• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Zephyr sewing machines

BigJohn

master brummie
Can anyone help with this query? I have a sewing machine sold by Universal in Hurst Street Birmingham in the 1960's. A Zephyr model. I read somewhere that they were made by BSM. I would think that it would be Birmingham made as we did everyhting in those days. I don't belive that it would have been Bristol Street Motors but I cant find any trace of a Company of that name who would have made sewing machines. It's not fancy but it is well made and heavy.
Thanks for any info.

Can anyone help with this query? I have a sewing machine sold by Universal in Hurst Street Birmingham in the 1960's. A Zephyr model. I read somewhere that they were made by BSM. I would think that it would be Birmingham made as we did everyhting in those days. I don't belive that it would have been Bristol Street Motors but I cant find any trace of a Company of that name who would have made sewing machines. It's not fancy but it is well made and heavy.
Thanks for any info.

I think BSM stands for British Sewing Machines which was a trade mark of Vickers

There was a British Sewing machine company in Glasgo in 1863 , but they seem to hav e disappeared by the 1890s. There seem to hav ebeen several companies of that name repairing machines after that, but in 1938 a large factory was built for a company of that name at Cyfarthfa, near Merthyr Tydfil, and this seems to have remained there till after WW1

see also
The Zephyr machine was made by Universal in their factory at 23 to 27 Hurst St where they employed around 300 staff.

Jonob
What makes you believe they were manufactured there? The directories just list Universal as a dealer in sewing machines, not a manufacturer.

I worked at Universal Sewing Machines Hust Street before joining the army in 1956. All the Sewing Machine parts where brought in from another factory and assembled at the Hurst Street site. Although, the main Machine was branded a Zephyr they also refurbished Singer Machines and motorised hand machines. The building now demolished had a show room and offices on the ground floor and workshops on the top floor. See attached picture I am on the left. There was also German mechanics working there so the machine parts could have come from Germany for assembly in the UK hence the
German Engineers to iron out any production problems.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-11-01_204626.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-01_204626.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
my mom had one for years she loved it,but as it was getting old i bought her a brand new electric one from a shop in alum rock,
but she could not master it, so stuck with the hand machine

Plaque on the machine stand states 'Supplied by Universal Sewing Machines Ltd. 286 Broad Street. Birmingham 1.'
1667376987909.png

Back