• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A.T.V. at Aston Cross

I also attended a 'Golden Shot Show' hence the nom de plume:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my ticket to The Golden Shot in 1971.............strange what some people keep.lol

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first saw your 'nom de plume' Bernie, I wondered ..... I used to go out with John B, who was Bernie the Bolt on the Golden Shot. I nearly sent you an IM but after reading your posts I realised you weren't him

Pete. So you have mixed with the stars well you have to do better than that to get your name on Broad Street,
Did Neol Gordon live in the penthouse suite in town and was it shortly before she finished in crossroads ?

GER22VAN.hello ernie.i saw her walking along handsworth wood rd.stars.
stars phew.not a lot of people knew this,but do now.to get a few bob i got a job as a hotel porter in the royal angus hotel in town.I had to wear a maroon suit with a yellow stripe down the leg,:redface:there i met jimmy savill.he give me 2bob and a cigar for taking his stuff to his room,jerry dorsy aka engleburt,and many more nice folks from the atv aston.the food was all free loads of it pete

Pete. In all my years I have only saw the Queen pass by in a car to open Aston University in Gosta Green, Prince Charles I walked in front of him outside the hotel at Whitby ( Forgot the name but he was staying there at the time I believe ) Also Peter Snow sat in front of us at the Theatre Royal in Drury Lane. View attachment 13113

I used to go to the ATV studios in Aston Road North every Sunday with my friend. If we hadn't any tickets the commisonaire would still let us in. I used to stand for hours waiting to see the stars and autograph hunting. I've seen most of the popstars from the sixties. I remember Herman's Hermits always used to leave from the main front entrance while the fans were waiting at the stage door. The same people used to turn up every week so we made some good friends. My mom used to worry herself silly because I had to travel on two buses and she didn't think it was ladylike to hang around for autographs, but I was completely hooked.

I went on a tour there once as well. It was weird to see the sets for Crossroads, and where the local news came from. But very interesting. Barry.

Crossroads was drivel, but I wonder how many of you lot know that Arthur Conan-Doyle lived for a time in a house on the site of the ATV studios? And who can name the Sherlock Holmes story set in Birmingham, hmm?

Big Gee

When i worked for local Taxi firm (z cars) in 1967 we used to pick up many celebs from the ATV studios. One of the nicest being Roy Wood from Wizard.

When i worked for local Taxi firm (z cars) in 1967 we used to pick up many celebs from the ATV studios. One of the nicest being Roy Wood from Wizard.

My wife saw Roy at the Jam House earlier this year - she said he's as good if not better than he was the last time she saw him in about 1968, and he's still a very nice guy according to what she said. She went around singing "See My Baby Jive" for about 2 months afterwards...

Big Gee

Big Gee are you sure about Arthur Canon Doyle living in a house on the site of the ATV Studios, I always thought it was further up Aston Road towards town. For many years the site of the studios was the Astoria a cinema in my time, but before that it was a theatre.

i am sure it was there i went with my mom to see bill hayley and the comets.before it was a.t v

pete

HI Big GEE
As I Lived Very Closely To The Studios ,Virtualy About 400 Yards To It
And My Grand Parents Shops Was Across And Next To It And My Freinds Lived On
The Same Block In Holland Rd I Think You Have Got Abit Confused Regarding Arther Conlan Living In The Studios Sylvia Is Correct When Saying He Lived Further Down The Rd ,I,m Sorry To Say And AlsoIs Correct In Saying It Was The ASTORIA Picture House Prior To That ,Maunty Maud Worked There For Years In The Box Office
She Lived In White House Street And I Went To St Mary School Where We Used To Hve Cups Of Coco In The Morning And Then We Would Have The Little Bottles Of Milk In The Afternoon My Nan And Aunty MaudLived In The Terrace Behind The School Play Ground I Used To Climb Over The Wall To Go And Come Home From School
When I Was Staying At My Nans House Whilst My Mother Was In Hospital Having A Baby I Was Always OutSide The Studios When Not At School But Getting Back On Track There Was Not A House Inside The Studios , Sorry ,
Have A NiceDay Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;[[

Arthur.C.Doyle lived were Startins Garage was just up from the studios passed the post office.There was a plaque on the left in the passage way to the back of Startins.

THANK YOU BARRON ,

And That Was On Virtual The Same Block ,SAME Side Of The Road
Post Office Next Door CROSS Over To The Show room And That Road On The Block Is Holland Rd ,Where The Studio Car Park Is For The Staff ,
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Hello i worked for Harrison & fowler office equipment and we supplied The studios with typewriters ectI saw Pete Murry in a show Hit the Limit also saw Lunch Box with Noel Gordon and the Jerry Allen Trio also saw there Marion Ryan Matt Munrow , funny live in Margate now and Jerry Allen lived down here Bobby b

Yes the A T V studios were once the Astoria cinema saw many a good film there BB

Around 1959-60 i was a member of the "Art Club" at Spon Lane school in West Bromwich, as a treat we were taken to see Lunchbox with the intention of sketching scenes when we got back to school, we were instructed by our teacher "Not to look at the camera if they are by you and if anyone waves they will be punished when we return to school" needless to say thats exactly what we did, about 15 kids all waving franticly at the camera, :D we all had detention for a week or so.
The names i remember are Gerry Allen, Noel Gorden, Diana Cumperland or Cumberland, aaah happy days, by the way when i submitted my sketches they were recieved by the arts master as "Rubbish"

Chucka

I rememebr going to see "Thank your lucky stars" there, I think Susan Maughan was on the show, with Helen Shaphiro. Didn't that show have the "I'll give it five" girl on it? What was her name?

Janice Nichols!....Sorry, it was driving me nuts, so I googled it. lol

My sister worked at the studios as a secretary in the 1960. I remember her saying that Noel Gordon was not well liked. In 1968 I met her in the Lake District at a Hereford Diocese Youth Camp. She had donated a large sum of money to renovate the farmhouse. She was pleasant and chatty. The last time I met Noel was when she lived at Ross on Wye. I was in the Police driving the night car on the M50. Twice in one week she thought she heard someone around the house. Her being a "celebrity" we all used to roll up. Again she was pleasant enough, actually recognized me from our previous meeting.

Last edited:
I rememebr going to see "Thank your lucky stars" there, I think Susan Maughan was on the show, with Helen Shaphiro. Didn't that show have the "I'll give it five" girl on it? What was her name?

Janice Nicholls. She appeared on David Jacobs' TV show, "Juke Box Jury" where the slogan came from.:)

Back