• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1950's Erdington

That was true luxury and beyond my budget back then, they will be back on the shelves for Christmas though and they are a tasty little treat. :)

View attachment 195212
That them. We would have a whip round and share them between us. Sophisticated treats or sophisticated cinema goers, us like a pack if wild dogs fighting over who had one more matchmaker.

Just wondering who made them?

According to Wikipedia they were introduced in 1968 by Rowntree and were about 1/3 their present size (ie match length).
Now owned by Nestle.
Now sold by Nestle using the Quality Street brand name that they bought in 1988. It seems that all the chocolate is either manufactured or owned by a company outside the UK now.

1726993318698.png

The Palace Cinima was quite interesting. The foyer was very long and bent to the right. Someone told me that this was when it was a very small village theatre. The cinema auditorium was a later addition added at the back and the original theatre becoming the foyer.

The Palace Cinima was I recall quite decorative, did it have false balcony’s and ornate carvings etc?

There was of course The Palace Ballrooms upstairs too. I never remember it open, but was told it had a very finely decorated ceilings.

Last edited:
Just thinking of Erdington again, does anyone recall Elmo supermarket? A brand that came and disappeared without anyone noticing.

Just thinking of Erdington again, does anyone recall Elmo supermarket? A brand that came and disappeared without anyone noticing.

crikey a blast from the past mort..i remember elmo cant be certain but i think there was one on the lozells road early 70s

lyn

The Palace Cinima was quite interesting. The foyer was very long and bent to the right. Someone told me that this was when it was a very small village theatre. The cinema auditorium was a later addition added at the back and the original theatre becoming the foyer.

The Palace Cinima was I recall quite decorative, did it have false balcony’s and ornate carvings etc?

There was of course The Palace Ballrooms upstairs too. I never remember shits open, but was told it had a very finely decorated ceilings.

My mother never went to Erdington, she always went up the village.

A search suggests they started in East Anglia. Rebuffed a Tesco takeover but were eventually taken over by Fine Fare (another long gone chain).

Back