• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1st Aeroplane Flight

Not at all Froth, I realized that it was only an illustration of a Viscount but seeing your photo shows G-AZNA was at one time in BMA livery so I'm sure that it must have flown in and out of Elmdon at some time.

Graham.
Phew! that's good:)

Elmdon to Belfast 1959/1960`s? on a Dakota DC3 similar to this one, when you boarded you had to climb the slope to your seat it seemed like climbing a mountain!, the plane had plaque naming the Dakota R.J.Mitchell, Spitfire Designer. Len.

Still on about aviation,
I often listen to Airband being not too far from BHX and its interesting to hear the Pilots getting the heavy lumps of metal up and down and Air Traffic Control making sure they don't bump into each other.
You hear professionals politely and efficiently doing their jobs, taking no risks, and weather permitting, it all runs smoothly most of the time.
I hear many lady pilots and wonder about all the possible extra hoops they probably had to jump through to get such a job. I don't know how many of them make it to the left hand (Captain's) seat. One amusing thing on the Pilot's aviation forums, is that they call us passengers 'Self Loading Freight'

Oh! the memories of my first flight...in June 1958 l reluctantley left Elmdon (l say that because l did.nt want to leave Brum):cry: on a DC3 beginning my 1st flight to a new life...l was to scared to look out the window...l arrived at Glasgow then was whisked off in a taxi to Prestwick as the BOAC plane was waiting on me (could you see the airlines doing that to-day)...l think it was a constellation...well we took off at night and l could see the engines on the wings just a flaring l just knew we were going to crash....we finally arrived at Idelwide... what a culture shock...then l had to get a plane down to Texas arriving at Love Field Dallas in late afternoon...Ron was.nt there to met me l did.nt know if l had got off at the right airport as l could,nt understand what was being said to me and those texans could,nt understand me....some still have a problem must be that brummy accent....can'nt say l like flying but it is the best way to get from AtoB....Ron has been flying for over 30years and has had numerouse small planes but l,ve only been up in two, l,ve never had the flying bug l prefer to keep my feet on the ground...times really have changed l have a photo of mom and dad when they first flew out to Texas they were dressed really posh looked like they were going to a wedding instead of flying to the US.....Brenda

Hi, my first flight (fright) took place when I was in the school combjned cadet force. This would have been about 1957, and took place from RAF Cosford. I remember we had to have note from our parents absolving the school or RAF from any responsibility for injury or even death! The aircraft was a DeHavilland Chipmunk ,a two-seat trainer, and I think the aim the pilots was to see who could produce the most frightened youngster.They used to do what to us was a fantastic aerobatic routine,which when I think back,was only a stall turn and a loop.Heady stuff to us though, Mal.

Hello ALL, just picked up on this thread about first aeroplane flights. I used to live at the "Beehive" on Soho Hill, Handsworth as has been mentioned in another thread about the pub. In the early 1950`s there were regular Sunday Morning excursions, usually coach trips to various places and I do particularly remember that one trip was an aeroplane flight from Elmdon airport. Attached is a photo of one half of the party just before boarding the plane which was a Dragon Rapide from the Don Everall company with a number of AJWI. I cannot read the first letter but would assume it was G. You can just see part of the name of the company on the body of the aircraft and it looks as though, from the phone number they were then based in Erdington. I am the taller of the two boys in the navy blue overcoat. Sadly I don`t remember much about the actual flight except for being a little apprehensive. Allanbrum

Hi allanbrum,I assume that the aircraft in the picture is the one you are describing as your first flight, unfortunately your memory is playing is playing tricks (I know the feeling) as the picture is definitely not a Dragon Rapide, the Rapide being a twin-engined biplane. The aircraft shown is unfamiliar to me, but it looks similar to a Short Skyvan,a twin-engined high-wing cargo and passenger aircraft, but I wouldn't bet money on it! I'm not sure they were around in the early '50's,but no doubt the identity will soon be sorted. Any guesses ? regards, Mal.

Hello MALLBY2, I was told that it was a "Dragon Rapide" and not being in any way aeroplane minded have keep that name in my memory ever since. If that is not the plane I have no idea what it may be. Allanbrum

Hi,
The aircraft in the left hand pic in the first post in this thread is a DH Rapide.
See it here
oldmohawk

Last edited:
Hi, Allanbrum,
The aircraft you are standing by is a Miles Aerovan. You can tell I'm an aviation 'nut', but I did cheat slightly on this by entering it's reg G AJWI in Google and up it came. Nice twin blade props and everyone properly dressed for the flight !
:)

Hi all,yes of course it is a Miles aircraft. I should have known that by the underslung flaps ( I think they're known as Fowler flaps ) as fitted to other Miles aircraft such as the Gemini and the Messenger. I don't think there were many Aerovans built though, has anybody any idea? cheers, Mal.

