• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

bundy clocks around birmingham

Radiorails

master brummie
The Bundy Clock, if there was one, would definitely been on the opposite side of Icknield Street opposite the Royal Mint PH. There was a Bundy Clock situated on the bridge by Monument Lane railway station which is in the same direction as shown by the number 8 bus. There would not have be two clocks in such a short distance of one another in the same direction of travel.

The Bundy Clock, if there was one, would definitely been on the opposite side of Icknield Street opposite the Royal Mint PH. There was a Bundy Clock situated on the bridge by Monument Lane railway station which is in the same direction as shown by the number 8 bus. There would not have be two clocks in such a short distance of one another in the same direction of travel.
Hi Radiorails, as you say, there was a Bundy clock on the anti clockwise route at the Monument Rd railway bridge, but that is the opposite way to the previous photos of the clockwise bus outside the cafe. Was there a Bundy clock on both sides of Monument Rd?

Apologies Radiorails, I've just looked up the Inner circle book and you are right about the direction of the No8 bus and the Bundy clock on Monument Rd railway bridge. Do you know if there was a clock on the opposite side (anti clockwise).

I cannot say for certain that was a Bundy Clock opposite the Royal Mint pub. The period mentioned was much later than the period that I knew Lyn. I knew the Inner Circe well between 1959 and early 1954 so that it what I remember and is the era of the photograph. The fitment on the wall looks rather like a vending machine and I don't recall BCT having any free standing Bundy clocks. Maybe your in friends time clocks were changed and the PTE was coming into the picture.
However I stand by my previous post and that was referring to the Bundy clock in Monument Road and it would be highly unusual for another clock to be located, on the same bus route, in just a small distance away.

hi alan not being an expert on buses and bundy clocks and i know a little off topic but just a quick question...would you say this is the remains of an old bundy clock..its on the walsall road....edit post alan..just looked it up and it is a BCT free standing bundy

lyn

Last edited:
On a circular bus route am I right in thinking the two clocks could theoretically be anywhere on the route? They didn't need to be opposite one another, or even near one another?

My only knowledge is on the number 11 circular route. Used to be one bundy clock on corner of Swanshurst Lane just round the corner from the bus stop in one direction and over the road from bus stop in other direction. I suppose it could have been used by both.

On a circular bus route am I right in thinking the two clocks could theoretically be anywhere on the route? They didn't need to be opposite one another, or even near one another?
Correct.
On the 8 route there were four such clocks it seems. The one mentioned before, at Monument Road and in the same direction another in Saltley at Adderley Road. In the opposite direction there was one near Highgate Road garage, Sparkbrook and another in Nursery Road, Hockley which it appears to have been moved nearer to Hockley bus garage.at a later date - probably due to demolitions.
BCT was very conscious of noise made by buses and crews and sited their clocks as far away as possible to avoid this to alleviate any complaints. The Monument Road clock was re-sited a few yards away following complaints that were made.
Most bus drivers would be glad to stretch their legs and the provision of a resting point with clock would be appreciated. In wet or cold weather I guess they would keep to the saloon of the bus.
Drivers will confirm or correct this of course. ;)
The bus stop, by the Royal Mint pub, would seem to be a most unlikely place for a Bundy Clock: the pavement is far too narrow and not ideal for a 'quick fag' or natter.
However, Lyn's friend may well remember demolitions, re-building and re-siting of clocks. but that is a different era.

Apologies if I am continuing this debate on too long. I must agree with with Radiorails in that having a clock at Monument Rd station and Icknield St (a matter of about three stops) is too close. The text on these two photos suggests that there are two clocks opposite each other on the Monument Rd bridge.
Monument Rd Bundy clock 1.jpgMonument Rd Bundy clock 2.jpgmap.jpg
This is not to discount peoples memories because as it's been said, perhaps over time they may have been re-positioned due to demolition schemes. Definitely two opposite at Adderley St, Saltly.

That is the same wall taken from a different direction. If our late comrade, ASTONIAN, was still here he would tell us all about the wall as he used to look at the trains below - well documented by him and others I believe in an earlier post.

hi alan not being an expert on buses and bundy clocks and i know a little off topic but just a quick question...would you say this is the remains of an old bundy clock..its on the walsall road....edit post alan..just looked it up and it is a BCT free standing bundy

lyn

Yes it was a Bundy Clock but it is shown as only a cut down version, minus the clock part (martyred?) but painted blue to reflect WMPTE colours. aaaagh!

That is the same wall taken from a different direction. If our late comrade, ASTONIAN, was still here he would tell us all about the wall as he used to look at the trains below - well documented by him and others I believe in an earlier post.
Hi Radiorails, the text says otherwise. The one photo says Icknield Square & Leach St is in the background which suggests that the bus is heading for Spring Hill. The other photo mentions the Post Office which suggests that a bus would be heading for Hagley Rd. You have to CHECK THE MAP. Unless the book text is wrong, it means that there were two clocks at Monument Rd bridge.

I would be careful with careful regarding photograph descriptions, particularly from that source. Forum Members will most likely remember the No. 8 bus thread that ran into considerable Forum pages where it gave a location of Icknield Street/Spring Hill when it eventually found that the location was St. Lukes Road/ Bristol Road, I have to admit that I was caught out with that one, even though I knew there was no bus stop and shelter at that place in Icknield Street. I had assumed, incorrectly, it was a later addition.

Janice, the direction was towards Stratford Road and the road was over a wide a bridge over the River Cole. A good view was seen of the Sarehole Mill at that point

We are going wildly off topic but no river Cole near the clock I referred to by Swanshurst Park.

recently the bundy clock has been discussed a lot on another thread but we now think this topic deserves its very own thread so please post here to talk about the bundy clocks around birmingham...

the team

City of Birmingham coat of arms on the pedestal of a Bundy Clock, preserved at Walsall Arboretum. Photo by Andy Mabbett
1717996144165.jpeg
Bundy Clock, preserved at the Wythall Transport Museum. Photo by Petecollier
1717996384731.jpeg

and to follow what is left of the one on the parade walsall road gt barr

my aunt lived on bell lane tile cross and would visit her often...we had to get the no 14 bus...i am sure we got off at the terminus and have a vague memory of there being a bundy clock there but i cant be certain yet...maybe someone who knows the area better than i do can help

lyn

Back