• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Does nobody die anymore?

izzy eckerslike

master brummie
The American euphemism for death "passed" "past away" or even worse "passed on" has now become the norm, even newsreaders on TV seem to be using it and I have to ask why?
A coroner for e.g. is not allowed to use such words and probably doctors also have to inform you a person has died and not passed away.
A friend down the road told me their dog has just passed on and I was left wondering what the heck is going on. So what is wrong with saying a person or animal has died as has been used for centuries?

The American euphemism for death "passed" "past away" or even worse "passed on" has now become the norm, even newsreaders on TV seem to be using it and I have to ask why?
A coroner for e.g. is not allowed to use such words and probably doctors also have to inform you a person has died and not passed away.
A friend down the road told me their dog has just passed on and I was left wondering what the heck is going on. So what is wrong with saying a person or animal has died as has been used for centuries?
I agree. Tinpot

"Passed on" seems to acknowledge some religious beliefs, in that a person still exists, but in a place that is not accessible to mortals. It also relates to the concept that a body is just a (temporary) container for the 'soul'. That can be more comforting to survivors in that the deceased person is probably OK, and possibly better off. As opposed to "dead", which can be applied to inanimate objects, like a washing machine, and has a strong air of finality.
Andrew.

Izzy, while I don’t disagree, passed on is usually in the “movies” to soften the event for audiences. Passed and past away are the terms more frequently used. Most recently in the past 5 months we have lost 4 very dear friends of 50 plus years, when we got the call, it was they had died. After the initial call the word passed was used more frequently.

History is not looking back at a golden past that never was, it’s about understanding the past events and changes in society. The English language is, like all language is evolving. New words pop in to use, and old words into disuse. Words come in and out of fashion too.

Words in common use evolve to be come offensive. This has been happening since the development of the written language. Go and have a look around a few medieval churches, there are plenty of things to see that today some would be highly offended by.

Absolutely, Morturn. And anyone who writes about the past has to be SO careful. I can never reveal the correct name of our family pet in the 1930s and 1940s. I have always been aware of that pitfall, here and elsewhere. What I wasn't prepared for, however, was the reaction within a closed Fb history group when I used a shortcut to define this canine mammal of mixed parentage as a m*ngr*l (without the asterisks). A "Reported" notice duly appeared.

Whether this came from a member with over-developed sensitivities or was the result of the work of a pimply programmer in Pasadena, I have no idea. So, while I accept that language evolves, it does make me feel that we are sometimes starting to leave common-sense - and useful and well-used words - behind.

What "Rex's" opinion of this would have been, I don't know. Protection of his bone was probably a greater priority.

ChrisDogbyPool-mid1930sGCMAlbumP.jpg

I used a shortcut to define this canine mammal of mixed parentage as a m*ngr*l (without the asterisks). A "Reported" notice duly appeared.
Sounds a bit over sensitive. I would expect m*ng*l to be a bit of a trigger these days, and not used with animals.

the work of a pimply programmer
Please! Facially challenged software developer. ;). (Alliteration is a dying art too).
Andrew.

Absolutely, Moturn. And anyone who writes about the past has to be SO careful. I can never reveal the correct name of our family pet in the 1930s and 1940s. I have always been aware of that pitfall, here and elsewhere. What I wasn't prepared for, however, was the reaction within a closed Fb history group when I used a shortcut to define this canine mammal of mixed parentage as a m*ngr*l (without the asterisks). A "Reported" notice duly appeared.

Whether this came from a member with over-developed sensitivities or was the result of the work of a pimply programmer in Pasadena, I have no idea. So, while I accept that language evolves, it does make me feel that we are sometimes starting to leave common-sense - and useful and well-used words - behind.

What "Rex's" opinion of this would have been, I don't know. Protection of his bone was probably a greater priority.

ChrisView attachment 194409
Unfortunately those pimply programmers yield a lightening rod without common sense attached!

All a question of context and the evident intention of the speaker/writer, I suppose. Many words could potentially be used as terms of insult or abuse and/or have been in the past. The trouble is that increasingly, these days, no shades of grey are permitted, everything has to be, well, you know..... And useful, unique words become unuseable without an adequate replacement. HOW can I safely define Rex? Cross-breed isn't right - and may even be regarded as unacceptable anyway. Suggestions please.

First world problems.....

Chris

All a question of context and the evident intention of the speaker/writer, I suppose. Many words could potentially be used as terms of insult or abuse and/or have been in the past. The trouble is that increasingly, these days, no shades of grey are permitted, everything has to be, well, you know..... And useful, unique words become unuseable without an adequate replacement. HOW can I safely define Rex? Cross-breed isn't right - and may even be regarded as unacceptable anyway. Suggestions please.

Chris
I`m sorry Chris i don`t understand why you can`t define Rex? My dog is a Westie, 6 years old & mad as a March Hare ! My last dog was also a Westie & saddened me beyond belief when he died.

He was the sort of dog who probably had a bit of Westie in him - but an awful lot of other things as well, never to be identified. I think he appeared one day in 1935 or 1936, in the arms of our greengrocer on Kingstanding Circle when delivering in our road and was exchanged for a shiny half-a-crown. No Kennel Club documentation came with him. Given a name which can't be mentioned 90 years later. And it seems, no acceptable name to define his "breed".

Long since passed/passed away/passed over/passed on. But never forgotten.

Chris

Chris
Sand pets: The problem is the “word police” are trying to make everything definitive, black & white in a world that is made up of different shades of gray!

Back