• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

    We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by wam

  1. W

    Scams via telephone, email 2026

    Last weekend I got three calls about saving money on the Aviva policy (which I don't have). I got one of them to come up with the name of the company they said they worked for (not Aviva). I don't know how Aviva deals with renewals but I'd be careful with anyone claiming to represent a company...
  2. W

    S Rose & Co

    Sounds like the company switched around a bit before I started. I started in 78 when the main building was at 90 Lionel St between the P O Tower and Ludgate Hill. The main building had just the Mens and Boys stuff and the offices - the rest was on Ludgate Hill. After the fire in 79 they moved...
  3. W

    S Rose & Co

    After the fire the company mo After the fire, the company moved into the Ludgate Hill building for a few months. The photo looks a bit like that building. The Lionel St building was much larger than that and went fairly far back. It's possible that the company moved before I started at the end...
  4. W

    S Rose & Co

    I started back end of the 70s just before the fire so I didn't get to know anyone much in the various departments (I started as accounts) until the move to the new building. After the fire a lot of departments moved into the building across the road for around a year before we moved to Digbeth.
  5. W

    Typhoo Tea Bordesley Street Digbeth

    I managed to get through on the previous link. All you get to see is a table of contents and a back cover. There is something said about a library loan but I would assume you have to be a member of the library to see more. In addition the link/library is on archive.org which is blocked by some...
  6. W

    Computer help please 2025

    As things stand, Photo Impression doesn't exist any more. If you try to download a later version, there's an even chance it's a fake. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhotoImpression If what you've got doesn't work see if you can get by with just moving the images from the camera onto whatever...
  7. W

    Computer help please 2025

    Curious. Where I am at the moment use an Epson XP-245 mostly. They don't buy original (ie Epson) cartridges often so it does complain about the use of others at times but that doesn't stop it printing. Nothing seems to stop it scanning. Maybe it's just the model. One thing to bear in mind is...
  8. W

    Tolkein and Sarehole Mill History

    This showed up on facebook a couple of days back. It seems the City has plans for Sarehole Mill and are running one of their online consultation forms at the moment...
  9. W

    Ordinance survey maps

    I tend to use this as a start point and that's my saved link. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.0&lat=52.45680&lon=-1.89650&layers=175&b=3&o=100 You can adjust the place and date of the map from there.
  10. W

    Jazz Clubs

    Some years back I used to know a girl (Lin? Grant?) who claimed her dad had played in Dave Brubeck's band in London in the 60s/70s. Robert Plant was a fan and turned up at her dad's wedding (not to her mother this time). She told this story a few times. Someone else I knew slightly claimed he...
  11. W

    Do You Still Carry Scars

    Inch long scar on right hand after being stabbed with a cold chisel at school.
  12. W

    Computer help please 2025

    Just because Microsoft no longer provides updates to an operating system doesn't mean the computer will stop working. It will be exposed to more internet threats but, if you're reasonably careful, these don't mean so much. Most people think Linux is something obscure that no-one has ever seen...
  13. W

    Earl Grey

    I walked past there on the way home from the dentist yesterday. It does have all of the signage on the outside at the side but the window nearest the front shows something white sand solid at an angle suggesting that, at least, that room isn't in use. The front on pershore road is a different...
  14. W

    Scams: telephone, email, texts 2025

    Probably not it's an old scam that's been around for years. Since the content of the link is behind a paywall at the daily Express, you could say that the article itself is a scam trying to get you to stump up for an Express subscription with an article that could have been written years ago...
  15. W

    Scams: telephone, email, texts 2025

    Some of these you report as spam. If the email has some kind of link that you are supposed to follow report it as "phishing". Some email providers have this as an option. This incurs a block on the sender as well.
Back
Top