• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1950's Erdington

christread

Brummie in exile
1726765289299.jpegThe car on the drive looks like the rear end of my father's Ford Consul, which would make this photo from about 1956. The house, at the Six Ways end of Erdington High Street, was our family home and also housed my father, Dr. Frank Treadwell's surgery. There's a tad more traffic now.

cracking photo chris is the house still there as i cant recall seeing it on the high street

lyn

oh how sad i must do a street view walk to locate the exact spot...should not be too difficult...at least you have that photo...if you have anymore please post them

lyn

found it....i see they kept the houses to the left of your dads surgery..st view below

lyn

Remember it well, used to do Saturday work at Boots the Chemists 2 doors down from Tesco in 1968, 69,70. When I went in Tesco to grab something for lunch in my white Boots staff coat, I'd get mistaken for a member of staff and asked various questions from customers in there. By that time that Tesco shop was well established.

Remember it well, used to do Saturday work at Boots the Chemists 2 doors down from Tesco in 1968, 69,70. When I went in Tesco to grab something for lunch in my white Boots staff coat, I'd get mistaken for a member of staff and asked various questions from customers in there. By that time that Tesco shop was well established.
In those days even the small stores of Boots did more than dispense pre-packaged stuff. For instance, they would mix coal-tar with shampoo instead of having to pay through the nose for proprietary stuff and we used to buy a liquid soap called Sulphestol for washing up (I think it was a gallon at a time)

Last edited:
Treadwells at 253 listed on 1962 erolls but not on 1965. (Years in between are not on Ancestry).
By that time the Old Man was up in the hills of Shropshire, close to the Welsh border, the closest neighbour was half a mile away, a touch different from city life. I went to live in Harborne with aunts until I bought a semi in Wylde Green in 1969 and was finally exiled to North Wales in '78

Do you remember the Music Box across the road Chris ?
The name rings a bell but in honesty, I'm not sure why. Across the road, I do remember Molly Norton who had a cosmetics shop and her brother, George, the optician above her shop. Molly had the Chanel franchise and used to take great delight in using the spray sample bottle to cover a 5 or 6-year-old boy in feminine fragrances. She was a great friend of my mother who died in 1950 when I was 7.

I remember the Music Box well. I bought Space Oddity and Purple Haze from it in the late 60s. I remember Tesco's on the High Street at the same time too. We used to call their jeans Tesco Tearaways... ;)
We called them Tesco Specials. The had the hems turned up.

I am sure there was a café called The Griddle Inn on the corner?

It seemed frightfully posh with its frothy coffee, toasted burger buns and they would remove the rind from the bacon on your bacon cob. A step too far for my friend and I, we asked her to put the rind back on the cob.

We called them Tesco Specials. The had the hems turned up.

I am sure there was a café called The Griddle Inn on the corner?

It seemed frightfully posh with its frothy coffee, toasted burger buns and they would remove the rind from the bacon on your bacon cob. A step too far for my friend and I, we asked her to put the rind back on the cob.
Not listed in 1968 phone book but 1970 has this entry. I post both as the B23 one is referred to as a restaurant.
1726921438585.png

I also remember the Griddle Inn very well. Spent a lot of time in there in the 70s drinking coffee. Up until the late 1960s, I only drank tea and it had to be made with strerra milk. But at the Griddle and Taylors/Owen Owen store cafe (upstairs), I drank many cups of frothy coffee. Felt much more sophisticated than good old tea.

I also remember the Griddle Inn very well. Spent a lot of time in there the 70s drinking coffee. Up until the late 1960s, I only drank tea and it had to be made with strerra milk. But at the Griddle and Taylors/Owen Owen store cafe (upstairs), I drank many cups of frothy coffee. Felt much more sophisticated than good old tea.
I was super sophisticated, I drank coffee in Rackhams' Cafe but the best place was the garden on the top of Lewis's

The Palace sold Kia-Ora and very sophisticated orange flavour Match Makers, small chocolate sticks.

Back