• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yenton Garage , Erdington , Birmingham 23

grahamesmith

knowlegable brummie
My dad worked for them during the ww2...He took me there and I remember work being done on an army vehicle i do remember it was rather large and painted a dull green...I don't live in the UK anymore so I wonder A/ are they still in business and B/ what did they do for the government ? regds Grahame Smith

Newspaper ads put Yenton Garage at 724 Chester Road and if the numbers are the same it would place it on the corner of Chester Road and Sutton Road, which is now a McDonalds.

If you search google images for 'old Birmingham Yenton Garage' it results in some facebook images that may show the garage, can't quite make out the sign.

Newspaper ads put Yenton Garage at 724 Chester Road and if the numbers are the same it would place it on the corner of Chester Road and Sutton Road, which is now a McDonalds.

If you search google images for 'old Birmingham Yenton Garage' it results in some facebook images that may show the garage, can't quite make out the sign.
This image, previously posted in the Street Furniture thread by Vivienne, shows Yenton Garage adjacent to The Yenton pub, on the opposite side of Chester Road to the present McDonalds, where the Esso Station and Tesco Express now stand.
Am I correct in recalling that, in the early 60s, there were two garages, each on the corner on opposite sides of Chester Road?Yenton Garage.jpg

Attachments

• Yenton Garage Google View.jpg
    Yenton Garage Google View.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 13
In the mid 70's to 80's Yenton Garage was a Rootes/Chrysler/Talbot dealer with a showroom based where McDonalds is now, service dept. was in Goosemoor Ln. Both long gone.

Last edited:
I seem to remember that there were actually two garages, one to serve the traffic heading towards Beggars Bush and one for the traffic towards The Tyburn. Attached is an image from a newspaper cuttings book from Sutton Library. Post #3 shows the garage by the Yenton pub and this photo shows the one now replaced by McDonalds. Apologies for the poor quality - I actually took the photo because it shows the houses on the Lyndhurst Estate from an angle I hadn't seen before.
(On closer inspection you can just see the petrol pumps of the 'Yenton' garage in the bottom right hand corner).

Attachments

• Road Widening Yenton.jpg
    Road Widening Yenton.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 13
Back