• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Yardley library

Nicola C

proper brummie kid
Hi everyone. I went to the Yardley library today and whilst waiting for them to reopen after lunch I noticed this (picture attached) above the door, I have been going to the library for many years and have never seen this before. I thought it might be of some interest.

It says Nutri-mentum Spiritus which in Latin translates to either the nourishment of the spirit or food for the soul according to sources across Google but they may be incorrect.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-12-18 at 17.43.42_576cb4be.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-18 at 17.43.42_576cb4be.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 11
I used to go to Yardley library regularly to fetch books for my Mother and never noticed the scroll/plaque above the door either.

Lovely old fashioned library....

I used to go to Yardley library regularly to fetch books for my Mother and never noticed the scroll/plaque above the door either.

Lovely old fashioned library....
Indeed it is lovely, that's why I go past my local (Ward End) and go to the Yardley one as it's my old one from childhood. The train seat is even still there unchanged from the 90s

i remember Frieze above entrance, public library, Yardley Road, South Yardley

The frieze shows two flying putti, delightfully rounded with blank eyes and a shock of hair, holding an open book bearing the inscription NUTRIMENTUM SPIRITUS, which must roughly translate as 'nourishment for the spirit'. (food for the sole) Their bold, simplified carving complements that of the primitive styled columns supporting the portico and continued above it as decorative features.
1702976258704.jpeg

i remember Frieze above entrance, public library, Yardley Road, South Yardley

The frieze shows two flying putti, delightfully rounded with blank eyes and a shock of hair, holding an open book bearing the inscription NUTRIMENTUM SPIRITUS, which must roughly translate as 'nourishment for the spirit'. (food for the sole) Their bold, simplified carving complements that of the primitive styled columns supporting the portico and continued above it as decorative features.
View attachment 187052
Thanks for your amazing insight Pete that's very interesting

Back