• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Icknield Street

ok blimey dib must be losing me bearings...or is the one that replaced it ?? as its also by those old toilets

lyn

dib thats a good pic of hingeston street i have not seen that one before...

many thanks for posting it...

lyn

Where the picture shows the Rimini Cafe. Used to be a small factory called 'Greenland's' where they made brass candle sticks and brass ornament's like crinoline ladies. I had a relative who worked there. It would have been late 1950's.

Your picture shows the NEW Rimini Cafe Lyn, in Icknield Street itself, close to the corner of Warstone Lane. Maybe it moved across the road from Icknield/Hingeston Street when they demolished the area. The one I used was opposite Stoddards, corner of Warstone Lane and Carver Street.
There were lots of small workshops, factories (and residents) around there in the fifties/early sixties so plenty of cafes were around for the bacon and tomato sarnies (I can remember the taste now and have to rush off to wipe the drool off my chin).

Last edited:
Yes Charlie it was opposite Stoddard's butcher's, and bacon had a better flavour then, none of that white stuff that comes out when we fry it these day's. Now you are making my mouth water with those tasty memories.

HIGUYS
Many thanks for the memory it hold ome god memories and i am sure mossy will agree
dare i say it we both hung out there and around the time the manager was shot
and directly on the cornerfacing the cafe was the mint pub where we all drank and played
darts and dommies
have a nice day i hope mossy sees the picture best wishes Astonian ;

it ends in a d max..thats ickneild street and the long shot is of hingeston st...thanks charlie and maggs...keep the memories coming its all we have left now...

lyn

I used to work in the late 60s just up the road from Icknield st ( off Warstone Lane in Warstone Parade east ) i have a few memories of Icknield St at that time , Stoddards , the post office next to Stoddards, the public toilets, the horse drinking trough out side the mint and all the old cobble stone road there.
Opposite the mint was a ladies shop, and the bosses wife would send me there to get "ladies Things" for her i hated that and once she sent me to get her a bra!!!! just further down from the shop was the number 8 bus stop with its Bundy clock,where i caught the bus to Aston Cross. There was a wonderful chip shop up towards the library, which was owned by relatives of the Birmingham actress Lisa Daniels.
When i was younger, pre working age, i remember the Policemans phone box opposite the library by Bullpits, i think the pub diagonally opposite was the Turf ?

Last edited by a moderator:
HI MAX
Yes it was he turf pub and later the gather moved to victoria rd aston to a akinson house
i think it was the victoria house hotel on victoria rd i was friends with the son and i went down to victoria after they left turf my auntie helen had the other chippie more or less facing the libary facing the big tobbaconist
best wishes Astonian ;;

HI MAX
Yes it was he turf pub and later the gather moved to victoria rd aston to a akinson house
i think it was the victoria house hotel on victoria rd i was friends with the son and i went down to victoria after they left turf my auntie helen had the other chippie more or less facing the libary facing the big tobbaconist
best wishes Astonian ;;
Cheers Astonian, i thought it was, i was coming out of the roller rink as was on Summer Hill when i met my brother-in-law ( an Irish guy ) who insisted that i went for a drink with him in The Turf, even though i was only 14 years old ( i was a big lad )
I couple of hours later i staggered on to the number 8. Ive not looked back since. God Bless mate.
Max

Profuse apologies proffered - I was not trying to make a religious point - merely trying to offer the alternative view to the previous posts that the Qu'ran (and by extention call to prayer) is widely held to be poetry of the highest form https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qur'an#Arab_writing and influenced many branches of the arts over the centuries (Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's sufi inspired Qawwal songs such as Allah Hoo eg at Small Heath Park in 1989 https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4002924226524948790# comes to mind).

