• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yew Tree Road school

Jean these were our Sans year I think, I have just mailed her the photo. I think the one in the middle of the front row holding the ball is Marie Allen they used to live next door to the Wiggles and her mom and dad were Ernie and Marg, I am sure it is her San will come on and say I would think. Just look at those baggie knickers lol

Christopher I left the same day as Mr Long and I used to be his tea girl. Remember his office always smelling of smoke but I still thought the world of him. Our last day out was to Cheddar Gorge with the school and I remember him pointing out a Yellow Hammer bird. He came to visit my mom when I didn't want to sit the eleven plus and said I aught to. All I remember when my brother went to King Edwards was homework every night. Little did I know it would be the same at Manor Park. I think you mentioned that on friends re united Christopher or it may have been Geraldine?. Jean.

Sorry Pat I must have posted at the same time as yourself. Of course she lived next door to Betty Read thanks Pat. Jean.

Girls in the skittle ball team are

Back row left to right Pat Higgs, Maureen Kennedy, Lynne Swinbourne, Ann Jennings, Helen Bradbury Linda Dawson (me) Mary Norton

Front row left to right Barbara Tambling, Susan Crisp, Margaret Beech, Susan Chapman Susan? Matthews

Hope it helps

Linda

The one in the middle holding the ball is Margaret Beech used to live in Witton Lane. her Uncle was Len Dangerfield

Linda

Hello Chris I was not aware about Miss Tinley dying at the Liggin's.
Misss Tinley and Mr and Mrs Liggins were all at my wedding., we have a lovly letter from Mr Liggins thanking Barrie's parents for the invite

Linda

Linda I knew Len well and he came and put a new roof on our extension. I was in Margaret's sisters class her name was Christine. I was disgusted at something someone put on friends re united regarding Mr Liggins and Mr Smith and so much so that I reported it. Probably someone who didn't appreciate the best teacher I have ever had the pleasure of being taught by. Did Susan Crisp have a sister do you know and do you remember Helen Lyndon?. TTFN. Jean.

Hello everyone,

I wonder if you remember the school caretaker called Mr. Tirebuck. He always used to come rushing into the hall with a bucket of sawdust when someone was sick in assembly !!
I think he had a son called Tony who went to the school.
There is a picture post of the school athletics team - Mr. Liggins on the left, who was the lady teacher on the right ?

Christopher Tony contacted me too on friends re united and I will go and sort his message out after dinner. I don't remember her name but she always wore a flared skirt and used to run down Mr Longs stairs with it almost round her neck. Funny things you remember. When it was sports trials day we had to run on grass and I hated it and the Birmingham schools event was on a hard surface. She always put Susan Brimmer in but when it came to sports day at school in the playground I always whopped the backside off her. Jean.

Jean,

We had trials for the long jump on a games morning at Grove Lane. I thought that John Swingler would win because he was quite tall. Much to my suprise I won and was entered in the Aston Sports at Perry Barr. Again much to my suprise and delight I won and I remember Mr. Liggins was absolutley ecstatic. My Mother and I were walking to bus stop afterwards and Mr. Liggins came chasing after us to say I had won a medal and we had to go back to collect it. Hence me in the centre of that photograph.

Cristopher is that the photo I put on only I recognize some of them as being in Patty and my class?. Jean.

Re: Yew Tree rd school Mr Smith's class

Just found another photo of my class, Mr Smiths. Sorry it's not a very good photo, I dont know if anyone could try to restore it for me?
I've given this a bit of a facelift for you as requested.
regards
humph

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same photo Humph but mine is still pretty good. I am the one sitting next to Mr.Smith on the left [his right]. Was no teachers pet though. Jean.

Re: Yew Tree rd school Mr Smith's class

Humph just noticed you have taken the legs off Vicky Danberry and given them to Carol Read. Jean.

Well, I think she needed some, she was having trouble standing........

Humph

Unfortunately the legs you borrowed are no more. Vicky's sister told me she passed away two years ago and quite a few others off that photo. Jean.

As far as I am aware Susan Crisp did not have a sister, she did have a brother John who my husband was at Yew Tree with, sorry do not remember Helen Lyndon.

Linda

Margaret Beech living on the Brookvale roa d opposite Righton Steel Office Married Alan Jones out of Tame Road
robb

Alan Mossg on the forum has a clip with the Kenedy's on. I will ask him for the link again. Jean.

A couple more Keith. Yew Tree road school. The bottom photo is Mr Liggins on the left and Mr Smith on the right. Jean.

Edit. Unfortunately the photos have been loStitch this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1st photo I would say they were 15,the second photo they would be 11 or there abouts. 1949--1953 my guess. Dek

Thanks for dating them. I know a couple of lads who went there and one eventually became the headmaster- Peter Field the other was just a normal pupil. These would be around 1955 to 1962ish as schoolboys

ImagerHandler.ashx
Just found this on friends re united. Patty can you name some of the lads on here that were in our class?. Jean.

Back