• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

    We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

  1. A Sparks

    Sutton Coldfield

    Just seen this posted on FB by Birmingham Archives re Sutton Coldfield Library ... An update on the #SuttonColdfield archive transferred from Sutton library to here in Summer 2025. All the archive is here and our Archivist is making good progress in assessing documents and updating catalogues.
  2. A Sparks

    RIP ALBERTA

    Very sorry to hear that news :( My condolences to her family and friends. RIP Alberta
  3. A Sparks

    Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

    Not a very kind description of Brum ;)!
  4. A Sparks

    Birmingham City Hospital officially closed Nov 2024

    I thought those rooms with the wooden panels were great too! I hope the oak will be reused in other ways, I imagine it's worth some money.
  5. A Sparks

    Golden Lion Cannon Hill

    A bit more about the Golden Lion this morning.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crq5xvn74381o
  6. A Sparks

    cluedo

    A new collectable Cluedo 50p coin has been minted... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckx2zdj4166yo
  7. A Sparks

    proposals for rackhams

    An article from the BBC Birmingham website this morning... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckjw5xn34edpo
  8. A Sparks

    Moseley Road Baths

    An article from the BBC Birmingham website this morning.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cm9862l9kzngo
  9. A Sparks

    Birmingham Funded Lifeboats - James Pearce - Caister

    Interesting article, so it's still a mystery of most of the life of James Stevens!
  10. A Sparks

    The Ice Cream Man

    I visited the London Canal Museum at the back of King's Cross Station this week for Heritage week which was interesting. The building is next to a canal Wharf and was originally for ice storage, the ice was shipped over from Scandinavia and stored in a large basement area. There was a display...
  11. A Sparks

    Paul Simon Birmingham 1965

    The Jug of Punch folk club was in a back room of Digbeth Civic Hall during the late 60s. Post #12 on this thread on the Forum mentions Paul Simon playing there but no details. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/threads/digbeth-institute-civic-hall.29258/
  12. A Sparks

    Its pjmburns (janice) Birthday

    Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day :party:
  13. A Sparks

    forgotten memories of the 1960s

    I liked the milk actually, I often helped myself to a second bottle at lunchtime if there were still some in the crates by the hallway downstairs!
  14. A Sparks

    forgotten memories of the 1960s

    No, I don't remember any milk bottles with cardboard tops from my school days.
  15. A Sparks

    Hockley Hill

    Seen this morning in the Birmingham BBC website, I wasn't quite sure where to post this! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c7v4z57qg7no
  16. A Sparks

    shops of the 60s and 70s

    Yes, very interesting, many things I didn't know!
  17. A Sparks

    Coach and Horses 30 Snow Hill

    Kay Westworths was a shop that sold musical instruments, I think there were a few branches, one in Cannon Street.
  18. A Sparks

    Ropemaking in Handsworth 1820s

    I know of a couple of recreation grounds/little park areas near churches in my London Borough where the graves have been left intact under the grass and the grave stones have been moved to stand against walls around the perimeter quite a long time ago.
  19. A Sparks

    St Paul's Square Hockley

    Fleetwood Mac, the original band with Peter Green, certainly played in the area at Le Metro club in Livery Street back in the 60s, my friend and I saw them there at the Blues night they had mid week.
  20. A Sparks

    Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Tech School

    Interesting! Margaret was in the same year as me. I knew she was a Birchfield Harrier. Some of us met up for a meal in Sutton Coldfield back in the 70s and Margaret had us in stitches telling us how she had, by chance, met up with Mrs Cockbain (in a GP surgery I think it was) and Mrs C invited...
Back
Top