• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

can you place any forum issues in here after the rebuild

The trouble with these Humix pop-up videos is that they are appearing adjacent to people's posts and appear to be attachments inserted by the poster. There is little or nothing to indicate that they ARE adverts. It took me a moment or two yesterday to understand why on earth Astoness had made a post which included a video showing a White House spokeswoman making an important announcement...... Next time I looked at it that lady had changed to a bloke rabbitting on about something else.

I think it's pretty clear that this sort of intrusion has to be knocked on the head, as and when it's possible.

Chris

The trouble with these Humix pop-up videos is that they are appearing adjacent to people's posts and appear to be attachments inserted by the poster. There is little or nothing to indicate that they ARE adverts. It took me a moment or two yesterday to understand why on earth Astoness had made a post which included a video showing a White House spokeswoman making an important announcement...... Next time I looked at it that lady had changed to a bloke rabbitting on about something else.

I think it's pretty clear that this sort of intrusion has to be knocked on the head, as and when it's possible.

Chris
Well said that man

I presume they generate an income. I, for one, would prefer to pay an annual sub to belong to an ad free forum than try to work round those videos.
As Chris said being with someone's post makes things very confusing.

My own view is a bit old-fashioned even though I'm aware of ad-blocking methods.

I think that a website like this one should be, at the very least, just about acceptable to view to anyone who is a member or who stumbles across it while searching the internet. And, who, for whatever reason - technical ignorance, old age, fear of mucking up their device or even just disinclination - isn't going to tinker with their settings. Difficult to get that balance right, of course, and Humix probably tips it the wrong way.

Chris

why has humix started showing after all these years of no problems and no add blockers? blockers just mask the issue not cure it

This may well pre-date the rebuild, but for some time now, I have found the page buttons unresponsive when using the forum on my iPad (Safari). It’s a bit random really. Sometimes ‘next’ will work but, but not ‘previous’, and sometimes the number buttons will work counting down but not up. I had thought that it may be a ‘zombie finger’ issue (I have dry skin), but using a stylus doesn’t work either. As I edit this post, I’m having trouble with the cursor as well. Any ideas anyone?

I'm not the only one then. Even as I write this it's moved over to a smaller pop-up. I will try Ghostery but would be willing to pay a subscription to enjoy,ad free, one of my favourite Forums.
annoying video clip.jpg

"Today, I keep getting a pop up youtube video of Berlin by Humix. It's on the home page & every other catagory I go into. It is only happening on The Birmingham History Website. Is this just my problem or has anyone else experienced this?"

ME TOO! Very annoying.

got a call with the advertisers. apparently its part of their beta setup they are removing it, it wasn't intentional

there should only ever be 4 adds, 1 top 2 sides 1 bottom that's it anything more is an accident its pissed me off as well im looking for alternatives

just to show you i aways set the lowest ad options and always go for user experience: and as you can see Humix is off which is why im annoyed
1717262719605.png

1717262748412.png

Seems to me that that explains why some people have had trouble with the zoom. Looks like The real forum space with text that people want to read has been pushed inwards from the sides to make space for a load of rubbish on either side

Seems to me that that explains why some people have had trouble with the zoom. Looks like The real forum space with text that people want to read has been pushed inwards from the sides to make space for a load of rubbish on either side
quite possibly! im just waiting for an update on the call. I want them gone as well!

Back