• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Young - Actor comedian

L

Lyndysnowbird

My Gt Grandfather was Thomas Young born about 1855 according to the 1911 census he was born in Birmingham. I sent for a birth certificate for one Thomas Young that I found at the right age but I'm unsure if it is him. Born at 5 Centre Row Birmingham.

He is a bit of a mystery really, earlier census say he was born in Hereford but the 1911 says Birmingham. His marriage Certificate gives his name as Thomas Davis Young Comedian/Vocalist, but my grandmothers birth certificate says Thomas Henry Young. On his marriage certificate in 1879 at St Nicholas Church Droitwich,it states his father as Thomas Young a Mechanic.

Because he was an Actor/Comedian the his wifes family had a travelling theatre he moved around England a lot. Although my Grandmother was born in Horncastle Lincolnshire, he was actually residing at 2 House 6 Court, Alexadra St, King Edwards Road Birmingham, that was in 1884. Were these tenement buildings.

I have searched the census for Thomas Young (his father) Birmingham and the only likely one is a Jappaner of leather.

Is there anyone out there more experienced than me at these things to help me find out where he came from, when he was born and who his parents are.

i can now see your problem!! i presume you have found thomas the artist/comedian in 1881 and 1891. i have found them but i think you have them. i wonder why the father was noted as mechanic when you have japanner on the birth of thomas jnr. it doesnt seem to fit. i have looked for the father thomas and nearest i can come to mechanic is engine driver b. worc. and blacksmith again b. worc

the engine driver is on 1891 census with thomas aged 64 and b. worc.

the blacksmith which may be the same man is on 1881 aged 54.

let me know what you think

Would this be the correct entry on the 1881 census:

Residence Market Sq. Stoney Stratford

Thomas Young b. abt 1854, Hereford. Artist/Painter

Emma b. Bradford, York. Actress

Blanch, daughter 8 months b. Atherstone, Warwickshire.

Did you find Blanche & Margaret on the 1901 census?

Boarding in Rushden. Blanche an actress and Margaret a Shoe Fitter.

Thanks to you both,

First replying to Shera, I did see both of those on the census. but not sure about them for a connection.

And To Suemalings, yes you are correct in that is my Thomas on the Stony Stratford Market Place. But again Hereford birth changes on other census returns.

The Margaret in 1901 is my grandmother, who I knew very well and she recalled dancing on the stage as a very young girl.

My big problem is where was he really born?? I have so far bought 2 birth certificates, neither give conclusive evidence that I have the correct one. I have the marriage certificate but have not found his death certificate yet.

We know he was still alive in 1926 living with Margaret in Rushden. Also he had a son Victor who lived in Nantwich Cheshire - which is where he was in 1911 census. I've really hit a brick wall with this as I want to try to get back beyond him in my family tree but cant find positive proof of his birth.

Emma and Maggie were actresses but Maggie was apparently the darling of this theatre. George and Joseph Wells are described as musicians in 1881 in ...
www.[B]wells[/B]-genealogy.org.uk/wellsbedern.htm - 29k - Cached - Similar pages

As I have failed to find anything on Thomas Young, I thought I would search for Emma Wells. Came across this, so you might want to make contact as it relates to your branch. George, Joseph and Maggie were Emma's botheres and sister. (Emma being Thomas's wife, married Droitwich)

Thanks again, but I am already in contact with the person that wrote that. She is my cousin Eileen. We have been helping each other with research for several years but have both hit the same brick wall.

We have researched the theatre as much as we can and have quite a bit of information on that, its Thomas Young thats posing the problems.

We may have to resign ourselves to the fact that we are not going to get any further back than him. there could be many reasons why his information varies so much with each new document. One of them being that he might have been illigitemate.

On the 1891 cen's I think this is your family and Thomas was said to be born in Hereford and his age is 38.
So looking on BMD I found
The district Worcester spans the boundaries of the counties of Hereford and Worcester and Worcestershire
and a birth
Young Thomas Henry Worcester 6c240
could this be him?

Place: Mansfield -Nottinghamshire
Civil Parish: Sutton In Ashfield Ecclesiastical Parish: Sutton In Ashfield
Address: Near Outram St

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born
YOUNG Thomas Head M M 38 Professional Comedian(Em'ee) Herefordshire -HerefordRemarks Address In van on waste ground nr Outram St
YOUNG Emma Wife M F 34 Professional Comedian(Em'ee) Yorkshire - Bradford Remarks Address - In a van
YOUNG Blanche Dau - F 11 Scholar Warwickshire - Atherstone
YOUNG Victor Son - M 9 Scholar Derbyshire - Swadlincote
YOUNG Margaret E Dau - F 7 Scholar Lincolnshire - Horncastle

What year and quarter, was that birth registration, I'll send for it and see if that might be him

I have just checked census for 1861 for that Thomas in Worcester and no luck, then I looked for a death before the 1861 census and there was a Thomas Henry young who died in 1854, and the birth you found was 1852. So I think that child may well have died aged about 2.

I'll keep looking!! I would really like to find his death certificate as that will give me more leads. He was still alive in 1926.

Back