• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Does nobody die anymore?

Strange that Izzy brought this subject up as only few weeks ago I had similar discussion. Whilst I believe we should say things as they are we also have to consider the person to whom we are talking, considering their sensitivity. certainly to say someone has died, to me seems more 'brutal' than saying they have passed away.
A few weeks ago our daughter rang me and told me that our eldest grandson had "hung himself". We were obviously devastated as he had four lovely children and a lovely wife. But as I was talking with our Pastor asking for prayer for the family, the question arose as to whether we should say to others that he had committed suicide, which doesn't seem to sound so stark.
As far as I'm concerned we say it as it is

Strange that Izzy brought this subject up as only few weeks ago I had similar discussion. Whilst I believe we should say things as they are we also have to consider the person to whom we are talking, considering their sensitivity. certainly to say someone has died, to me seems more 'brutal' than saying they have passed away.
A few weeks ago our daughter rang me and told me that our eldest grandson had "hung himself". We were obviously devastated as he had four lovely children and a lovely wife. But as I was talking with our Pastor asking for prayer for the family, the question arose as to whether we should say to others that he had committed suicide, which doesn't seem to sound so stark.
As far as I'm concerned we say it as it is
Gods Blessings to you and your daughter’s families! I believe you should say whatever you feel comfortable with regardless of what others say.

Back