My first flight was on a Vickers Viscount, at least it had propellors to make you feel safe!
My last was on this actual Boeing 757 a year after this happened to it - glad I wasn't on this flight!
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhZwsYtNDE"]YouTube - ThomsonFly 757 bird strike & flames captured on video[/ame]

My first flight was from Gatwick to RAF Wildenrath, Germany 1966 in a Bristol Brittania. As you say, propellers give you that safe feeling. My last flight was Bordeaux to Gatwick in a Bombardier Turbo Prop three years ago.Air travel is out with my mrs illness now. My favourites were the Fokker F27 Friendship that flew my late wife and I from Birmingham to Jersey for years. No Skywalks or stairs to climb, just walk in it was that low. Birmingham Midland Airways? One of the propeller heads will no doubt know.

Sorry about this rash of posts from us aviation nuts.
I used to work for GKN, and in the 80's they were rich enough (or daft enough) to have a small fleet of planes at Elmdom old terminal. I once flew in a Kingair twin prop to Sweden, and it was quite interesting discussing the route and weather with the uniformed pilot before we boarded.
It was -26 degrees in Sweden when we landed. Looking in the aircraft log (being nosey) I noticed quite a few flights to Jersey and I'm sure GKN didn't have a factory there.
In 1948 I once watched a low level race between 3 fighter jets at an Elmdon air show (account posted in the Castle Bromwich bit on the forum). Also I saw an American Sabre Jet break the sound barrier over the Chester Road going towards the city centre.
How things have changed

oldmohawk[/quote

I was at that Air show at CB when he went through the barrier.

Also I saw an American Sabre Jet break the sound barrier over the Chester Road going towards the city centre.
How things have changed

Last week here we were treated to a free air show! A passenger plane had lost all radio contact over Belgium and two F16 were scrambled from Kleine Brughel to intercept. They both flew full tilt over our village and the double sonic shock waves were tremendous causing quite a bit of damage; lovely stuff!

Graham.

I was at that Air show at CB when he went through the barrier.

Yes a nice sonic bang with a USA Sabre Jet doing nearly 700mph over Brum, we will never see that again - it would certainly make the speed cameras of today light up. I also seem to remember a Lancaster Bomber taking off with rocket assistance, just about making it over Chester Rd.
Regarding the Thompson bird strike video - a nice professional job by those 757 drivers and the Manch ATC.
As typing this just caught Cadeu's post, seems like they still have fun in Belgium !!

I don't know how many times a Sabre broke the sound barrier at Castle Bromwich but I was there when one did it. It was in a dive of course and it was an overcast day and the tower asked him to do it. He dove down from a good height and we all heard the bang but could not see the plane. Then he broke through the cloud as he levelled off above us and tore off towards Tamworth in a streak of black smoke. I think that one was a US plane although the latest Sabres were also used by the RAF.

Hi, Rupert,
I was standing to the north of the field looking across towards the BIF buildings, and a far as I remember he started his dive over open countryside to the east and we heard a double bang. He might have come back over the field going east. They use do do anything in those days, but it was a long long time ago. The nearest thing I've heard to a sonic bang since then, is when I was on holiday at Woolacombe and Concord came in over the coast with a very slight boom as it slowed down.
icon7.gif

If G-AJWI was destroyed in Israel jun17 1948 how come our member Allenbrum was on it in 1950 at Elmdon. Would the number not have been voided or could the same number have been used again on another machine. Could the flight at Elmdon been a couple of years earlier. Maybe the aicraft was not destroyed and was shipped back to the uk and refurbished.

I was in the ATC (air training corp) 14 years old on a fortnights camp at RAF Valley, Anglesey and my first flight was in a Tiger Moth completely open to the elements, only a 30 min flight but I was frozen stiff when we landed, even though they had stuffed me into an oversize flying suit, still I loved flying and spent 8 years in the RAF as a wireless operator in Lancasters, sunderlands and similar a/c. Happy days

I was in the ATC (airtraining cadets) and spent a fortnights camp at RAF Anglesy and my first flight was in a Tiger Moth completely open to the elements and although the flight was only 30 minutes I was frozen stiff when we landed even though they had stuffed me into a flying suit, But I enjoyed itso much I finished up 8 years in the RAF as a wireless operator flying in Lancasters , Sunderlands and similar a/c. Happy days

Hi Allambrum and Rupert

Re: Aerovan Saga - Miles M.57 Aerovan G-AJWI was operated by Lees-Hill Aviation
on passenger and pleasure flights from Elmdon. They aquired the aircraft in June 1947
but sold it the following year in June (1948). It went to Israel and was never returned to the British register.
The double "LL" in the photo refers to the name Lees-Hill not Don Everall.
Hope this does not come as a too much of a shock and your actually older than you thought .

