• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW1 relatives in uniform

Eric Gibson

master brummie
When I was in Egypt I was part of an inspection team doing the GOC's inspections, we did the vehicles and our armourers did the guns.
The general inspected the troops on parade, he had a fit when he saw that a captain was wearing a civilian pullover under his uniform coat and had the guy marched off the parade by a couple of MPs.
He was already in a bit of a rage because the steering rod end dropped off his Humber staff car as they reversed into the car park and they'd just driven at 90mph along the Suez Canal road.

rowan

Born a Brummie
As the Day pf Remeberence has arrived I think of family I didnt know who died during both wars my respect goes out to them and all there commarades who were killed with them.
I remember ARTHUR EDWIN BOTT of the KRRC and several other family I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT ABOUT who died in WW1 also am remebering HAROLD BOTT and his family were bombed and were killed in Aston in 1940.
May they all rest in peace

Spargone

master brummie
Relatives, of a sort, I believe. They were the 18000 dogs, of various breeds, countless number of horses, mules and other animals that worked alongside humans in the combat zones.. Many, like their human friends, never made it off the battlefield.
View attachment 138967View attachment 138968View attachment 138969
We tend to think of operations on the Western Front and many are unaware of the East African Campaign where the country was far more hostile than the enemy, disease, lack of water and food being particulary hard on the animals:
"The losses with the mounted troops were enormous - in the period August to October 1916, 2nd Division was issued with 4,470 horses and 1,831 mules while P Division was given 2,168 horses and 1,032 mules. Totalling some 9,501 animals, all would perish before the end of the year. While nothing could be done to cure trypanosomiasis, proper management and feeding could have extended the working lives of the animals by as much as 50 per cent. " [Ross Anderson, "World War 1 in East Africa" -PhD Thesis]