• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Singer Sewing machines

Obviously this lady has not trained her lazy family to make their own beds. Washing up depends upon how much - there nearly always is something in the sink at our house. Those might be the ideal conditions if you ragard sewing as a hobby, rarely do the ideal conditions exist!

Maurice :cool:

"Make yourself as attractive as possible" - I've been going about this sewing milarky all wrong for donkeys years. By the time you've done all those things it's time for bed Zeperdee !!!!. Viv.

My mum had a Singer, table top version with handle (not electric). Best machine I've ever used. Limited functions but so so easy to use and do all those basic jobs most people use a sewing machine for day to day. Viv.

My wife who is from Glasgow ( yes a mixed marriage ) worked at Singers prior to coming to Australia.
When we were younger Maggie did a lot of sewing, mainly on a trusty Singer treadle , if anything went wobbly the girl set too and fixed it herself.
Though we had another brand electric one the old treadle was her machine of choice.

My Nan had a treadle sewing machine, I think it was a Singer, later she had a table top machine.

Tim,

I agree. My late wife was a seamstress for most of her life. At one time in charge of the workshop of a school uniform manufacturer at the top of Broad Street, and after that mainly sub-contracted curtain making from many shops in the Bournemouth area including the Co-Op. She could always fix her old machines and said modern machines had no real guts in them and made her old machines seem like industrial ones.

Maurice :cool:

Back