• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yardley Secondary School Grammar School

I was at Yardley Grammar School during this period (Tranter) and met my wife Margaret , nee Chappell there.
We have been married for over 50 years. Are there any Old Yardlians out there that remember us.?
I played in ist xi cricket team with you in 1965, I was just 16 and in fifth form. Remember you got 7 ducks in row, our rugby team lost only 1 game in 4 years. I scored over 200 points, but no one ever said well played. After Basher Brooks left sport became a joke. I am in touch with several OYs and recently met Cecil Knight who is 84 now

I read Malcolm’s post with tremendous chagrin. That he should remember my statistics so well obviously didn’t rate me as a captain, who would, with a batting average like that?
All credit to his Rugby team, which I know I congratulated many times. I think it was the 5th form team , when I was captain of the 1st team. Sadly , although I remember well to this day my inglorious run of no scores, I cannot remember Mals surname, anymore info?

I read Malcolm’s post with tremendous chagrin. That he should remember my statistics so well obviously didn’t rate me as a captain, who would, with a batting average like that?
All credit to his Rugby team, which I know I congratulated many times. I think it was the 5th form team , when I was captain of the 1st team. Sadly , although I remember well to this day my inglorious run of no scores, I cannot remember Mals surname, anymore info?
Malcolm Fryer was fly half and kicker, other players were Dave Vedmore, John Gibbs, Slim Harrell, Don Westbrook, Bob Carter, Paul Woodcock, Rob Fellows. Hooker was Pete Haran who I tracked down last year in Adelaide last year. Worth googling his amazing life from when he left YGS in 1964.
Maggie was in year above me, but remember her and Christine Rainbow, Ron James, John Compton.

Malcolm Fryer was fly half and kicker, other players were Dave Vedmore, John Gibbs, Slim Harrell, Don Westbrook, Bob Carter, Paul Woodcock, Rob Fellows. Hooker was Pete Haran who I tracked down last year in Adelaide last year. Worth googling his amazing life from when he left YGS in 1964.
Maggie was in year above me, but remember her and Christine Rainbow, Ron James, John Compton.
Colin you were fine as a captain, perhaps you should have dropped yourself down the batting order a bit. Our rugby team covered 2nd, 3rd, & 4th years. 1 defeat by a dodgy ref who blew for time early. Biggest win was 55-6 v King Edwards Camp hill. ( 13 tries & 8 conversions) tries 3points then.

Amongst my YGS memorabilia, which I have managed to keep safely for nigh on 60 years, is the attached photo which is of poor quality and very grainy.

It is class 3a (Form Master Mr R M Stokes) and taken at the War Memorial Hut at Wellsbourne in 1960. I think that only one class at a time attended the camp.

I can only identify a very few of the faces mainly due to the poor quality of the photo but I hope it may stir some memories.

I remember that a few of us met in Acocks Green and cycled to Wellsbourne and it was a very enjoyable weekend.

Attachments

• YGS Wellsbourne.jpg
    YGS Wellsbourne.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 55
Hello Trant

It was taken whilst we were in the 3rd year and in early summer so the year would be 1960.

Clive

I was at Yardley Grammar School during this period (Tranter) and met my wife Margaret , nee Chappell there.
We have been married for over 50 years. Are there any Old Yardlians out there that remember us.?
Cannot remember whether I responded. If not apologies for delay. I was there 1961-1967. Are you the Dave Tranter I remember ? Don Westbrook

Hi Don,
no, my name is Colin Tranter. Didn’t recall any others with the same surname, even in my area, and no relatives of that name.
attended YGS between. 58 and 64 so you were a little after me. Seems a very long time ago. But enjoyed my time there tremendously, particularly the sport. Lived in Sparkbrook . Have you kept in touch with any old Yardlians .?

Hi all

I went to Yardleys secondary school from 1976 until 1983. I stayed on and attended the 6th form.

have lots of fond memories and I was in the “D” class in all my years at the school.

would like to make contact with all that knew me.

Hi all

I went to Yardleys secondary school from 1976 until 1983. I stayed on and attended the 6th form.

have lots of fond memories and I was in the “D” class in all my years at the school.

would like to make contact with all that knew me.
Hello Aftab, welcome to the Forum a really good place with great info and folks enjoy!

I can’t help you with your question but I am sure someone will!

Welcome Aftab. We have a thread about the school so shall move your post to that thread. There are other posts on the thread which might be of interest.

Viv.

Edit. Posts moved to this thread.

Hi I was lucky enough to have been at the Leys and Yardley grammar at the exact swap over to comprehensive status I was lucky to see both sides as I played trumpet and did music which intergrated closely between both schools.
I was there from 1970-76 my most memorable teacher was Mr Dai (David) Vaughn music teacher and trombone player! For anyone who might remember there was a joint (schools) production of Oliver around 1975/6 I played Fagin. That was produced by Mr Garbutt and the sadly now deceased John Simpson. The best of times for me at this point in school.

I attended Yardley G.S. between 1959 and 65. A great school headed by The "WAJ" - Mr W A Jenkins. I remember the school camp very well as in 1964 at the age of 16, I had a little 3 wheeler bubble car (Isetta) and whilst racing some of my school friends who had scooters, on Wellsbourne airfield, I rolled the car. According to some spectators, the car turned over 14 times! Happy days!!
Fudge!
Ron James here. I remember your Isetta catching fire when we shorted out the battery with 3 of us in the front seat (the other guy was John Campton). We had to drive it onto the sports field (the back way) and put the fire our with sand from the long jump pit. Happy Days.

