• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ye olde engine tavern...

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all...i wonder could anyone solve this for my brother...

according to what dad told him there used to a building in gt hampton row with a sign in mosaic saying ye olde engine tavern but was never actually opened up as a pub..our kid says he has seen the sign himself sometime in the 70s...its just past the gothic pub...maybe they changed their minds in opening up as a pub but we just wondered if it may have been listed in a kellys or if anyone may know the story behind it....

many thanks...

lyn:):)

Lyn
There is no mention of the pub in any of the directories by name. However no 190 Great Hampton Row is listed as a beer retailer in 1921 and before, but the building disappears from the directory for several years after that, and when it reappears it is a factory. However the Electoral roll show an Engine Tavern, occupants thomas and Annie Rose in 1930 (but no other year is the name given). No 190 seems to be about half way between Barr st and the Gt Hampton St junction on the western side of Gt. Hampton row. I'm not absolutely certain, but think it is the red building on the map, though it may not have been called that in 1913 , when the map was drawn.
Mike

engine2520tavern2520gt2520hampton2520row25202520c25201913.jpg

thanks mike..thats look about the spot where my bro said the place is..now i must go and have a look at this place as like i said the original sign for the engine tavern is still surposed to be there albeit covered up.....for now:D:D

cheers

lyn:):):)

I can confirm that the Engine Tavern was trading from the 1830's. It was originally a beer house and some publicans are recorded as retail brewers so it was a homebrew house in the 19th century. Other pubs in this thoroughfare include:
Balmoral Inn
Barrel Tavern
Engine Tavern
Minerva Vaults
Prince of Wales
Red Lion
Saint George's Vaults
Sir Robert Peel
Star and Garter
Vampire
White Hart

Cheers
Kieron
www.midlandspubs.co.uk

hi keiron...many thanks for the info..is it possible to confirm the number in gt hampton row...

thanks..

lyn:):)

Hi Lyn
The address has drifted between 190, 190½ and 191 but I imagine the bricks and mortar were fairly rigid!!

Cheers
Kieron

thanks kieron...i will be going down that way early next week....will check it out...its the old pub sign thats still surposed to be somewhere that intrigues me.....will go a hunting then...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

lyn:)

Good luck Lyn, but it shows up on street view, and i can't see where it could be hidden
mike

thanks mike..i will give it a go anyway...weve nothing to lose and everything to gain if its still there...:):)

lyn

hi mike..ive found it..:):) its smack on where you said it would be...more or less opposite what used to be the minerva pub now the hampton which is closed...

its now a clothes shop/warehouse and the old pub sign would be behind the new shop sign.....

i will download the pics later on and if you look very closely you can still see the original old shiney green tiles to the side of the shop sign...also the original brickwork above it...

i must have walked past this building hundreds of times in the past....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

lyn

lol chris...im really excited now as while i was around there i took some pics of another building thats coming down...i was allowed round the back of the place and then i noticed a doorway to the right which leads into another factory or office..i could just see that it still had the old fittings still in...so i asked the site manager if it was possible for me to take a look...:rolleyes: thinking he would say no way he said come back tomorrow when the vehicles are out of the way....there may not be much in there but its worth a look....

ps hope i dont have to wear one of those hard hats..:D:D

lyn

I don't know, women always worrying about their hairstyle . It great you found it. Am looking forward to your pictures, and of the other building when you get in
Mike

dont look much now but this was once ye old engine tavern and behind the shop sign is the old pub sign....

ENGINE TAVERN GT HAMPTON ROW 010.JPG

Last edited:
original brickwork above the sign and also the green tiles of the pub are just visible on the ends above the yellow alarm sign...

ENGINE TAVERN GT HAMPTON ROW 012.JPG

Last edited:
the alley way at the side of the building and original brickwork on the side of it...

ENGINE TAVERN GT HAMPTON ROW 013.JPG ENGINE TAVERN GT HAMPTON ROW 014.JPG

Last edited:
ENGINE TAVERN GT HAMPTON ROW 011.JPG the white wall on the right is the the hampton pub which is almost opposite the engine tavern...formally the minerva vaults now gutted and is yet another clothing warehouse..

Last edited:
Maybe the owner of the shop could be asked to remove it for a smaller one... Convince them with the incentive that it's a tourist attraction and they would get heaps more business from it's exposure...:biggrin:

Chris/Pom :angel:

lol chris...brillient idea....you shall be my watson:D:D:D

i do intend going back and having another look anyway and once i start who knows what i may say:D:D going down in a bit to have a look at that other building i am allowed to go in.....like i say there may not be much in it but i may as well have a look...

will report back post haste....:D:D

lyn

OLD END JAN 2013 014.JPGOLD END JAN 2013 010.JPGjust caught up with this thread again..pics i posted were lost so i took some more on tuesday...pic one shows what used to be the minerva vaults and the white building on the right used to be ye old engine tavern..original brown and green pub tiles are visible to the right and left of the shop name rest of the tiles will be behind it..i did talk to the owner of nightingales and he did confirm that the building used to be a pub...would love to find an pic of this one...
pic 2 shows the what used to be ye old engine pub..

lyn

Nice detective work Lyn. You'd never know Nightingales was once a pub just by looking at it. The building down the side alleyway looks interesting too. Hope someone comes up with a pic of the engine house. Be nice to see what it was once like. Viv.

i know viv...just goes to show we never really know what we are walking past sometimes..i have a feeling finding a pic of this pub may prove difficult but as always i never say never...

lyn

No picture, but, if you superimpose the pub (in red) on the c1889 map on google earth, then it looks as if the bulding down the alley might have belonged to the pub.

area_around_old_engine_pub_superimposed_1.jpg

area_around_old_engine_pub_superimposed_2.jpg

area_around_old_engine_pub_superimposed_3.jpg

thanks mike i think you could be right about that possably brewing their own ale...will go back down soon and have a closer look...

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
That's great Mike and Lyn. The alleyway building on Lyn's photo looks like it has a door/hatch high up through which they probably hoisted the malt, barley etc. (or maybe straw? for horses?). Good to find some of these additional buildings are still around, helps to build up the history of the place. Viv.

great hampton row gothic on the corner..jpgviv and mike ive found this side on shot of the engine pub..think its one of phils...no date but a good chance the engine was open at this point... gt hampton row is on the right..on the corner is the old gothic pub then comes a two story building next to that then the 3 story old engine pub then a taller factory all of which are still standing...

lyn

Good photo Lyn. Looks about 1950s or maybe early 60s. The Gothic looks as it should - Gothic! Never cease to be amazed at the density of pubs/inns/taverns across the city, with some almost next door to each other. Viv.

viv this is probably why most men never made it home for dinner lol...another pub only a mins walk from the minerva and the engine was st georges vaults..corner of gt hampton row/unett st...that went in the 60s but luckily ive got a cracking pic of that one

hi folks popped down to gt hampton row today to take more pics of what was the old engine tavern as we had lost those images...have now reposted them and the thread is now complete...i know this is a tad off topic but as we have mentioned the gothic pub a couple of doors down on here before and there is a photo of it in the good old days here it is now..so sad to see it in the state its in now..

ENGINE TAVERN GT HAMPTON ROW 016.JPG

Last edited:
Back