the Lichfield road to upper Portland street it was hundreds of feet below ground level
And bear in mind from the Aston cross exit along the Lichfield road right up to upper Portland street
Was many courts with brew houses which never had these and it on shelters
But also they came from as far along the streets off Aston road north ,park lane, rocky lane
And far as along Lichfield road park street sandy lane Victoria road Parliament street
And any body walking around or passing when the sirons went off and never came up until the all clear signal
The big end of the bomb peck of church lane became a car sales pitch a huge pitch it was
There for years stretching back to the Isleys coal yard
At the bottom of park street and the corner of wainwright street was a big brick air raid shelter
Which as kids we did play in next door there was another section of the factory for Buttons,
The button factory in lower Portland street and there employees would run around
If the sirons weren't off can anybody recall those days
Best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,

Two photos below show badly damaged houses and in the one photo a very badly damaged Anderson shelter.
Steyning Rd Bomb Damage1.jpg
Steyning Rd bomb 1941.jpg
From clues on Google streetview (https://goo.gl/maps/GwQK9jXvfB62) I think the address of the house on the left in both photos is 8 Petworth Grove on the corner with Steyning Road. The badly damaged shelter appears to be in the garden of 53 Steyning Rd and a man appears to be standing in what looks like the bomb crater in the garden of 51.
There is information from various sources that bombers came over at 9.00pm on the night of 11th March 1941 on a very heavy raid across the whole of the city. The Barra website lists that a man living at 8 Petworth Grove died on the 12th March from injuries sustained in the raid.
https://database.birminghamairraids.co.uk/
If above link does not work use http://barra.historynut.co.uk/

Last edited:
we got caught in a raid whilst in City centre with Mom and finished up in an above ground public shelter, somewhere near Lewis's, wouldn't fancy my chances if that received a direct hit !! Eric
Hi Eric -Perhaps this shelter in the Old Square near Lewis's could be the one you finished up in. I seem to remember the pic below appearing on the forum in Dec/Jan but must have been lost in the server power failure.
Presumably the shelter must have had some internal pillars to support that large concrete roof. I think I would have preferred to take my chances in Lewis's basement.
Old Square Air Raid Shelter x.jpg

Another large street shelter in the post below ... click on the thumbnail pic to enlarge ...
quite amazing that this air raid shelter was still around when this pic was taken....albion st/tenby st dated 1992
img906.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting Phil. I think Der Spiegel is enjoying a little joke at the expense of the British! But doubtless we still take the opportunity to poke fun at the German stereotype too. Some good images of Anderson and Morrison shelters. Now off to seek out the German equivalent of domestic shelters. Viv.

Interesting Phil. I think Der Spiegel is enjoying a little joke at the expense of the British! But doubtless we still take the opportunity to poke fun at the German stereotype too. Some good images of Anderson and Morrison shelters. Now off to seek out the German equivalent of domestic shelters. Viv.
It seems like they did not have anything like Anderson shelters. Der Spiegel probably obtained the photos from the website below. There is one interesting photo there of an Anderson shelter being tested ... they were strong.
https://mashable.com/2015/07/24/wwii-backyard-bunkers/#b2tvY30RukqD

Thanks Phil. I expect many of those photos were used to boost morale, some promoting how effective they were against bomb blast, some humorous and some promoting the strength of British morale and resilience (such as the photos of those who'd added lavish decorative touches to their shelters).

Unlike other BHF members I've no idea what it was like to be stuck in a damp, dark shelter for hours on end. But those that had to, obviously gritted their teeth and got up the next day for work as usual. Those of us born after the war were very, very fortunate.

I didn't know shelters were sold for scrap. Was this paid to the householder? I'm sure my dad would have sold his if it was worth anything rather than let in rot in our back garden. And when I saw the photo of the corrugated iron sections coming off the production line they bore little resemblance to the rusting pieces which sat in back garden well into the 1970s ! Viv.