Do you remember Colin Tranter, or Dave Pegg, Brian Hinds maybe ?
I do ... Dave Pegg was in the same class as me and ended up in Jethro Tull, Brian Hinds - Mood Blues. & in Maggie Chappel's and Chris Turley's class and in Colin Tranter's rugby team. Ron James

Colin you were fine as a captain, perhaps you should have dropped yourself down the batting order a bit. Our rugby team covered 2nd, 3rd, & 4th years. 1 defeat by a dodgy ref who blew for time early. Biggest win was 55-6 v King Edwards Camp hill. ( 13 tries & 8 conversions) tries 3points then.
I was in that team and remember all those names! Ron James

I am Russell Powis and was at YGS from 1958 to 1965
Apart from the WAJ I remember
Les Guv Young Latin and sports
Sam Saunders maths
Mr shuttlecock geography
Geoff Brown history but scared the life out of me when he spent a lesson to explain about the Cuban missile crisis
Brian Hobby. French

Recently I have contacted a small number of classmates such as Michael Brown who found fame on TV as a fisherman, John pop Hudson who went onto Bath University

Has anybody heard the DVD. With the 1954 broadcast recording?

I was at Yardley Grammar school from 1974-1976. Great school and great teachers.
Hi Julie, I'm George Leaman. I Just registered. I was there from 1972 to 1977. I remember lots of friends from back then. Rajesh Chauhan, James Good, Shawn Daw, Mark Kalinski, Tony Carrol, Jacquie Savory, Beverley Bishop and many more.I got on particularly well with Chris Watts (PE) and Joan Cain who was my form teacher as well as teaching me French and German. I would love to know what happened to these two teachers or better still make contact with them.

Yardley Grammar School traced itself back the old school in Yardley, next to St Edburgha's. In my time there they used to have a yearly service at the church, for which we got the day off (or was it a half day?), but then the school was in Tyseley so it was a bit of a journey to go to the service. Our uniform was green with a yellow and black stripe in the tie, jumper, socks etc. The school houses were Greswolde, Folliot, Marsden, and ? . Up the other end of the road was Foremans Rd Sec. Mod. Later, Foremans RD was renamed 'The Leys'....can you see where this is going? Later still, after the change to comprehensive education the schools were cobbled together to become Yardleys School. I pass both regularly. The old grammar school,now Yardleys school retains the old school badge, but the blazer is black, the old Foreman Rd sec.mod. is now a Muslim run school, and their pupils were the green blazer! I would have loved to have been around when they brought the two schools together, as in my time there was no love lost between the inmates of either school.
As a relatively newcomer to the forum, I have only just picked up this thread so apologise if others have already supplied the name of the 'missing' house at Yardley Grammar School. I was a pupil there from 1955 to 1959, leaving after 'O' levels to start an apprenticeship with the CEGB at Nechells Power Station.

As I remember, the four houses and their respective colours were: Greswolde, red; Folliot, yellow; Marston (my own house) white and the missing house - Easte, blue. The houses were competitive, house points being awarded for achieving 'standard' performances etc at the inter-house annual games, and cups awarded for winners of events like the mile etc. Every pupil was expected to enter a minimum of three activities and achieve the 'standard' and hence the award of three points to his/her house.

I seem to remember that there was an 'achievement' board up in the hall which recorded the names of 'star' pupils who had stayed on in the 6th form and then went on to obtain a degree at university. I never aspired to such heights - in fact for me to have stayed on in the 6th form would have been a disastrous waste of two years. As it happens, I did go on to get a degree from the University of Birmingham, although that was some years after I had achieved graduate status as a mechanical engineer. I wonder whether that achievement board was reinstated in the new Yardleys School after the amalgamation of Yardley Grammar and Foremans Road schools and whether further names of comprehensive school pupils who went on to obtain degrees were added. Does anyone know?

datadave

I do ... Dave Pegg was in the same class as me and ended up in Jethro Tull, Brian Hinds - Mood Blues. & in Maggie Chappel's and Chris Turley's class and in Colin Tranter's rugby team. Ron James
Hello Ron hope you are well. Where are you living now? I have arranged a few mini reunions with old Ys. Next one is in Solihull 15 th Dec if interested. Regards. Malcolm Fryer

Hello Ron hope you are well. Where are you living now? I have arranged a few mini reunions with old Ys. Next one is in Solihull 15 th Dec if interested. Regards. Malcolm Fryer
Malcolm, I've just picked up this reply, sorry for the delay. I remember you from long ago. Unfortunately, I now live in Sydney, Australia so I can't make the reunions. Stay well. Cheers, Ron

Malcolm, I've just picked up this reply, sorry for the delay. I remember you from long ago. Unfortunately, I now live in Sydney, Australia so I can't make the reunions. Stay well. Cheers, Ron
Ron just been talking to Don Westbrook, tells me his brother Peter pulled you out of bath at old ys. Electrical fault. Peter lives in Sydney as well.Interested in contacting you.

I attended YGS 1960-67 - fond memories. The 1965 under 15 rugby team was superb (too good for me to get a regular game) but many of them left after the 5th form. Really good staff - Eric Prewit became sports master after Basher Brooks.
I don't remember Dave Pegg but have have seen him performing in Fairport Convention many times

Back