Hi, Rupert,
I was standing to the north of the field looking across towards the BIF buildings, and a far as I remember he started his dive over open countryside to the east and we heard a double bang. He might have come back over the field going east. They use do do anything in those days, but it was a long long time ago. The nearest thing I've heard to a sonic bang since then, is when I was on holiday at Woolacombe and Concord came in over the coast with a very slight boom as it slowed down.
icon7.gif

I went to an airshow at Gaydon possibly '58.
At that time there were Avro Vulcans stationed there.
Through the course the afternoon the spectators were told that the 4 Vulcans parked just off the runway were Britain's nuclear response to any threat from 'an enemy'.
As the afternoon wore on we were told by intermittent announcements that the international situation was deteriorating and the Vulcans were being brought up to readiness, culminating with the announcement that the crews were now eating and sleeping in their aircraft and their engines were running, remember we only had 4 minutes warning of a nuclear strike, which we all knew could only mean from Russia.
From the control tower a green flare was fired.......the Vulcan's all had there own short concrete strips in a line at right angles to the runway.
The first Vulcan was off the blocks [so to speak] and taxied towards the runway. The pilot cut the turn onto the runway to fine and the undercarriage wheels on the starboard side ran off the concrete and onto the grass.
The Vulcan slewed right round came to a halt blocking the whole runway to prevent the other 3 Vulcans from taking off.
Must have been a few red faces.

Being flying fanatics, we hung around as long as possible to see aircraft from other bases, take off.
A USAF Super Sabre ambled down the runway took off slowly climbing to the west and was soon forgotten as we watched another aircraft line up and prepare to roll down the runway.
Suddenly behind us, the Super Sabre came screaming back, 50 feet off the ground, it was over our heads before we heard this tearing sound of it's engines. As it bisected the runway the pilot pulled back the stick and it climbed vertically [I think with some reheat] it's wings rotating in an anti-clockwise direction.
Unforgettable.

ladywood

I went to one of the Gaydon shows at about that time, ladywood, either 1958 or a year earlier or later. At that time they had a number of Victors there as well. I have a picture of them somewhere.

When you stand under these machines these days at Cosford they are still mighty impressive (and make one wonder how we as a country managed to build not one of the monsters but three including the Valiant). But 50 years ago they were like things out of another world. I had only been out of the RAF for a couple of years and in my time Lincolns and Hastings had been the norm as far as larger aircraft were concerned.

Chris

Last edited:
It seems strange back then that we lived with the threat of '4 mins warning' of imminent nuclear destruction from 'Big Ivan'. At least we knew who the 'enemy' was! We had a fulltime civil defence instructor at our works lecturing us on how to survive the nuclear attack. The one time I got slightly worried was when JFK made his speech saying if the Russian ships on the way to Cuba did not turn round, the the USA would stop them. Few nervous discussions next day at work about what we would do in our last hours. With regard to the Vulcans or 'Tin Triangles' as the other V bomber pilots called them, I like to read the thread on the PPrune forum where Vulcan ex-pilots discussing their experiences from those times. I recently went in the Vulcan cockpit at Cosford and immediately recognised the 'smell' of the inside of a military aircraft from my days of RAF National Service.
oldmohawk

My first flight was in 1947 from Northolt, London to the USA on an American Airways airliner of some sort. I was too young to remember it other than it was at night when we took off and we landed at Shannon before the Atlantic crossing during which, apparently, I slept peacefully whilst all those around me were being airsick! My Mum said we landed in torrential rain at Newfoundland before we got to the States where we landed at New York. I think Shannon and Newfoundland might have been refuel stops. My well known interest in buses goes back that far because I do remember riding in a BOAC one and a half decker coach from central London out to Northolt to catch the plane. Do any of you aviation experts know what type of transatlantic airliners were in use with American Airlines back in 1947 please?

Talking about first flights,this was apparently the first airliner to land at Elmdom airport,in may 1939. It is a D.H. Dragon Rapide,but does anybody know where it arrived from,or where it went after it left Elmdon?
Better still,does anybody remember it?......Mal.

Back