Ah those happy days of long ago, don't know why but we had both an Anderson and a Morrison shelter. Dad was a fireman in the AFS so maybe knew something.
Mom, Aunt Louise and I were in the Morrison the night a landmine was dropped near is in Tillingham St. and wiped out a lot of houses in Highgate Rd . Can't say for sure that it saved our lives but they had to dig us out and we were evacuated.

Vivienne, That was the advantage of the morrisson shelter, being in the house you were warm unlike the draughty cold and damp Anderson shelter, no tramping outside in the dark, just get under the 'table'. Eric

We had the usual Anderson shelter in the back garden at 215 Knowle Road, Sparkhill, but I can't actually remember it being removed, although it certainly was by the time we moved to Kings Heath around 1950. But we didn't use it very often due to the high water table. Inside we were sitting on duck boarding above a two feet depth of stagnant water, so not a very pleasant experience.

There was the usual concrete & brick public shelter standing in front of what was the Springfield Cinema (now a furniture shop I believe) and I can remember us kids standing and watching the demolition of that in the latter half of the 1940s. A crane with a big metal ball continually pounding the concrete held our attention for hours! Now, of course, Élf & Safety would have shuttered it all off and kept us at least 100 yards away, but not then - we just stood on the pavement & watched, fascinated. Dare I say that kids were made of sterner stuff in those days?

Maurice

Paul,

It wasn't just the shelter; it you lifted the floorboards of the ground floor of the house it was the same. Whilst the River Cole was only 100 yards away, its level was a good ten feet below the road. We were probably just over a quarter of a mile from the clay pits at Greet, yet the soil in the garden was quite sandy. There was obviously some sort of drainage problem, so perhaps there was a layer of clay six feet or so below that was preventing the water from draining away. But I'm not a geologist!

Maurice

Ah those happy days of long ago, don't know why but we had both an Anderson and a Morrison shelter. Dad was a fireman in the AFS so maybe knew something.
Mom, Aunt Louise and I were in the Morrison the night a landmine was dropped near is in Tillingham St. and wiped out a lot of houses in Highgate Rd . Can't say for sure that it saved our lives but they had to dig us out and we were evacuated.
How l remember our Anderson that damp smell along with the paraffin heater have never left ...most people in Copely st went down the cellar or had a Morrison shelter, we were a cul-d-sac some houses had back gardens and some did,nt..l remember dad waking my brother and l up wrapping us up in our new eiderdowns and carrying us down the stairs and into the shelter, what an adventure not being old enough to realize the seriousness of the situation...after a while dad would only get us down when he heard the guns going off as there were quite a few false alarms of sirens going off....when the bombing got real bad we were evacuated with our grandparents to Dorsington...B renda

Hi brenda
When I was growing up in lichfield road Aston up a terrace called cromwell in fact i think on
The old regisger of electroll in those days they called it cromwell square
But never nor less there was twenty house up ours terrace and along the lichfield road there was more terraces
And heading from aston cross there was lots of courts and surrounding streets from far and apart
Never had these air raid shelters that you had and like the ones in the picture
We went one better because we was next to Ansells brewery they had very deep under ground
Workings which held reds of people it was very cold down there under ground
And when the sirens went off people made there way into the under ground of ansells brewery
And they also took the injured down there as well until the all clear siren went off
Even after the war years they still used there siren for the workers at ansells to say its Lunch time
And even at five oclock end of the day to go home
On Lichfield road if you had no clock in the house you would know what time of day it was
Becasuse there was three factorys with there sirons telling the work force its time to go home
They used to go off at slightly different times
I was often fascinatedby the ansells siron they used to call them bulls at mid day bull
Would go off and thefe would be an army lf people charging along the road
All with brown overalls on and the clattering and banging on the pavement as they was all wearing
Wooden cloggs men and women, men dashing for dinner and getting there fags and etc
And the women dashing to the bread shop and tnompsons for there meats
Best wishes Alan,,Astonian,,,,,

Back