• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brearley Street Newtown.

You're not being dim at all, it's complicated, I was confused too, that's why I thought I should clarify where Court 29 was in 1891. The courts marked in red were the numbers used prior to renumbering the street which must have happened before 1889 (the map date).
Originally the house numbers were sequential starting on the north side of Brearley Street at Newtown Row, the court numbers were also sequential.
They then changed and used odd numbers on the north side and even numbers on the south side, they also changed the court numbering to match i.e. 1, 3, 5 etc. north side and 2, 4, 6 etc. south side.

I don't know if you've used this website for maps, it's very useful but a bit difficult to get to grips with.

To add to this, which might seem a bit strange , and was not followed in most other streets that renumbered. In his case, which was between the Kellys of 1883 and 1884, Brearley St and Brearley St West (which were before separate), were combined, and otherwise there might have been duplicate court numbers in the same street

What a lovely c1920s photo on Brearley Street ! All smiling for the camera (well almost all), the mangle under the cover, the two little ones giving it their best pose, the girl clutching something precious, Mum looks to be holding something too. Maybe they've just returned from the local shop ? Looks like a spur of the moment photo.

Screenshot_20240915_094919_Chrome.jpg

one of my favourite photos viv...from memory i think the lady could be from the settlement or some other organisation ie the welfare or provvy but i could be wrong...think its already been posted under the larger thread for brearley st which is here..this thread is maps and mapping

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn. Shall merge the two threads. Yes it's already been posted in #160. This is a better copy, so shall leave it in my post.

Last edited:
What a lovely c1920s photo on Brearley Street ! All smiling for the camera (well almost all), the mangle under the cover, the two little ones giving it their best pose, the girl clutching something precious, Mum looks to be holding something too. Maybe they've just returned from the local shop ? Looks like a spur of the moment photo.

View attachment 195163
What a great photo. My Gran lived there in the early 1920s with her 4 children at number 138 just after she’d been widowed at the age of 29 She’d been born there too at number 10 Court 3.

coronation day celebrations outside the rose and crown corner of brearley st and hospital street..
ive been waiting for ages in the hope someone may recognise anyone in this picture..

celebratingqueencorroseandcrownbrearelyst.jpg
The lady to the far right looks so like my great grandmother Rosannah Ratchford married name Gibbons ,

Back