I find this post disturbing, and certainly not suitable for a thread regarding Icknield St !!!!.
A Forum as The Birmingham History Forum is built along the lines of being none religious , none political and none sectarian.
Why the heck you would think that people reading this thread would want to read extracts from the qur'ran at a time when Brummies are being killed in a Holly War staggers me !!! and your link to the video is showing Eid celebrations which of course have absolutely nothing to do with Islam or its followers. Lets not have this Forum turned into something it isnt , or something that i would want not to be associated with if it became such.
Max

It was indeed the Turf pub Max. I remember all the shop's you mentioned as I lived near Stoddard's, where my dad worked. I remember the horse trough and the cobbled road that icknield St was. The chip shop you mention (Morgan's) was one of my favourites too. As for the little ladies shop opposite the Mint, I shall alway's remember my first grown up undies coming from there. Lovely memories indeed.

Last edited:
maggs..the turf pub is a new one on me....will add it to my list of pics to find....

lyn

"Your picture shows the NEW Rimini Cafe Lyn, in Icknield Street itself, close to the corner of Warstone Lane. Maybe it moved across the road from Icknield/Hingeston Street when they demolished the area"

I guess the original "Rimini" closed when the road was widened into a duel carriage way, all the one side of Icknield street, furniture shop, chip shop, cafe, the mint pub must all be under the carriage way that goes towards the flat.

A photo of The Turf on the corner of Monument Rd and Spring Hill.

Phil

LadywoodMonumentRd-SpringHillTheTurf.jpg

I used to work in the late 60s just up the road from Icknield st ( off Warstone Lane in Warstone Parade east ) i have a few memories of Icknield St at that time , Stoddards , the post office Stoddards, the public toilets, the horse drinking trough out side the mint and all the old cobble stone road there.
Opposite the mint was a ladies shop, and the bosses wife would send me there to get "ladies Things" for her i hated that and once she sent me to get her a bra!!!! just further down from the shop was the number 8 bus stop with its Bundy clock,where i caught the bus to Aston Cross. There was a wonderful chip shop up towards the library, which was owned by relatives of the Birmingham actress Lisa Daniels.When i was younger, pre working age, i remember the Policemans phone box opposite the library by Bullpits, i think the pub diagonally opposite was the Turf ?

The mention of Stoddards brings back unpleasant memories for me. As an apprentice electrician working in Carver Street in the early fifties we carried out work in that slaughter house. The sights there would put you off bacon for life. The lunchtime sport was shooting the cockroaches with an air rifle.

George

I have happy memories of catching the Sunday morning train from Hockley Station ( opposite the cemetery ) i would walk there through silent streets , except for bird song, from Brougham St weighed down with my fishing tackle on route to Bewdley on a wonderful steam train.
Its funny how the severn valley railway station at Bewdley is just as i remember it in 1960-62. My parents were wonderful in as much i could go where ever i liked, and i did. I was only 9 or 10 years old. Max

Thank you Phil, smashing photo. How that bring's back the memories. I must have crossed the road there a million times. Either going up the Monument Rd swimming bath's or the Edgbaston cinema. Oh I nearly forgot the 'Tower Ballroom' too.

One of the problem's here was the pig's were alway's brought in on a Sunday afternoon for slaughter on Monday. They were kept in Stoddard's back yard overnight. Where there are pigs, there are cockroaches. I know this from having spent time on a farm. We lived in the houses at the back of Stoddard's and we had the cockroaches in the back to back houses all the time....Truly awful and something I shall never forget.

The mention of Stoddards brings back unpleasant memories for me. As an apprentice electrician working in Carver Street in the early fifties we carried out work in that slaughter house. The sights there would put you off bacon for life. The lunchtime sport was shooting the cockroaches with an air rifle.

George
Thanks George i like to think that you and ya mates killed em all off !!!!! But i wondered what the crunchy bits were in the pies. Max

lovely max...i have not got the gt western but have different shots of the other 3...love the one showing the old num 8...

thanks for posting them...

lyn

Better than anything that's on the street now or in the future! 'Cept Spring Hill Library, but I think that (logically) comes under "Spring Hill" !

morning charlie...seeing the back end of the num 8 reminds me of when we used to go to spring hill rollar rink...one of our gang had his own skates so he used to keep em on grab the rail of the bus and get a tow down to hockley flyover lol lol...

happy days...

lyn

Back