• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bingley Hall

An interesting couple of models built in Bingley Hall. Wonder what they did with them afterwards. Its nice to be able to say the full size buildings still exist. Viv.

View attachment 185889View attachment 185888
Used to go to Bingley hall to the Motor Shows before they went to the NEC . In those days you could sit in the cars and used to come out with a load of brochures for all the different cars. Does anyone remember the Joke stall the man selling the bird sound reed like thing which you put in your mouth and made sounds like a bird. Well he did when i tried to do it i nearly passed out.

Used to go to Bingley hall to the Motor Shows before they went to the NEC . In those days you could sit in the cars and used to come out with a load of brochures for all the different cars. Does anyone remember the Joke stall the man selling the bird sound reed like thing which you put in your mouth and made sounds like a bird. Well he did when i tried to do it i nearly passed out.
if you had passed out and needed medical help and depending what year you would have been helped by my mother in law who was duty nurse at bingley hall for a few years...

lyn

When I was around 13 my class at school was entered into some competition or other and we won a prize which was a trip to see the Circus at Bingley Hall. During the performance a small group of us went to use the toilets and shortly afterwards a clown in full garb entered. “Alright, lads?” he asked, and proceeded to pull down the giant hoop that formed the waist of his trousers and relieved himself over the top of them. It was without doubt the funniest thing I saw him do that afternoon.

In the 60's there was a pet show held in Bingley Hall and I entered my pet rat Otty for the small animal section that he went on to win. I still have his prize a pet book written by Betty Tay of the Daily Mirror a book signed by her.
I wish I could find a photo of him though!!.

Last edited:
Anyone go to the CAMRA beer festival there ? I remember it well, went on the Saturday ... but ended up in a beer infused fog. But what I do remember is the range of beer on offer and it was good. Still hunt down a pub with a good beer or two on offer today. The BH festival taught me a thing or two about beer. Don't know if CAMRA still exists, but it would have its work cut out today to find pubs pulling decent pints. Having said that, though, we have a few micro-pubs selling really good beer and cider here. You have to wonder what the victorians would have made of a beer festival in Bingley Hall when it was mainly used for cattle shows and other worthy events.

Screenshot_20240826_100246_Chrome.jpg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
It is still going Viv. there are good beers, it is just that many of the chain pubs do not serve them. when the pubs do try and serve them the brewery decide to sabotage it so as to make a gastro pub (and evict cats)

Anyone go to the CAMRA beer festival there ? I remember it well, went on the Saturday ... but ended up in a beer infused fog. But what I do remember is the range of beer on offer and it was good. Still hunt down a pub with a good beer or two on offer today. The BH festival taught me a thing or two about beer. Don't know if CAMRA still exists, but it would have its work cut out today to find pubs pulling decent pints. Having said that, though, we have a few micro-pubs selling really good beer and cider here. You have to wonder what the victorians would have made of a beer festival in Bingley Hall when it was mainly used for cattle shows and other worthy events.

View attachment 194350
“Beer infused fog” we used to call it “getting blitzed” :cool:

View attachment 194350
I remember the beer festival well as it coincided with my 21st birthday. I bought a glass with the name of the festival and the date and some tickets going in and exchanged a ticket for a glass of beer at each stand. I kept the glass as a memento of the occasion and lost it just a year ago when a visitor to the house managed to drop it. I was pretty upset having kept it carefully for all those years. The festival was popular and was helped by a strike in (I think) Ansells brewery which meant that near half of the pubs in Birmingham didn't have any beer.

I remember the beer festival well as it coincided with my 21st birthday. I bought a glass with the name of the festival and the date and some tickets going in and exchanged a ticket for a glass of beer at each stand. I kept the glass as a memento of the occasion and lost it just a year ago when a visitor to the house managed to drop it. I was pretty upset having kept it carefully for all those years. The festival was popular and was helped by a strike in (I think) Ansells brewery which meant that near half of the pubs in Birmingham didn't have any beer.
Great piece of memorabilia!

Back